Art of Fighting 1 - interesting sound "issue" if you will

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
So.. I have an MV-1B board, and a CMVS MV-1C

I use the MV-1B with my supergun which the sound is hooked up through the jamma harness - which is then attenuated which either allows an MVS with stereo from the Jamma to play through separate speakers - or takes a mono Jamma channel and plays through both speakers.

My CMVS with MV-1C has the stereo mod, so any game I throw in will play through stereo. All neo geo games should be stereo capable, but not all MVS boards play stereo from the jamma edge.

Art of fighting plays sound from my supergun no problem, no stereo separation because of the B board, but it plays well.

My MV-1C on the other hand.. it doesn't play sound at all. It plays on every other game I have EXCEPT AOF.

Any ideas? Perhaps I will need a switch to toggle between Jamma mono and stereo for this?

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
If your mv1c has unibios, you can test the audio with its jukebox, to see if it plays or throws an error.

Regards

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
which is then attenuated (via Jasen's customs method with a 4 pole DPDT switch)... which either allows an MVS with stereo from the Jamma to play through separate speakers - or takes a mono Jamma channel and plays through both speakers.

You only need a SPDT(ON-ON) switch to achieve this. I don't know why people don't read my tutorials instead.

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
Although the pictures above (deleted!!!) were for my supergun, I was thinking actually of using an SPST switch in my CMVS to pull mono audio from the jamma and then splitting that between the left and right RCA jacks.

So definitely your way Xian :)

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Although the pictures above were for my supergun, I was thinking actually of using an SPST switch in my CMVS to pull mono audio from the jamma and then splitting that between the left and right RCA jacks.

So in a way, definitely your way Xian :) and much easier/simple than what I've used above for my supergun

If you read my tutorials you can do a fully attenuated mono/stereo switch with the SPDT switch. Using a 4 pole is overboard and superfluous.

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
but wait, after all this... how is it possible that all my mvs games produce sound through my MV-1C through stereo (before jamma edge), except for AOF? very weird

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
but wait, after all this... how is it possible that all my mvs games produce sound through my MV-1C through stereo (before jamma edge), except for AOF? very weird

I've never tried AOF in an MV1C but if there is no sound at all it could be because it requires an SM1 rom to produce the sound which the MV1B/C do not have.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I just tested a legit AoF1 cart in my cmvs, which uses a mv1c. Audio works just as it should.

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
Sorry about that Xian, next time I'll ask you for a link - my apologies.

Well, the weird thing is my MV-1B works with AOF 1, but it's connected via supergun.

My MV-1C, however, the sound is pulled before the jamma edge to create stereo separation. I'm wondering if perhaps the sound (for this game) needs to go through the jamma edge - because the cart is very clean and all my other games work with MV-1C (I really did test all my games)

Also... I do happen to have a Unibios (3.0 I think..) installed.. Maybe that's causing an issue?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The sound should still work on the MV1C. Is the sound pulled directly off the BU9480F?

Also, just to make sure, you are playing the game and not just watching the attract mode, right?

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
Yes I'm playing the game, but I notice it both during attract mode and playing. It's weird right?

The MV-1B no problem on both, MV-1C zip.. nothing. And yes, the stereo is pulled from the 9480 IC. Very funky.

I still wonder if it's the unibios, which is on arcade mode. However after not playing for a while, the unibios will change it's region setting. usually set to USA, last time I tried it out I think it was set to Europe oddly

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Euro is default. If your battery isn't charged it won't keep the settings. Try burning a diagnostic bios and also make a test cart with it so you can test the Z80 portion of the YSA.

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
Here's something that doesn't happen everyday

Last night I figured to try it out again on my MV1C. Not sure if the unibios had anything to deal with the issue or not for sure - but I set it to USA and Arcade.

Sound works!!!

I have no idea why it didn't work before though. The Neo Geo intro sound didn't work, gameplay sound didn't work all before, swapped with other games to test them and they worked but not AOF

Now all of a sudden it's working!

Let's see what happens in the next few days/weeks

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
If I saw this earlier I would have recommended clearing backup RAM. Keep it in mind for next time.