Art of fighting input lag?

SAKAMOSTRO

Rugal's Thug
Greetings everyone, just started playing again after a couple of years since my first AES, started to play Art of Fighting again and noticed that when you press the C button the character will not punch until you release it. Though the control was damaged and tried another game but no issues, put Art of Fighting 2 this time and the same with button C. Any ideas? Was it intended to be like that to add to the strategy?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I've not played AOF in ages, but doesn't holding A,B or C charge the Spirit meter?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The game doesn't have input lag, it's just that bad.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
It's not input lag, it's intentional. It was their way of trying to add more attacks to the game with a limited number of buttons, but it didn't really work that well.

While you're holding C, you can actually push A or B for separate attacks you wouldn't get otherwise. Holding C and then pressing A with Ryo does a body blow punch, holding C and then pressing B does a quick standing shin kick.

And then of course there's the Ryuko Ranbu desperation move for Ryo/Robert, which requires you to do a qcf + hold C, then press A.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Greetings everyone, just started playing again after a couple of years since my first AES, started to play Art of Fighting again and noticed that when you press the C button the character will not punch until you release it. Though the control was damaged and tried another game but no issues, put Art of Fighting 2 this time and the same with button C. Any ideas? Was it intended to be like that to add to the strategy?
I don't know why they couldn't have had a button combination (instead of using "D") for the taunt move (which drains your opponents spirit). That way they could have freed up all four buttons for punches and kicks. I suppose they wanted to have the "D" button just for spirit taunts, as it was meant to be such a major new feature of the game. Charging was also with one button (A or B), simple to do, unlike for example, KOF94, where you hold (A,B and C). Often when games introduce new moves, they make it easy for players to get the hang of them. Or in fighters, when they introduce a new character, with new movesets, they make the new character more powerful than the other fighters, to encourage people to try them, instead of the old characters. One example is SSF2, where all four of the new characters were quite powerful in comparision to some of the old characters. Or, at least, they all had dragon punch moves.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I fucking loved AOF2; or should I say, I loved how this game looked. It blew me away when I saw it in the arcades. Graphics were so so impressive to me. The gameplay, on the other hand....

And I also hated how balls hard the computer was. It was basically doing moves to snuff yours. In other words, you had no chance unless there was some AI exploit I wasn't aware of. Sad.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I fucking loved AOF2; or should I say, I loved how this game looked. It blew me away when I saw it in the arcades. Graphics were so so impressive to me. The gameplay, on the other hand....

And I also hated how balls hard the computer was. It was basically doing moves to snuff yours. In other words, you had no chance unless there was some AI exploit I wasn't aware of. Sad.
The only way I can beat AOF2 is by exploiting the game engine- by using cheap moves that the AI can't counter. For example, using Takuma's jumping flash kick (even though you have run out of spirit guage), over and over again, at close range, against a blocking opponent, to chip off a little of their energy bar each time, until you finally win (hopefully before the timer runs out). This technique works better on the lower difficulty levels. You can't use it all the time against the tougher opponents like Mr. Big and Geese- you have to mix it up with other techniques, like jumping kicks, sweeps, and standing roundhouse kicks. I don't even know if it's possible to beat the game on MVS difficulty, with normal gameplay, where you do different moves all the time. I suppose it would be, but you wouldn't win as consistently. You have to do this on other fighting games too, use cheap moves (AI exploits) to beat the game's boss, but in AOF2, it's like every character you fight is a boss. IMO, a fighting game shouldn't make you have to do this to beat the game's boss, but a lot of them do, especially SNK fighters ("SNK boss syndrome").

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member

I agree,for me the only art of fighting game that isn't broken is aof 3 and the best way to play with aof characters is the king of fighting series.

Ryuboss

n00b
Art of Fighting - FREAKING AWESOME GAME! Forward back Forward Kick - One of the best fighting moves of all time. Also the most underated. I want to play Art Of Fighting . . . :(

I hope somone can 3D Print Robert Garcia's mini me. Like this Pokemon thing: https://pinshape.com/items/10338-3d-printed-pokemon-action-figure-statue

I know this looks good but I don't think it was printed.

robert-garcia.jpeg

AOF . . . FOREVER > > > :)

@Sakamostro, are you playing on Neo Geo or one of those Emulators?