Violent Soldier/Sinistron Appreciation Thread

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
So, I've been a fan of the TG-16/PC-Engine since 1992, and it has been my favorite system since then. It was the first time I saw CD-ROM used effectively (I was disappointed in the Sega CD because it had nothing on par with the Y's ganes) and the system has a unique, specific aesthetic due to its hardware, very different from it's competitors at the time.

However, somehow, I never played Sinistron. All those years, I never played it. I tried it today. Wow, it's fantastic. Not on the is the sound/visuals solid, the gameplay really shines. It's definitely influenced by R-type, and Sol-Feace, but combines them in a cool way. This is the earliest example of a charge shot neutralizing bullets that I can think of (though it's definitely not a bullet hell shooter.)

The scoring mechanic is nothing special, but it's just very well made. At a game over you can even pick whether to start at the beginning of the level or at the checkpoint, so you can gather more powerups if you need to. I always wished the Gradius games would let you do that.

Anyway, this is a hidden gem in the PCE/TG-16 libraray, and I wanted to give a shout out to other fans.

PS--remember the "win the ultimate gaming rig!" contests in EGM? This is the game they were showing on the TV in that ad.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I loved this one, 1cc'd the first time I played, you should check out Paranoia too, another hidden one.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Tried paranoia last night. Very nice game! The graphic tricks are impressive too (I was impressed just with the title screen.). Thanks for the rec!