Thread: Thoughts on going from CRT to LCD in a cab

Earl's Long Lost Brother

Thoughts on going from CRT to LCD in a cab

Sorry if this is a n00b/stupid thread, but I am wanting some opinions on this subject.

I picked up a good condition Dynamo cab last week. However, the monitor is missing the chassis and the tube has noticeable screen burn. I am wanting to pick up a proper arcade grade LCD monitor and saw a few in the $160 to $200ish range on ebay that goes from 15 - 80 khz. The response time was about 16 ms. All displays on www.displaylag.com that come in at 20 ms and under for gaming monitors are considered "excellent."

With all that stuff said, has anyone been satisfied enough with doing the conversion ? As long as the response time is low enough, is there any problems with motion blur or artifacting ?

Side Note: I think I am mainly going to use it with a NAOMI setup.
    Last edited by Black IcE; 08-17-2015 at 12:34 AM.

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy

Everything is going to look stretched unless you use a 4:3 monitor. Naomi games will look okay, but everything else won't look that great.

In with the real hardware, out with the bootlegs......who is this I wonder?

Don't piss off cats or you'll get the Nyanyan Uppercut!

Windjammers Wonder

I played an MVS recently that the owners switched out the original monitor for an LCD and everything just looked bad and stretched. Personally, I wouldn't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    This is Neo-geo.com, panda. Everyone here loves to waste money, obviously.

Earl's Long Lost Brother

I was planning on getting a 4:3.. something along these lines.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-ARCADE-LC...item53f8d1ceb9

Figured I would stick with a NAOMI setup for picture quality using a modified dimm board for CF games.

Quote Originally Posted by Black IcE View Post
    I was planning on getting a 4:3.. something along these lines.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-ARCADE-LC...item53f8d1ceb9

Figured I would stick with a NAOMI setup for picture quality using a modified dimm board for CF games.

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

That ain't 4:3. That's 5:4.

I wonder if that monitor has a 4:3 display option. Otherwise everything would be stretched vertically.
    Last edited by Yodd; 08-18-2015 at 08:18 AM.
    Terraonion Team Member

Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on Youtube!

Follow me on Twitter @ToddsNerdCave

Chin's Drinking Partner

The worst part about an lcd will be the introduction of lag into your games and is largely dependant on the monitor you choose. Not all panels are equal in that regard.

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser

Quote Originally Posted by ballzdeepx View Post
    The worst part about an lcd will be the introduction of lag into your games and is largely dependant on the monitor you choose. Not all panels are equal in that regard.
    from the first post:

Quote Originally Posted by Black IcE View Post
    The response time was about 16 ms. All displays on www.displaylag.com that come in at 20 ms and under for gaming monitors are considered "excellent."
    he's aware of the lag and has found one that offers "excellent" response time.
    It's impossible to be a nice guy on the internet.

Chin's Drinking Partner

Ah yeah, reading comp fail on my part.

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser

Quote Originally Posted by ballzdeepx View Post
    Ah yeah, reading comp fail on my part.
    it's cool homie, no malice intended by my comment
    It's impossible to be a nice guy on the internet.

Whilst Drunk.
    I Found God.
    Booze = Bad.

i put in an LCD in a cocktail cab I have. With one of those GBS8220's in it going through a godlike controls scanline generator. I use it for Mahjong, which is perfectly fine on an LCD. That said, I tried to replicate the same setup for other JAMMA stuff and it was AWFUL. The GBS8220's have about a 1 frame lag on them, which makes all but the slowest games unplayable. Forget even trying a shmup. Just terrible.

Does anyone know of a better RGB--->VGA converter than the GBS ones?

Another Striker

Just to be a total pedant, response time on LCD panels is NOT the same as input delay, but is a component of it. It's easy to find panels with response times down to 2ms but there's no way that is the input delay value - which is never reported by manufacturers.

1:1 pixel display monitors can be useful, but at the resolutions we're looking at you'll only get a postage stamp sized screen.

You'll need an RGB->(something your panel will accept) converter, and if you like scanlines (I can't understand how people exist that don't), a scanline generator. For the former, you can go cheap and slightly-nasty with the GBS8220 as mentioned above. There are in the works a few hobbyist projects to create better solutions, but as of yet I don't know of any. There's the oft-mentioned xrgb devices, but I believe they also introduce lag.

But wow, the removal of maintenance burden by using an LCD instead of CRT is like a weight off your back... especially when you have to take the tube to be repaired DD
    There is no knowledge that is not power

Earl's Long Lost Brother

This is an out of my ass side comment, but I was having a "What If" moment today. I was wondering if "they" would ever make a curved LCD screen to mimic or recreate some of the form factor of CRTs (replacement arcade monitors in mind)? I know there are differences between CRT and LCD performance. However, as technologies improve... I could imagine something getting somewhat acceptable in performance.

Kyo's Flame
    Sunnyvale, CA http://www.twitch.tv/danadamkof

Quote Originally Posted by pixeljunkie View Post
    i put in an LCD in a cocktail cab I have. With one of those GBS8220's in it going through a godlike controls scanline generator. I use it for Mahjong, which is perfectly fine on an LCD. That said, I tried to replicate the same setup for other JAMMA stuff and it was AWFUL. The GBS8220's have about a 1 frame lag on them, which makes all but the slowest games unplayable. Forget even trying a shmup. Just terrible.

Does anyone know of a better RGB--->VGA converter than the GBS ones?
    XRGB series.

Crossed Swords Squire

Personally LCD will only go in my cabs the day I can't find CRT's anymore. Think I'm set for life.

New Challenger

I installed a Samsung computer LCD monitor along with a two slot Mvs that I had laying around in cheap Cab that I picked up. I spent less than $50 for everything. Good enough for my kids and I to have some Metal Slug fun. If I find a cheap CRT I'll install it but for the time being ill survive!

Thread Information