Considering switching from NGCD to NG proper

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
So, I've been thinking of selling my NGCD and getting a proper MVS or AES with multicarts. I've talked to a few folks, and it seems the big issue is missing games. Any other major pros or cons in doing it this way? Am I being dumb in getting rid of the NGCD even if to replace it with an NG? Is the multicart route even feasible and worth it these days?

Curious about your thoughts.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I have both a MVS and a CDZ. I got a multi for my MVS but the sound is hosed on it. Even if it did work, the difficulty settings are off and I'm not sure how the saving of high scores would work, if at all. Maybe someone here knows. Some of the CD games have their own original soundtrack, which is a plus. I also like the Metal Slug exclusives on the CDs and also own the carts for MVS. Some CD games are cheaper than the MVS counterparts. Of course the CD library is limited and playing fighters results in ridiculous load times. However, plenty of people are happy with the multicarts so YMMV. If you want to dump your CD stuff, I'd be interested in what you've got.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I kept my ngcd around for Last Hope PB.

Much cheaper than the cart.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I have a Neo Geo CD and an MVS and I don't see myself parting with either of them. If there are no significant differences between the versions of a given game I get it for whichever system it's cheaper on (usually CD). If the MVS version is noticeably better I get that, and obviously if it's not on CD at all I get it on MVS.

I don't go for multi-carts myself but don't let that stop you.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Cost a big one. No loading times is a huge one. Lack of titles after 1998 is a bummer.

Beyond that, stick with what you got, or just enjoy the best of both worlds and collect/play both.

Go with MVS instead of AES unless you hate having any money in your bank account.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I got rid of my CD because it was taking up space. For me the only thing it was good for was burning games so that I could try them before buying the MVS cart. But I can just use an emulator for that. That's just me though. If you have the space to keep it around, and you don't need the money, then you might as well hang on to it.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
I have AES, MVS and NGCD and I am happy with them. My biggest issue with NGCD is the loading time for some of the fighting games as they take a long time to load. Early titles are still enjoyable. If you are into Neo Turf Masters, only the CD version offers the hidden Scotland course. I would say keep the NGCD system but get rid of all the fighting game CDs.

AES or MVS has no loading time. I would not get into AES if I were you as many AES games are ridiculously expensive nowadays. MVS route is the way to go. I personally do not prefer multicarts. Just invest some $, buy the real thing and enjoy the games!

So, I've been thinking of selling my NGCD and getting a proper MVS or AES with multicarts. I've talked to a few folks, and it seems the big issue is missing games. Any other major pros or cons in doing it this way? Am I being dumb in getting rid of the NGCD even if to replace it with an NG? Is the multicart route even feasible and worth it these days?

Curious about your thoughts.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Multicart = samples before you purchase real thing

I'll keep NGCD for sure. Dont sell anything unless you're pretty sure what you really want to do.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Sold my CDZ back in the 2000's and never looked back. It was fun to play but the load times and reduced/missing sprites compared to the cart versions just weren't doing it for me at the end of the day. MVS is the way to go if you are starting a new collection.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Keep your CD and just scoop an consolized MVS.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I first picked up a CDZ and planned on selling it after consoling an MVS. I ended up keeping it though because the luxury of burning games to preview is too great. Also, I have the feeling that in the near future CDZs will be pretty much impossible to re-buy. I got mine for a steal "broken" on eBay from Japan and it came back to life after a recap.

I would say that going from CD to MVS is definitely an upgrade, but I'm not so sure about CD to AES. I say that because the NGCD has beautiful video and sound output that, from what I understand, the AES would take modifying to achieve. Also, I don't know if you've checked current prices, but the MVS to AES cart converter alone will cost more than your CD sells for. Maybe twice as expensive, unless you have a CD-Z.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
As other people mentioned cost is your big concern here.

The AES multi-carts are difficult to find and expensive. The MVS multicarts are cheaper, but a consolized MVS will generally cost you more than a Japanese AES.

The CD has a lot of games that are reasonably inexpensive even though prices are going up. On the AES prices are as high or higher than any other system out there to build a small library of games for. And a consolized MVS is expensive hardware.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I would say keep the NGCD system but get rid of all the fighting game CDs. MVS route is the way to go. I personally do not prefer multicarts. Just invest some $, buy the real thing and enjoy the games!
this.

Besides Iron Clad what is to miss on the CD?
arranged soundtracks + what oliver posted about NTM. But I personally wouldn't get a NGCD just for those...

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
arranged soundtracks + what oliver posted about NTM. But I personally wouldn't get a NGCD just for those...

Not all AST's sound better than the original soundtracks mind you.
I can easily recal FFS, SamSho I being worse ( this one is pretty sorry at some tracks... Earthquake... ) , Last Resort feels weird without the OST on the very first stage.

On the other hand, KOF95 has a magnificent AST that's worth having that one alone just for that ( plus, it's dirt cheap ).
Some games also just carry the OST onto redbook audio ( Alpha Mission 2, Thrash Rally, Metal Slugs, etc.. )

I really wanna be a bastard now - it doesn't matter which version to get, most don't get played at all :keke:

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks for advice, everyone. It seems there are not many reasons to keep a NGCD, but then again, there's no real reason to get rid of it either.

The MVS multicarts are cheaper, but a consolized MVS will generally cost you more than a Japanese AES.
Are there differences other than price between the two? Anything I can't really play with just multis? Some have said skip the multis, but I only saw sound as a reason why. Anything else?

And a consolized MVS is expensive hardware.
More expensive than a Turbo Duo?

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Are there differences other than price between the two? Anything I can't really play with just multis? Some have said skip the multis, but I only saw sound as a reason why. Anything else?

The multi's don't include every game. I know there are glitches/problems with the games. But I don't own one personally to testify what exactly is "off about them".

More expensive than a Turbo Duo?

I'm not sure what Turbo Duo's go for now. I know the Japanese units go for less than 300.00, but the US Turbo Duo is highly sought after by collectards and as a result is worth considerably more than even a modded thus functionally identical PC engine duo.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I'm not sure what Turbo Duo's go for now. I know the Japanese units go for less than 300.00, but the US Turbo Duo is highly sought after by collectards and as a result is worth considerably more than even a modded thus functionally identical PC engine duo.

Uh...what? Are you sure?
I have a US Duo right here which recently had some trouble with CD audio so I had it recapped with some ceramic resistors or something and its laser replaced for good measure. Works like a charm now, but when I was chatting with the guy who did all that it sounded like Japanese Duos were much more in demand.
Err...well, those are the only ones he had for sale anyway, so that might have something to do with it. :)
Still....first time I hear about US Duos actually being sought after.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
He's right, is duos are worth a LOT more. Most ppl don't even look for them because they cost so much.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I had a CD with a dozen or so games. I sold it, bought it back, and sold it again. Load times were too unbearable. But ultimately, the "AES" is what NEO GEO means to me, and playing games on anything else was robbing that experience from me. Homecarts have tripled in the last two years btw...

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Uh...what? Are you sure?
I have a US Duo right here which recently had some trouble with CD audio so I had it recapped with some ceramic resistors or something and its laser replaced for good measure. Works like a charm now, but when I was chatting with the guy who did all that it sounded like Japanese Duos were much more in demand.
Err...well, those are the only ones he had for sale anyway, so that might have something to do with it. :)
Still....first time I hear about US Duos actually being sought after.

Yeah, I'm quite sure.

There are many times more Japanese Duo's in circulation as there are US units. The reason those are the ones he had for sale (I'm guessing this was Keith Courage?) is they're readily available to obtain in Japan.
US Turbo Duo units are relatively scarce by comparison.

Added in edit:
It's very similar to the supply/demand with the Neo Geo AES. The US ones are far less common than Japanese units and tend to fetch significantly higher prices.

Last edited:

capnd77

Marked Wolf
If you could only have one, then MVS is the logical choice. But in an ideal world, having both would be best. My first Neo console was the CD and I was so disappointed with the load times that after 2 months I sold it and hunted down a cmvs. No regrets at all.