Superhero movies chronology

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I've been avoiding superhero movies for years now, plenty of laziness, maybe a bit of snobbery.

I've started watching the avengers cartoon with my kid recently though and have been getting into it, so I've decided to give the genre another go. I haven't seen much, I saw the first avengers film and the first spiderman, other than that I haven't seen any of them since the second batman film with Danny Devito so I'm way, way behind.

I'm looking on IMDB though and it's too confusing to find somewhere to even start, what are the main branches of films and where should I start with each?

Are there branches of films that aren't even worth bothering with?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Start here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe

Pretty much all the MCU films are worth seeing, and Dardevil is a great show

The X-Men films are mostly good. The Last Stand, Origins: Wolverine, and The Wolverine suck but X-Men, X2, First Class, and Days of Future Past are all good.

All Fantastic Four films suck balls without question

The Ang Lee Hulk film sucks

I like the first Raimi Spider-Man, and most people love the second (I don't). The third is pretty much universally hated

The two Amazing Spider-Man films are much more faithful adaptations but worse films in many ways

The first two Blade films are goodish, the third sucks

The Dardevil, Elektra, and Ghost Rider films suck

The Tom Jane Punisher film is decent, the others suck

DC:

For Batman:
-Batman 1966 rules
-Batman 1989 is good
-A lot of people like Batman Returns, but I don't
-Batman Forever and Batman and Robin are universally hated
-Most people adore the Dark Knight Trilogy but I hate it

Superman:
-the first Reeve Superman is good
-most people like the second
-III, IV, and Returns suck ass and so does Sugergirl
-Man of Steel is okay but sets the stage for all the upcoming DC films (Batman vs Superman, Justice League, Flash, Wonder Woman, etc)

The Wes Craven Swamp Thing is a fun campy thriller but not a very faithful adaptation

Keanu Reeves Constantine is also a decent flick, but again a loose adaptation

Steel and Jonah Hex and Green Lantern and Catwoman are awful, avoid at all costs

Stuff like Watchmen, Red, and V for Vendetta are based on stuff from various DC imprints and are generally well regarded

famicommander

15 Year Member
For animated films

God tier:
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Batman: Under the Red Hood
Justice League: the Flashpoint Paradox
Justice League Doom
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Deluxe Edition
Justice League: Gods and Monsters

Great:
Justice League: The New Frontier
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
Batman/Superman: Public Enemies
Batman/Superman: Apocalypse
Wonder Woman
Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam (also contains extended versions of DC Showcase shorts Jonah Hex, Green Arrow, and the Spectre)

Good:
Batman and Mr Freeze: Sub Zero
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Green Lantern First Flight
Green Lantern Emerald Knights
Superman: Doomsday
Superman: Brainiac Attacks
Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
Batman: Assault on Arkham
Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo

Okay:
Superman vs The Elite
Justice League: War
All-Star Superman
Batman: Year One
Superman Unbound

Good for kids:
JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time
Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts
Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem
LEGO Batman: the Movie
LEGO Justice League: Justice League vs Bizarro League
LEGO Justice League: Attack of the Legion of Doom

Bad:
Son of Batman
Batman vs Robin
Batman: Gotham Knight
The Batman vs Dracula

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I actually really wanna see Punisher: Warzone. It appears to me to be faithful to its source, and comic book-ey.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Thanks Famicommander for that comprehensive run down, that puts me in good stead to kick off a movie marathon.

I think I'm going to start with the X-Men films and see how I get on.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Thanks Famicommander for that comprehensive run down, that puts me in good stead to kick off a movie marathon.

I think I'm going to start with the X-Men films and see how I get on.

The X-Men films and the MCU are really the safest bets for live action.

Though I will always maintain that those god tier animated films I listed are ALL better than ANY live action superhero film. Mask of the Phantasm is, by far, the best comic book adaptation film of any sort.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Happened to see Guardians of the Galaxy at a free showing in the park last night. Silly top to bottom. Entertaining I suppose, but good? Meh.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Agreed. Pretty lame-ass made-up characters. "Darwin"... fuck off. I want to see Ice-Man and The Angel.

darwin was in x-men and now in x-factor. he's fairly new (2006) but he wasn't made up for the movie.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Though I will always maintain that those god tier animated films I listed are ALL better than ANY live action superhero film. Mask of the Phantasm is, by far, the best comic book adaptation film of any sort.

Quoted for truth. The problem with live action is it has to be hollywoodized. It seems animated isn't so restrictive, so they can stay closer to the source material and make it more entertaining in general IMHO.

I must be the only person who prefers the Ang Lee hulk over the other versions

Funny story with Ang Lee Hulk. My ex roommate knew a guy who ran a local cheap theatre and he let us watch the movie for free. It was pretty much a party with friends. Afterwards when he closed up shop he sat there and apologised to us all for making us watch that.

Personally if they didn't have the Nick Nolte crap and left it him vs the military (like the Incredible Hulk for the most part) it would have been better.The drama with his father is what made it drag.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Avengers and Iron Man 2 were pretty bad and...... the Thor movies.

I have no idea how they made so much damn money.

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I actually quite enjoyed The Wolverine. I went into it with no expectations and found it to be more enjoyable than Days of Future Past (theatrical). But if you are going to watch the X-Men movies, you shouldn't skip any of them as it makes the finale of Days of Future Past all the more worth it knowing that you did invest in the journey.

I haven't watched the Rogue Cut yet. Gonna save that to closer to the release of Apocalypse.

Last edited: