Rescued AOF3 MVS cart

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I came across an odd Puzzle Bobble bootleg some time ago. It's one of those recycled Puzzle Bobbles from SNK, but it didn't match the usual scans. Instead of being converted from Power Spikes II, this one was made from an Art of Fighting 3. The soldering on the Puzzle Bobble ROMs was unusually clean, I'm sure this was an SNK-made conversion.

I decided to turn this bootleg back into Art of Fighting 3, seemed like a waste not to. All that was needed was a couple of jumper changes. Bizarrely, on the two 74LS139 chips on both boards, pins 1 and 2 were soldered together, had to reverse that as well.

Pics:

Label is upside down...
cgKuokV.jpg

The finished product
HDdTvah.jpg

jxLQCrP.jpg

NGH-096 = AOF3
IyyZHDu.jpg

Would you guys say this is a partial boot or repair?

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I also got a boot Puzzle Bobble, but mine had no clean solders or anything, and it used BK1 and CHA256B boards, so I decided to repurpose it into a Ganryu boot to play. After much effort, it works fine :P.

Regarding your question, I think this would be some kind of conversion? I am assuming all the masked roms were already in place (with SNK-made soldering) and you only put the EPROMs in place?

Regards.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Yes, all the Toshiba chips are factory soldered. All I did was replace the missing ROMs. It's not a boot right? I think it qualifies as a repair.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yes, all the Toshiba chips are factory soldered. All I did was replace the missing ROMs. It's not a boot right? I think it qualifies as a repair.

I'd say repair as well. Nicely done. AOF3 is a beautiful game as well. Scary smooth sprites.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'll allow it if you give me that Neo CD you have for sale. :keke:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I heard you have some mighty nice AES stuff. I'm always up for a trade.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Have you seen the crap I've been selling lately? You missed out in Riding Hero bro.