Well...got to use the term "petabyte" for the first time today.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Long story short, customer wants 100% recording on 110 IP CCTV cameras. 3-20 megapixel cameras.

RAID 5 config, total server storage came to 260Tb...or of a quarter petabyte...

This is the first time I've used this term...it was weird to say it, like the first time I said gigabyte or terabyte...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
niggabyte_zpsjtqcndmd.jpg

PS. FIXED for you... No need to thank me Chaz... You KNOW I love you...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Petabyte...

You realise... someone like Wasabi would say... "Sounds like a man hooker in a sexual act..."

xROTx

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
How are you going to set up cold storage for all that? Not going to be cheap if you go tape.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Long story short, customer wants 100% recording on 110 IP CCTV cameras. 3-20 megapixel cameras.

RAID 5 config, total server storage came to 260Tb...or of a quarter petabyte...

This is the first time I've used this term...it was weird to say it, like the first time I said gigabyte or terabyte...

k2-_18520ab6-ea92-4728-90cb-16ffe21c80a5.v1.jpg

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
How are you going to set up cold storage for all that? Not going to be cheap if you go tape.

You don't...the data is overwritten FIFO. The 30 or 45 days of storage is how long they can record, and store before, the FIFO occurs.

The back end, and rather boring story to this is modern camera use analytics. The don't gum up the network spitting out hours of useless shit. I can use on-board intelligence to record only on motion based events. So if a camera sits there for 24 hours and one 1 event happens for 5 min, all it sends to the NVR is a time stamped, 5 min clip instead of 23hrs, 55 min of shit, and 5 min of event.

This customer is an odd duck and wants 100% recording...so all cameras firing all day, every day, recording countless hours of nothing with things mixed in. That many cameras recording 24/7 is not only nearly 2Gbps of internal network consumption, but it will take a serious amount of HDD space to record all of that useless shit. So now I had to bid new backbone fiber and heavier switch-gear to handle this load...on top of the servers. It drove the bid price nearly $100K...

Just wait until the first time they need to find an event and they have to sift through hours of shit "old-school" style...I guarantee you he'll want motion based recording enabled after that bullshit...

Undefined

Very nice. That guy sounds like the owner of the company where I work in that he is old, rich, and paranoid about everybody and everything. If he knew that he could set up cameras in the way you described I can almost guarantee you I would be making calls out to get a quote.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Very nice. That guy sounds like the owner of the company where I work in that he is old, rich, and paranoid about everybody and everything. If he knew that he could set up cameras in the way you described I can almost guarantee you I would be making calls out to get a quote.

And new CCTV cameras are the shit, too...it is amazing what I can do with just one of them.

Look at this bad-boy:
http://www.arecontvision.com/product/SurroundVideo+Series/AV40185DN#KeyFeatures

True, 180 degrees of coverage over 4x 10 megapixel cameras. Once chassis, one IP address. The thing is smaller than a volleyball. Zero moving parts too...

We install a ton of these little bastards:

http://www.arecontvision.com/product/SurroundVideo+Series/AV12186DN#Description

Again, true 180 degree of coverage, wide dynamic range, 4x 3 megapixel pickups, one IP address, runs on straight POE power (no POE+). Thing is down right tiny...shockingly small for how much space one will cover.

Undefined

Those things look REALLY nice and I'm sure Mr. "paranoid rich guy" would love them but then I am sure he would want to be able to remote view them from anywhere and I do not want to give that guy that kind of access to the system.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
a petabyte will be a three line email in 2 years

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
does he have to register everywhere he lives and knock on neighbors doors explaining his situation?

"Good afternoon.
I'm required by law to inform you that I am a "Petabyte". I represent an enormous amount of data...

And I also want to diddle yer kids."

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
ur sig is outta fucking control but i still say you are 2015 Noob of the Year despite your 2013 registration

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
243.gif

STUPID UPLOADER FUCK THIS GAY EARTH

Attachments

• 2E71frb.gif
    2E71frb.gif
    832.6 KB · Views: 36
  • VrNfPqD.gif
    VrNfPqD.gif
    831.6 KB · Views: 35