Help with consolizing Atomiswave

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I have my own Atomiswave I bought thinking I'd be able to figure out how to consolize the thing. That... didn't go as planned. If anyone would be able to help as part of a commission (read: paid), please let me know. In the meantime I've been playing via emulator, and it's just not the same. I really want to get this little red box running :).

Thanks.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not willing to do the work, but I can give you advice.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Advice is better than a sharp stick in the eye haha.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My advice would be to not put sharp sticks in your eye.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
My advice would be: do not consolize the AW. Instead, build your own supergun. It's fun, you will learn in the process, not hard, and you will have a device that lets you play most (if not all) JAMMA boards out there. I bought my AW with the same plans, after getting it, I realized it would be harder than I thought, changed my mind, built an SG, never looked back. Now I can play CPS1, CPS2 and PGM games using it.

Regards.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Thread moved... OI! Daytona... just stick it in the right forum please man...

xROTx

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Yeah man, the Atomiswave only has like 3 games. Get/build a supergun instead.
You can get some compact and neat little guns.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I think you guys might be right. I'll look into doing a supergun. I really like the atomiswave, maybe more than most. But if I can also use this for the Naomi and neo geo mvs I might kill three birds with one stone.

Sorry about the thread. I thought asking for a commission would be acceptable in the market section. It was only suggested to offer me help after my post.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Ok, just curious. I just realized (yes, I'm a bit slow on the draw haha) that there are these supergun units out there with controls and speakers built in. This is pretty interesting, and seems like a decent set up. Do I need to do anything to play an Atomiswave or MVS if I used a Combo AV supergun with these two units? Only reason why I asked is I saw one picture of one of these being used on an Atomiswave, and it seemed there was a white wire soldered to another loom....which I don't know what it does. Any clues?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Ok, just curious. I just realized (yes, I'm a bit slow on the draw haha) that there are these supergun units out there with controls and speakers built in. This is pretty interesting, and seems like a decent set up. Do I need to do anything to play an Atomiswave or MVS if I used a Combo AV supergun with these two units? Only reason why I asked is I saw one picture of one of these being used on an Atomiswave, and it seemed there was a white wire soldered to another loom....which I don't know what it does. Any clues?

From my perspective, a supergun with included audio and controllers is not very interesting. You want removable controllers that use the Neogeo pinout (at least) so you can replace them easily, and since most monitors where you will plug the SG have audio, you gain nothing having it included. For the Video of the SG you need an encoder (Neobitz is plain great) and for the audio, a couple resistors and a switch, because MVS uses a different audio system than most JAMMA boards.

Regards.

mikey

Marked Wolf
I agree with Aha, better to build something that allows for removable controllers and A/V output. Crap happens to things, so if you have the ability to easily use a different controller or plug into a different sound system you'll be better off. Plus, if you're playing your boards on your home theater set up or something, you'll want proper audio output to use on your system and not be stuck with a small speaker in your supergun.

As for the Atomiswave, a good mod worth doing is tapping line level stereo out and adding a 3.5mm jack or RCA outputs to it. There are tutorials out there on how that are easy to find.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Ok, good to know. I need to look into how to do the resisters/switch/neobitz thing. I wasn't aware that needed to be done. I'll figure this out, I know it, haha. If I can't figure out how to make my own does anyone on these boards make superguns that work on both mvs and atomiswave out of the box?

Thanks again, guys.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Ok, good to know. I need to look into how to do the resisters/switch/neobitz thing. I wasn't aware that needed to be done. I'll figure this out, I know it, haha. If I can't figure out how to make my own does anyone on these boards make superguns that work on both mvs and atomiswave out of the box?

Thanks again, guys.

Note that you need the encoder only if you do not have a monitor that can use RGB. What encoders do is convert the RGB native output of JAMMA boards into component/svideo/composite video that can be used by most regular televisions. If you have an RGB monitor/display (like Sony PVMs) you do not need the encoder. In these forums, user Xian Xi builds great superguns, try PM him. There are other users that can build them, but for some reason only Xian Xi sticks to my mind.

Regards.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Note that you need the encoder only if you do not have a monitor that can use RGB. What encoders do is convert the RGB native output of JAMMA boards into component/svideo/composite video that can be used by most regular televisions. If you have an RGB monitor/display (like Sony PVMs) you do not need the encoder. In these forums, user Xian Xi builds great superguns, try PM him. There are other users that can build them, but for some reason only Xian Xi sticks to my mind.

Regards.

XX is overbooked at the moment and isn't taking new orders.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I use the Vogatek MK5 for my supergun. Paid way less than the parts and shipping would have cost to build my own.

https://www.vogatek.com/ - I've been told that sometimes it's hard to get the seller to provide the goods from this site. I believe the maker used to sell on here. I use the MK5 all the time on my atomiswave, especially if you just use VGA for video.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
What exactly went wrong? I built one years ago and that was a nightmare. Currently trying to finish off the 2nd one and that too wasn't much fun.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nightmare? As far as consolizations go it's pretty straight forward. I probably wouldn't do it again though now that I finally have a supergun.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Taking stereo off of the front connector (or the motherboard) never seems to work and I wasn't too happy when the heat spreading pad ripped off the to half of the CPU when I removed the metal bottom plate.