JP Garou Mark of the Wolves AES check. Please, help.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The UniBIOS check and the replaced P ROMs have nothing to do with noisy audio. Clean the cartridge and your console.

FYI I also have MOTW AES. ;)

rodolfocm

Another Striker
YOUR CART IS NOT A BOOT! CLEAN IT!

;)

The UniBIOS check and the replaced P ROMs have nothing to do with noisy audio. Clean the cartridge and your console.

FYI I also have MOTW AES. ;)
I will. Thanks for everything and sorry for asking for so much, it's just that I was worried with the cart. And since it was expensive...
One last question: do you know why the CRC shows the "custom" information? Is it normal?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I will. Thanks for everything and sorry for asking for so much, it's just that I was worried with the cart. And since it was expensive...
One last question: do you know why the CRC shows the "custom" information? Is it normal?

Probably has to do with the fact Garou MOTW's P ROMs are encrypted (except the first bank).

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Probably has to do with the fact Garou MOTW's P ROMs are encrypted (except the first bank).

It may have to do with encryption, but it's strange anyways. I just tested with some encrypted games (Garou, MS4, MS5 and kof2003), all give full CRC32, except for Garou which shows the same "custom" that shows to rodolfocm. Also, I get a different CRC32 on my Garou, but it also shows as OK. Different revision, I guess.

Regards.

rodolfocm

Another Striker
It may have to do with encryption, but it's strange anyways. I just tested with some encrypted games (Garou, MS4, MS5 and kof2003), all give full CRC32, except for Garou which shows the same "custom" that shows to rodolfocm. Also, I get a different CRC32 on my Garou, but it also shows as OK. Different revision, I guess.

Regards.
Cool.
Thanks for all the help! :-)

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member

Regards.

My Garou MOTW AES also shows custom in rom banks 1, 2 and 3. It has P1 and P2 Mask ROMs.

I'm not sure if Metal Slug 4 has encrypted P ROMs.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
DeOxit is your friend. Scratchy audio is usually a connectivity issue. Those pins, even with great care, will corrode over time. Just get yourself a bottle of DeOxit D5 and set to work in cleaning the contacts. It's a painless process, and I've gotten into the habit of cleaning any cart that's been sitting in storage/on-the-shelf for a while with DeOxit before I even try it in the MVS. Keeps the carts and the system squeaky clean.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
Hey guys, once again instead of making a new thread, I thought I might hijack this thread instead.

I've also like to request for any feedback with regards to a copy of Garou which I just bought.

I've made scans of insert and manual some cart pics.

Still practicing trying to open AES carts, but yeah they are tough =(

http://imgur.com/a/ssail

Any feedback would be appreciated. Cheers

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I have found that a couple guitar picks work wonders for opening AES carts. The screen replacement kits (for cell phones) usually include a couple blue plastic tools that are also very nice.

Regards.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I've also like to request for any feedback with regards to a copy of Garou which I just bought.

I've made scans of insert and manual some cart pics.

Excellent photos. I compared them with my copy and either yours an original, or mine's fake, too ;).

With papers like that, there's really no need to open up anything. If necessary, you could also compare
yours with another MotW cart in person, but I can confirm up to 99% yours is genuine.

Enjoy it!

klee123

Zero's Secretary
I have found that a couple guitar picks work wonders for opening AES carts. The screen replacement kits (for cell phones) usually include a couple blue plastic tools that are also very nice.

Regards.

Yeah, I'm considering getting a set of tools. Thanks!

Excellent photos. I compared them with my copy and either yours an original, or mine's fake, too ;).

With papers like that, there's really no need to open up anything. If necessary, you could also compare
yours with another MotW cart in person, but I can confirm up to 99% yours is genuine.

Enjoy it!

Really appreciate the feedback. Thank you =)

I also checked the vents and the PROGLBA board matches with the scan that wyo_vr4 provided which is good.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Your MOTW has a PROGLBA board and the papers are all super sharp, there's no reason to open the cartridge. Like I said, the amount of effort required to fake a game like MOTW with a donor PROGLBA board makes it not worth doing.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
Your MOTW has a PROGLBA board and the papers are all super sharp, there's no reason to open the cartridge. Like I said, the amount of effort required to fake a game like MOTW with a donor PROGLBA board makes it not worth doing.

That's good to hear, thanks!

Also, besides MS3, KOF2K and Garou, which other Neo games used the PROGLBA board?

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
KOF 99 is the only other game. Their PROGLBA boards don't share compatible NEO-SMA decryption chips, which is why for all intents and purposes, PROGLBA means your game is real.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
KOF 99 is the only other game. Their PROGLBA boards don't share compatible NEO-SMA decryption chips, which is why for all intents and purposes, PROGLBA means your game is real.

I see........

Guess that makes it difficult for the other carts I'm looking for.

Is it different with other AES carts such as Last Blade 2?

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Last Blade 2 has unprotected PROG and CHA boards, so it's a lot easier to bootleg it. The only tough part is the 64Mbit CHR ROM chips, which don't have an EPROM equivalent. Flash chips on adapters would work though, or MVS LB2 chips like in the old days.

Generally speaking, pretty much every Neo Geo game after KOF 2000 / Metal Slug 3 will have some form of copy protection on both boards.

Last edited: