Considering switching from NGCD to NG proper

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Will do madman noob error I didn't realise there was a master list on the site my apologies..

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Wow I see, thanks for the info.
Are they reliable in general? I mean lens wise, not need to change them after a while or anything?

I got lucky with a BIN on EBay from the original owner who bought the CDZ from the NeoStore years ago, with 4 games it was $450 shipped, Thrash Rally was a boot so he refunded me like $30 or so. Viewpoint (English) was one of the games, there's a sealed KOF game and another fighter I've never played. Sucker was in perfect condition so I think the price was fair, figure it was basically $390 for the 3 legit games, console, controllers + shipping.

I bought 3 backup lasers which should last way longer than me. It's definitely a little spendy, but I've had no complaints with the loading times, but of course I don't play fighters so that may be part of it.

madman

Will do madman noob error I didn't realise there was a master list on the site my apologies..

No prob, it's easy to forget there are things on this site other than the forums. The Master List is pretty handy and should be 100% accurate. The price guides...not so much.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
It's all down to funds for me if I could afford it AES all the way, hell i bought one like 2 months ago, big mistake unfortunately price's are ridiculous on the games I never in my wildest dreams thought that games go for so much.
Seems like the compromise would be an mvs set up which I'll be putting right shortly.

Buy a MVS to AES converter = problem solved. You can still buy MVS games and play on your AES system.

cat

Yeah I hear you kitkit but I really fancy a consolized mvs should have gone that way in the first place.
I do love my neo CD though got me into the scene and back when I was buying the games they were very reasonable, to give you guy's an example I picked up pulstar for about £30 (English language version as well). Shame that 2 of my favourite neo games aren't available for it, prehistoric isle 2 and blazing star, bit of a shooter fan myself lol...

Last edited:

Shakepants

Crossed Swords Squire
Yeah it's really depressing the way prices are going. Keep the CDZ and the games you got and get a CMVS. Maybe it will ease your transition, and you'll sell the CD stuff later on, or not. :)

cat

Yeah it's really depressing the way prices are going. Keep the CDZ and the games you got and get a CMVS. Maybe it will ease your transition, and you'll sell the CD stuff later on, or not. :)

It'll be not shakepants lol I love the damm thing...

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I love my CDZ but, for any fighter you actually wanna play you're gonna wanna own it on cart. AES or MVS.

Obviously a consolized MVS is a more expensive unit but, it has way better video output and mvs games are cheaper. The issue with mvs imho is I find no collectable value in it what so ever. I need manuals and boxes so you need to spend money and time on those.

AES virtually requires a modded system right away as the original video quality is pure trash.

Theres ups and downs to it all but i'd say a cdz for all none fighters is good and a modded AES for the fighters if you can afford it. MVS is my last choice.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
The issue with mvs imho is I find no collectable value in it what so ever. I need manuals and boxes so you need to spend money and time on those.

That's because you're a shelf queen.

AES virtually requires a modded system right away as the original video quality is pure trash.

Either you're running it on composite or you may need a pair of brand new eyes.

madman

The issue with mvs imho is I find no collectable value in it what so ever. I need manuals and boxes so you need to spend money and time on those.
I feel like we need a separate AES section of the website so these loonies don't mingle with the rest of us.

cat

I feel like we need a separate AES section of the website so these loonies don't mingle with the rest of us.

Lol I love it, glad to see that for most of us it's about the games.
Personally I don't buy games just to look at the box's and manuals i'm a gamer and it's all about the games baby, MVS will do me just fine...

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
That's because you're a shelf queen.

Either you're running it on composite or you may need a pair of brand new eyes.
Shelf queen eh? Me and my wife play our cdz at least an hour to 2 hours every night. Always start with some puzzle bobble and then something else.

Also im probably an idiot but the aes only has composite or rf output without modding right? I think the svideo is super clean on the cdz.

Lol I love it, glad to see that for most of us it's about the games.
Personally I don't buy games just to look at the box's and manuals i'm a gamer and it's all about the games baby, MVS will do me just fine...

I've never got that. Its kinda a stupid mentality. If you just wanna play the games theres sure cheaper ways the MVS too. Its like you're half way on your authentic experience index. OHHH its gotta be a real neogeo but I dont buy games to collect only to play? PS2 collections, xbla and, tons of other systems. MVS is still super expensive on some games. So the whole real gamer argument is straw man all day.

Last edited:

madman

MVS is still super expensive on some games. So the whole real gamer argument is straw man all day.
A "super expensive" MVS cart is what, $150? Unless you're talking something really rare like that 5 on 5 soccer game. How much is the average *GOOD* AES game? What's MS1 cost? MSX? Neo Turf Masters? What'd you pay for Shock Troopers? Oh wait, it's only on the MVS.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Also im probably an idiot but the aes only has composite or rf output without modding right? I think the svideo is super clean on the cdz.

I'm forced to accept your words ( being an idiot ) as all AES output natively RGB. So yeah... take your conclusions.

A "super expensive" MVS cart is what, $150? Unless you're talking something really rare like that 5 on 5 soccer game. How much is the average *GOOD* AES game? What's MS1 cost? MSX? Neo Turf Masters? What'd you pay for Shock Troopers? Oh wait, it's only on the MVS.

:up: This.

The perfect combination would be getting the older titles for AES and newer ones for MVS as well as the exclusives.
Having all of em in both systems would be killer. But killer to our wallets ahah! :-J

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I'm forced to accept your words ( being an idiot ) as all AES output natively RGB. So yeah... take your conclusions.

:up: This.

The perfect combination would be getting the older titles for AES and newer ones for MVS as well as the exclusives.
Having all of em in both systems would be killer. But killer to our wallets ahah! :-J

Ohh yeah not counting rgb as its not native in MURICA on 99% of out tvs so the only choices we have composite or rf. Both of which are awful.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
Ohh yeah not counting rgb as its not native in MURICA on 99% of out tvs so the only choices we have composite or rf. Both of which are awful.
you can also use S-Video. Use the XNEO-1 on the AES and you´ll get also a great picture

xneo-1small.jpg

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Once I nodded my NGCD with a masterbios and was able to use a 3.2 unibios, that made owning a NGCD that much better. Having MVS mode for unlimited coins is awesome.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Once I nodded my NGCD with a masterbios and was able to use a 3.2 unibios, that made owning a NGCD that much better. Having MVS mode for unlimited coins is awesome.

Is it a separate unibios chip from the cartridge version that is needed for the NGCD or?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Is it a separate unibios chip from the cartridge version that is needed for the NGCD or?

Yes, there's two different bios. One for neocd and one for AES/MVS. There's a good guide on neoturfs page to install it, it was really easy.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Main downer to MVS is the high upfront cost. I managed to find an AES for $200 canadian, for me to buy an Omega i would be looking at about $750 Cnd with shipping. With that $500 dollar difference i can build up a relatively decent collection of common AES carts. Id say MVS is worth it if your very familar with neo geo games and Sam Sho 2 and FFS wont cut it anymore and if you just have to play Metal Slug.

Biggest advantage for the neo geo cd is by far the ability to just play burnt games. Not sure if this damage the unit over the time, maybe someone can enlighten me. And the arranged soundtracks are fucking amazing.

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
And the arranged soundtracks are fucking amazing.

As a huge fan of arranged soundtrack, it's true that Neo CD brings a whole new level of awesomeness to the games in general.
But as a fan of fighting games, it's a very tough choice to play on the NEO CD and go through long loading times.
That's one of the reason why I liked KOF 94 on Neo CD, one very LOOOONG loading time, then all fighters show up back to back with no interruptions.