Castlevania Animated Series - On Netflix

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I actually really liked that change, and thought the speakers asking Trevor for help was better in this medium. It built up the tension with the Church like instantly and made you side with the characters that are important to the story in the first place.

Anyway, I thought the show was great. I really wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.

I would have liked the change better if they did something with the big bad church guy. Though there is a chance they'll turn him into Shaft in future episodes it doesn't seem plausible to expect Shaft since he wasn't introduced into the timeline for another 300 years. Other then that they made some low rank shit the turning point baddie for everyone to rally around. IMO it could have been handled better. However don't get me wrong still did enjoy it.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Got a free trial for Netflix and finally watched it. I look forward to the next season.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I liked it. Was a little disappointed when there wasn't any more episodes to watch.

My one issue for me is episode 1. Why did they bother to tell a Dracula backstory? They could have sprinkled that in flash backs or be something a viewer learns over time. Blah, just annoyed me that they spent time humanizing Dracula. Just have him loose it and "be" Dracula. Personally less is more with a backstory. I don't need to be beaten over the head with Dracula's motivation. He's Dracula and he wants to destroy.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I liked it. Was a little disappointed when there wasn't any more episodes to watch.

My one issue for me is episode 1. Why did they bother to tell a Dracula backstory? They could have sprinkled that in flash backs or be something a viewer learns over time. Blah, just annoyed me that they spent time humanizing Dracula. Just have him loose it and "be" Dracula. Personally less is more with a backstory. I don't need to be beaten over the head with Dracula's motivation. He's Dracula and he wants to destroy.

I disagree. It personifies Dracula as having human feelings and human wrath. That backstory and traumatic death makes the viewer sympathetic to the antagonist. You want dracula to murder Wallachia, and you want it to be done brutally.

Dracula being this evil for no reason would be boring and confusing.

I have never followed the timeline or story of any Castlevania game. it was always get bigger whip, kill bigger monsters, kill dracula. I am now somewhat interested in Castlevania again.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It wasn't awful, I'm looking forward to the next season. The writing/dialogue can be pretty mundane but I think it might be due to targeting a younger audience?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It wasn't awful, I'm looking forward to the next season. The writing/dialogue can be pretty mundane but I think it might be due to targeting a younger audience?

ya think? It's a cartoon ya manchild.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
plenty of cartoons meant for mature audiences or at least with better dialogue even when the target is younger.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Looking forward to this...

Nintendo really should let a competent studio do a Starfox series that’s aimed at an older audience.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Looking forward to this...

Nintendo really should let a competent studio do a Starfox series that’s aimed at an older audience.

that would be great. or even a metroid series. would love to see a metroid anime aimed at an older audience.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
looks good. i hope the pacing is a lot more better this season.

I'd like to know exactly how you think the first season wasn't paced well.

It established its world, introduced the character, lore and premise with just enough decompression to explain it to the layman without losing the hardcore fan. It was a nearly perfect compromise in this regard. It had some flaws, sure, but I don't think pacing was among them.

I am not trying to get in a fight with you here. I'm just curious as to what your criticisms are of the pacing. Was it because you were already familiar with the lore and just wanted them to 'get on with it?

RE: Season 2

Bring it on. I was totally surprised by the quality of the first season. The question here will be how they sustain it. We know the characters now. We know the struggle. How will they keep us invested? This, I believe, is the reason we didn't get Grant in the first season-they need to keep adding characters to the mix so that they can infuse the chemistry with some freshness. How will they advance the story lines they've already introduced? Will there be redemption for the Belmont family? Will we learn anything else about Sypha? We're certainly going to get a heaping helping of Alucard this season, and I believe this is because they're setting up a long term vision to eventually adapt SotN.

They've constructed this thing so that they can adapt every game in the mainline series if they choose to go that route, or if it continues to remain profitable enough for them to do so.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
That would attract all those furry degenerates though.

:lolz:

I'd like to know exactly how you think the first season wasn't paced well.

It established its world, introduced the character, lore and premise with just enough decompression to explain it to the layman without losing the hardcore fan. It was a nearly perfect compromise in this regard. It had some flaws, sure, but I don't think pacing was among them.

I am not trying to get in a fight with you here. I'm just curious as to what your criticisms are of the pacing. Was it because you were already familiar with the lore and just wanted them to 'get on with it?

exactly, you just said it your self. the first season was just an introduction and didn't feel like a complete first season. every one expected a little more than just an introduction. i'm not saying it wasn't good, far from it, but i hope the second season gives us a little more.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
RE: Season 2

Bring it on. I was totally surprised by the quality of the first season. The question here will be how they sustain it. We know the characters now. We know the struggle. How will they keep us invested? This, I believe, is the reason we didn't get Grant in the first season-they need to keep adding characters to the mix so that they can infuse the chemistry with some freshness. How will they advance the story lines they've already introduced? Will there be redemption for the Belmont family? Will we learn anything else about Sypha? We're certainly going to get a heaping helping of Alucard this season, and I believe this is because they're setting up a long term vision to eventually adapt SotN.

They've constructed this thing so that they can adapt every game in the mainline series if they choose to go that route, or if it continues to remain profitable enough for them to do so.

Word.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
exactly, you just said it your self. the first season was just an introduction and didn't feel like a complete first season. every one expected a little more than just an introduction. i'm not saying it wasn't good, far from it, but i hope the second season gives us a little more.

Yeah, I'll give you that it felt like it was setting the table.

To me, it feels like an effort to introduce normies to the series in a way that they will understand the characters and become invested in their narratives. There's a big 'Game of Thrones' vibe to this, with the gradual reveals, the lore building, the politics and religion and so forth. Game of Thrones could have been a much better adaptation of the source material, but it was effective in capturing the attention of a mass audience by doing it in this very way. I feel as though showrunners producing fantasy content, with its normally dense mythos and near alien settings, see the formula GoT used and agree that they've broken the code, so to speak. Making it racy with both language and physicality also helps promote the idea that it is 'mature' and, therefore, okay for grown ups to watch late at night as something cerebral.

I imagine that the Netflix adaptation of The Witcher will follow a similar pattern. I'm more curious about how Amazon is going to revisit LotR as a long form prequel (so I've heard), given that it's automatically going to feel familiar and 'old' to normies at this point. They won't be able to 'dirty' it up (the Tolkien Estate won't allow that), so I'm wondering what they can do with this that will make it feel worth revisiting for mass audiences (they've already got the nerds well in hand.)

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
So I'm taking a personal day to get a break from the many responsibilities I have in my real life and I've been watching Season 2.

I'm about half way through. Here are some thoughts, as spoiler free as I can make them.

One of the things I can immediately tell about Castlevania on Netflix is how gifted Warren Ellis is as a writer that can recognize the inherent value in any IP with even a cult following. I saw him work similar magic with G.I. Joe a few years back. In the case of Castlevania, he's effectively mined the lore to produce a compelling interpretation that feels true to the source while weathering it some, seasoning it and taking it in places that the video games never could but which, all things considered, don't really stray too far from the core values of the series' mythology. This has the additional effect, almost unintentionally, of being respectful to the source material. Warren Ellis and Adi Shankar clearly have respect for Castlevania and know how to pay it proper tribute.

But it isn't solely bound by the video games' straightforward presentation. I know that some people are going to have a problem with the pacing of this second season, which spends a great deal of time portraying Dracula as far more than an evil overlord bent on ruining the world. You could ask yourself why Dracula needs depth, but to put it plainly....Dracula is a generic character in Castlevania until SotN breathes some real life into him (so to speak). That conversation between Dracula and Richter ('Have at you!') takes on a life of its own as Dracula's past is explored through the experiences and history of Alucard in SotN, and this game turned Dracula from 'generic bad guy x' into a legitimate character in his own right. This second season spends a lot of time focusing on:

-Dracula's lieutenants and the various bureaucracies and intrigues that motivate them
-Dracula's complex and profound sadness, which is derived from a type of compassion that simply cannot be divorced from the character in this series. It's clear that he is not like other vampires, and this series shows you why.
-The bonds of friendship that slowly, awkwardly form between Alucard, Sypha and Trevor. This is, surprisingly, one of the most profoundly heartwarming relationship dynamics I've seen in a series in some time.

At present, there has been very little action, although it's happened in a few moments. I remember when stories used to be like this; character driven, with brief sparks of violence sprinkled in between scenes that establish tension and empathy for its players. Some people want to just watch gruesome bloodshed and creative methods of slaughter. That's cool. But honestly, action for its own sake in a long form series bores me to death. Look at The Walking Dead, which awkwardly goes out of its way to get more creative and clever with zombie action even though the audience isn't taking it seriously anymore.

I can see that they're still trying to make a series with broad appeal for fans across many genres and levels of engagement. This is a series I could show to my nerd friends who love dark fantasy or to my friends who are normies that like Game of Thrones and football and there is plenty in this series for both of those groups to enjoy.

I am not saying it's 'perfect'. Some of the dialogue could use some cleaning up and some of the humor is too cute and millenial (although thankfully never veering into the dreaded 'Whedonesque' bullshit) for my tastes, but there are some legit great character moments in this series and, if you're patient, the solid foundation for establishment of motivation.

Good shit so far.

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Over all the second season was great and as taiso said had great dynamic between the characters. Very well written I felt.

The pacing of the episodes was slowed by back stories of characters I felt nothing for.

Well worth the watch.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
And I just finished it.

A thoroughly satisfying second season that has me wanting more episodes RIGHT NOW.

Spoiler:
It doesn't really end on a cliffhanger so much as resolves all the character plot threads in such a way that you see where a third season might go if they continue on (which I believe is already confirmed). Or, if they don't continue on, it's a satisfying resolution in that the threat is ended for now but they will someday face new challenges in adventures to come.

Honestly, this is the new template for how to adapt a video game license, IMO. This is even a better, more precise and well handled license than even most anime manage to pull off.

Can't recommend this series enough.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Honestly, this is the new template for how to adapt a video game license, IMO. This is even a better, more precise and well handled license than even most anime manage to pull off.

Can't recommend this series enough.

This says it all.