AES cart freezes randomly

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Long story short, I made a Shock Troopers conversion back when Tiptonium first started doing this (2006-7?). I was stationed in Okinawa and was able to acquire carts pretty reasonably back then, we had a neo-geo in the arcade locally. I didn't know much about Neo Geo or Neo-Geo.com, but I LOVED shock troopers. Well I found the conversion I did last month in storage. A member on here was able to fix the AES I bought and I have a few games (thanks to those who sold me them). All legit games work WELL, however the Shock troopers reboots at random after about 10 minutes, and then reboots again after about 4-5 and then after that second reboot, reboots whenever I click start to continue past the main screen. Another tech on here said to test player 1 and player 2 on the AES and when I go to start the level, with both players it reboots. What am I missing. Any help would be great.

This is a copy of the board using PAINT (yes, I'm that bad ass), as I don't have a scanner right now. The jumpers match my board, except it looks like two on the BK1 and one on the CHA256 is a solder jumper, yea sorry 2007 version of myself wasn't smart.

*Note the chips are wrong, I just used a screen capture of a SS3 board from another site.

Shocktroopers_BK - Copy.jpgShocktroopers_CHA.jpg

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Change jumpers to match MVS Shock Troopers or an AES game with the same ROM sizes (or as close as you can).

If that doesn't help, check the soldering on the P1 and P2 ROMs. I suspect there's big gobs of flux all over them. Use a toothbrush + alcohol over paper towel to clean off excess flux. Strange crashing and rebooting is typically caused by rosin flux residue (in my experience anyway).

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
PROGBK1Y:
JV5,JV6,J7,J10,J1,JB6,J5,JV8,JV11,J13
CHA256RY:
J2,J3,J9,J10,J11,J12,J13,J14
FOR AES
BB

Last edited:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
It was the god damn shitty power supply. Thanks BB for confirming.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It was the god damn shitty power supply. Thanks BB for confirming.

Most times, it isn't even the power supply, it's the corroded power socket on the AES. Whenever I mod AES systems I swap in new ones if the old one is nasty looking.