Atomiswave color issue

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I got an Atomiswave recently and it'll work fine in my jamma Supergun in both 15khz and 32khz resolutions.
However, I'm having picture problems with it when I try to hook it up to my Sega Astro City (Nanao MS8-29FSG monitor) running in 15khz mode.

Here's the washed out image of what the Atomiswave shows on my Sega Astro City cab:
20150808_205657_zpst3i89uqv.jpg

20150808_203037_zps3yzhid4n.jpg

For reference, here is what the Atomiswave looks like via my Supergun:
20150808_213513_zps5cdffjv3.jpg

If I hook my MVS up to my Sega Astro City cab (or any other Jamma boards), then the picture is perfect:
20150808_210036_zpsmnjdpz9c.jpg

Thoughts? @_@

Last edited:

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Isn't atomiswave running default at 30k ? And your cab is 15k ... that is what comes to mind first.

Try to bring all the RGB and the flyback brightness all down and see if you can get a decent picture.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Did you set the AW to the correct output sync type via the dipswitches?

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Did you set the AW to the correct output sync type via the dipswitches?

As far as I'm aware, these are the combinations that I've tried...

Dip 1 OFF / Dip 2 OFF = 15khz

Dip 1 ON / Dip 2 OFF = 32khz

Dip 1or2 ON / Dip 2 ON = service menu upon book

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is that cab the one with the switchable termination from 75ohm to 1kohm?

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Is that cab the one with the switchable termination from 75ohm to 1kohm?

Is there any particular place on the remote board or chassis that I should be looking for the Termination auto/fixed switch? Not totally sure what I'm searching for. (Here's a picture of a Nanao MS8-29FSG chassis.)

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I also just experienced this issue with my Super neo 29 candy. Same extremely bright image with washed out colours. Is the fix some resistors on the video outputs?
I prefer the super neo over the blast due to simplicity but it seems a real pain in the ass to have a pcb locked to a particular cab.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I also just experienced this issue with my Super neo 29 candy. Same extremely bright image with washed out colours. Is the fix some resistors on the video outputs?
I prefer the super neo over the blast due to simplicity but it seems a real pain in the ass to have a pcb locked to a particular cab.

I haven't tried adding resistors yet (lack of time), but it seems possible that that would be the solution (especially as my supergun has resistors on the color lines). Probably be best to make a custom jamma harness so that they aren't messing with your actual cab wiring.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I just remembered, when playing with an Atomiswave before I noticed that if your 12v line is low it gives funky colors sometimes.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I haven't tried adding resistors yet (lack of time), but it seems possible that that would be the solution (especially as my supergun has resistors on the color lines). Probably be best to make a custom jamma harness so that they aren't messing with your actual cab wiring.

Yeah I was thinking it would be easy to get a 56pin finger board and a female JAMMA connector, solder the finger board to the pins and add in whatever pots or resistors. Like an adapter card!

I just remembered, when playing with an Atomiswave before I noticed that if your 12v line is low it gives funky colors sometimes.

I'll check this, my 12v was reading at 11.96 without load. Maybe its dropping below acceptable spec.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Wanted to give an update on this topic.

I rigged up a fingerboard where I could pass the R/G/B video lines through some resistors and that definitely DID fix my issue. The coloring is still a bit light (tweaking the contrast makes it darker, but it doesn't completely help make the Atomiswave inky black), but it's definitely a huge improvement over the bleached out colors.

I also had to run my Atomiswave through it's own power supply as my bootleg Dolphin Blue cart loves to lock-up the system if it's not getting around 5.05v~5.10v.

Now if I could just figure out why Dolphin Blue only recognizes Player 2's inputs on my Sega Astro City and I'll be all set.