The bicycling thread.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I used to cycle when i was in college. Backed away from it for a while. Then I hastily bought a craigslist bike (an old trek 800 that was slightly too small) a couple years back. I rode it for a little while then went back to the gym.

Recently I have been stuck in a fitness plateau where my cardio cant match where the rest of me is and I end up gassed before i get any real work in. I started riding again on the old trek and now I have been bitten by the bug again.

The trek needs to go- I need something that fits me better. I cant afford a crazy expensive bike (nor is my skill level there yet) so after a lot of research I'm planning on picking up a highly upgradable (but very entry level) bike with a great starter frame. I'll do some upgrades early on and have it riding like a much higher class of bike soon enough.

Anyways- Im hitting a local beginner trail that is about a 5 mile loop and im doing that every day combining with some mild hiking hill climbs a couple times a week in addition to my gym work and it really seems to have reinvigorated my workout regimen.

Who else is riding?

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
I used to cycle when i was in college. Backed away from it for a while. Then I hastily bought a craigslist bike (an old trek 800 that was slightly too small) a couple years back. I rode it for a little while then went back to the gym.

Recently I have been stuck in a fitness plateau where my cardio cant match where the rest of me is and I end up gassed before i get any real work in. I started riding again on the old trek and now I have been bitten by the bug again.

The trek needs to go- I need something that fits me better. I cant afford a crazy expensive bike (nor is my skill level there yet) so after a lot of research I'm planning on picking up a highly upgradable (but very entry level) bike with a great starter frame. I'll do some upgrades early on and have it riding like a much higher class of bike soon enough.

Anyways- Im hitting a local beginner trail that is about a 5 mile loop and im doing that every day combining with some mild hiking hill climbs a couple times a week in addition to my gym work and it really seems to have reinvigorated my workout regimen.

Who else is riding?

I go mountain biking kind of frequently, and ride my Yeti AS-R 7 to the gym and back 4 times a week. It's about a 3 mile round trip each day plus the few hours I'm out on the weekends on trails every now and again. It definitely isn't the greatest ride on the streets, but bombing down trails is amazing on the thing.

Good luck with your search!

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I go mountain biking kind of frequently, and ride my Yeti AS-R 7 to the gym and back 4 times a week. It's about a 3 mile round trip each day plus the few hours I'm out on the weekends on trails every now and again. It definitely isn't the greatest ride on the streets, but bombing down trails is amazing on the thing.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks! Im pretty set on the bike im looking at and had a chance to demo a stock one as well as one that was mildly upgraded. Its just a matter of buying it and some initial upgrades. Then i can improve it as i go.

Im something of an analytics whore, so i grabbed a pretty decent little app (bikebrain) for odometer/ mapping/ speed/ cadence and im already seeing some improvement even on my ill fitting trek.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I haven't head a bike in about ten years. My last one was stolen and I just never replaced it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Smokes and I have been cycling avidly for years while being members here. I've always rode, even since I was a kid as cycling is a national sport that Colombians are well known for (Tour de France, Vuelta a Colombia) I ride an average of 100 to 125 miles weekly, I used to do close to 175 miles weekly but ever since having discs and sciatic nerve problems I've been cutting back, doctor's orders. I think Smokes does 50 miles weekly but in one shot, I think that's what he said last time we spoke about it.

I have 3 bikes, a Specialized Road Bike which is my bread and butter, a Hybrid Trek DS 8.2 which is my Recreational bike as it can do both off road with front suspension and road if need be, not the best for dedicated road or off road but I this is my bike I take with me on vacation as I can just do whatever I want with it, it's a jack of all trades master of none sort of bike but it's convenient. I've thrown this thing into some pretty rough trails, expert level, made it out alive, 29" wheels are not the best for expert trails, 26" is better for much more control but hey it does the job. My third bike is just an urban Trek FX, cheap like 500 bucks, nothing especial but perfect for the city and it's so mundane looking that it's perfect for going out to downtown crossings and leaving it chained without worries of getting stolen for being to flashy. I also ride around the city sometimes, I'll take a whole day and just go around and take my time, I love riding.

I ride in Florida a lot as well, form FT. Lauderdale down to Miami South Beach, it's a great ride down A1A.

There was a thread for this before but all the ignorant driving douchebags clogged it with arguments on how cyclist should ride on the road when the fuckers have no idea whatsoever what it is to ride on the road or share the road with cars.

Anything under 10 miles is not even a warm up so try to step it up a level there fellas. Off roading on trails from intermediate to expert a good 5 miles is a great work out, but if it's just off road flat trails you mind as well stick to the road and get some real exercise if that's what you're riding for 'cause the off road isn't going to encourage you to put the mileage due to the constant shake, subconsciously your body makes you stop quickly after a few miles.

Edit Note: OP, you're still a piece of shit in my book but I do love cycling so...

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Big time cyclist here...I ride road (mostly)...well, not an insane cyclist, but 2000+ miles/year is common for me.

I currently have a pretty aggressive Specialized Tarmac, which is a race geometry frame and not something I'd recommend for a casual rider (it's too aggressive for me at times). It's lightning fast and responsive, but man will you pay for it. I did a 50 mile ride on it last week and it made me suffer for all of that performance.

On topic...

When my wife's bike took a dump a few months back, we bought her a Trek 7.3...which is a great bike. Not too expensive, nice group set, good on tarmac and on light gravel, can accept road or light off-road tires, flat bars. Even though it's a bit too small for me, I took it out a few times and it's a great bike, just aggressive enough, fast riding and the group components it came with work well and should offer a good life span. The line spans from a 7.1 to I believe a 7.5...each is a step up. I felt the .3 offered the best bang for the buck. If I recall properly, it set us back $700 or so out the door...but that may be a bit high, perhaps is was the mid $600's.

Give one a look, if it's in your price range, you might really enjoy one.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Big time cyclist here...I ride road (mostly)...well, not an insane cyclist, but 2000+ miles/year is common for me.

I currently have a pretty aggressive Specialized Tarmac, which is a race geometry frame and not something I'd recommend for a casual rider (it's too aggressive for me at times). It's lightning fast and responsive, but man will you pay for it. I did a 50 mile ride on it last week and it made me suffer for all of that performance.

On topic...

When my wife's bike took a dump a few months back, we bought her a Trek 7.3...which is a great bike. Not too expensive, nice group set, good on tarmac and on light gravel, can accept road or light off-road tires, flat bars. Even though it's a bit too small for me, I took it out a few times and it's a great bike, just aggressive enough, fast riding and the group components it came with work well and should offer a good life span. The line spans from a 7.1 to I believe a 7.5...each is a step up. I felt the .3 offered the best bang for the buck. If I recall properly, it set us back $700 or so out the door...but that may be a bit high, perhaps is was the mid $600's.

Give one a look, if it's in your price range, you might really enjoy one.

I was a mountain bike guy but i appreciate the advice. I'm really looking to take it pretty basic here, Im doing a couple of loops on the local trail now and will be testing myself out on something a little more rugged (still novice level though) in the coming weeks when I can get my steam up. My main intent was the cardio, but after being off a bike for so long, i forgot how fun it was.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Mostly a rode bike guy, but love to mountain bike when I get the chance.

I like the older, steel stuff. I have a 1970s schwinn paramount, but my main ride is an old Jack Hearne. A bit aggressive, buy still alot of fun. I've been meaning to build a little 2 speed bike to commute to work on.

I'd recommend trying a road bike if you get the chance. You don't have to go long distances either, just put it in high gear and give your legs a workout

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I was a mountain bike guy but i appreciate the advice. I'm really looking to take it pretty basic here, Im doing a couple of loops on the local trail now and will be testing myself out on something a little more rugged (still novice level though) in the coming weeks when I can get my steam up. My main intent was the cardio, but after being off a bike for so long, i forgot how fun it was.

All I can offer is my personal views/thoughts.

I rode trails for years, tried to start back up on trail in the early 2000s...but it beat me up pretty good. Gave up, got fat...lost some weight and started road riding in 2012. The speed, precision, and endurance of it really appealed to me vs trail riding (at least trail riding in the woods here in Illinois).

Save the geometry of my road bike, it is quite easy on my rapidly aging frame. I can do long session rides, good solid cardio workouts and live to tell the tale. It's not something I expected to do, but I've personally converted many a runner and trail rider to road cycling. Somehow, riding town to town is more interesting that trail riding...and if you leave out that pesky "getting hit by a car" element, it's safer too...

My main intent was the cardio, but after being off a bike for so long, i forgot how fun it was.

This, started for exercise, stuck with it because of the fun. Cycling was a major factor in helping me lose about 150 pounds in a year and a half at one point in my life.

At my most active I would ride my bike to work and go on 2 to 3 rides a day sometimes. Easily doing over a hundred miles a week on a single speed bmx bike.

I started out with mountain biking and worked my way down to bmx, which is all I do now.

I would like to see some bike pics with build lists in this thread, I'll take some pics in the next few days and start it off.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Mostly a rode bike guy, but love to mountain bike when I get the chance.

I like the older, steel stuff. I have a 1970s schwinn paramount, but my main ride is an old Jack Hearne. A bit aggressive, buy still alot of fun. I've been meaning to build a little 2 speed bike to commute to work on.

I'd recommend trying a road bike if you get the chance. You don't have to go long distances either, just put it in high gear and give your legs a workout

My favorite part is my ability to pick my custom session. I've been doing a good about of zone 2 heart rate sessions...cycling is an exercise where you can do something like that…

I would like to see some bike pics with build lists in this thread, I'll take some pics in the next few days and start it off.

We'll…if there's anything I love almost as much as actually cycling…its cycling gear.

So…here's my current rig:
saddle_zpsdroskn2n.jpg

Here's the breakdown of current stuff:

Frame/fork- 2012 Specialized Tarmac SL2 "Saxo Bank" colorway
Seatpost- S-Works CG-R
Saddle- Specialized Romin EVO Pro
Stem- Specialized Pro
Handlebars- Ritchey EVOCurve
Wheels- ROL Race SL
Current Tires- Michelin Pro 4 Endurance v2 (just put these one last week after my Pro 4 Service Course died)

Group set:
-Shifters- Shimano 105 5800
-Brakes- Shimano Ultegra 6800
-F. Derail- Shimano 105 5800
-R. Derail- Shimano 105 5800
-Casette- Shimano 105 5800 11-28 11 speed
-Crank- FSA Gossamer BB30
-Chainrings- Praxis 52/36
-Chain Shimano 105 5800
-Pedals- Shimano Ultegra 6800 SPD-SL

Others items:
-Specialized Rib Cage bottle cages
-K-Edge chain catcher
-Lezyne saddle bag
-Garmin Edge 500 -w- cadence/speed and HR monitor
-Bar-Fly Garmin mount
-Bar tape (current) Supakaz red/white…

…as you can tell…I heart my bike...

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
specialized crosstrail if you do mixed conditions but mostly road.

Not expensive.
very durable.
light
road worthy with some trails.

i do about 1000 miles a year.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
specialized crosstrail if you do mixed conditions but mostly road.

Not expensive.
very durable.
light
road worthy with some trails.

i do about 1000 miles a year.

Crosstrail is a really good bike…heavy, but it will get the job done. I have a '12 Crossroads that I have beaten the crap out of…and it just keeps ticking. Thing is so damn cush, it rides like a caddy compared to my road bike. It will do tarmac, grass, gravel…all pretty well. It's a great bike for family riding or as a commuter. The farthest I've taken it is on a 25 mile ride and that was a haul for such a heavy thing…but it was fun.

I am getting into ride/session as of late and was doing 10 miles on the Crossroads and a 1 mile run…pretty good workouts, really.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I have a Specialized Allez Roadbike. It's only around $700-$800 and keeps up with the best of them. Very happy with it.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
My favorite part is my ability to pick my custom session. I've been doing a good about of zone 2 heart rate sessions...cycling is an exercise where you can do something like that…

We'll…if there's anything I love almost as much as actually cycling…its cycling gear.

So…here's my current rig:
saddle_zpsdroskn2n.jpg

Here's the breakdown of current stuff:

Frame/fork- 2012 Specialized Tarmac SL2 "Saxo Bank" colorway
Seatpost- S-Works CG-R
Saddle- Specialized Romin EVO Pro
Stem- Specialized Pro
Handlebars- Ritchey EVOCurve
Wheels- ROL Race SL
Current Tires- Michelin Pro 4 Endurance v2 (just put these one last week after my Pro 4 Service Course died)

Group set:
-Shifters- Shimano 105 5800
-Brakes- Shimano Ultegra 6800
-F. Derail- Shimano 105 5800
-R. Derail- Shimano 105 5800
-Casette- Shimano 105 5800 11-28 11 speed
-Crank- FSA Gossamer BB30
-Chainrings- Praxis 52/36
-Chain Shimano 105 5800
-Pedals- Shimano Ultegra 6800 SPD-SL

Others items:
-Specialized Rib Cage bottle cages
-K-Edge chain catcher
-Lezyne saddle bag
-Garmin Edge 500 -w- cadence/speed and HR monitor
-Bar-Fly Garmin mount
-Bar tape (current) Supakaz red/white…

…as you can tell…I heart my bike...
Nice setup. Can't post pics, but I can list my goodies:

1972 Schwinn Paramount -
Full Campagnolo Nuovo Record gearset, headset, etc. Cinelli bars, Campy hubs with stainless steel spokes on Rigida wheels. I forget what brand the saddle is. Begins with an A. Still looking for a schwinn bottle cage.

Jack Hearne-
Campagnolo Athena groupset and wheels, 3ttt seat post with brooks saddle. Italiamanubri headset / bars

I would love to find a Hetchins at a decent price, but that's a pipe dream.

Road riding is so easy on the body. I started by just riding to and from the gym, then once a week to work. Got in shape real fast. Once I found some nice paved trails, it was easy to go farther and farther.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I was into mountain biking growing up. My family owns a large amount of acreage, full of trails cut by our horses. I had a lot of fun blasting down narrow trails in the woods.

I never had anything fancier than a 21 speed Giant. I was more into riding than the gear. My wife has mentioned us getting into cycling. A Cannondale setup would be pretty badass.:cool:

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Cannondale is great and so is Giant.

Cannondale, Felt, Giant, Trek, Specialized, Cervelo...all make really great bikes that are all over the place in terms of availability for test rides. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Absolutely. Best advice anyone ever gave me when I started to get back into cycling while here in the US was; DO NOT BUY FROM DEPARTMENT STORES, just shop from a bike shop, even their low end bikes are better than anything you can find at those big stores.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I always felt that the best way to get a nice bike is get a high end bike that's a few years old aka craigslist. I've found bikes that where $2k+ new for $600. Just need to do your research and know what you're looking for.

My buddy does the downhill mountain biking thing. That's some of the craziest shit I've seen! He goes down the mountain faster then the guys on dirt bikes! His ride has some insane wheel travel, like 21" or something.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
As long as you know what size fits you best and it's described on the craiglist ad, otherwise you could be doing yourself more harm than good.

As for the downhill racing, well it is awesome, death defying awesome, the dirt bikes go down slower 'cause the riders downshit, you can't downshift on a bycicle, it's do or die.

Last edited:

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Picked up a rusty old Trek at the hippie place for cheap a few months ago, I love that bike.

I've been building up to long distance rides on the weekends, I did 39 miles last weekend. Good times, so many awesome places to ride your bike around here. My goal is to ride uphill the whole way to the reservoir, it's pretty steep but I think I'll make it by the end of the month. Proper nutrition and plenty of bike riding, can't beat it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
This is a beautiful country, riding a bike just makes you more aware of it, you get to enjoy the view so much more, I dunno, that's just how I feel about it.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
This is a beautiful country, riding a bike just makes you more aware of it, you get to enjoy the view so much more, I dunno, that's just how I feel about it.

No, you're right. Bikes are slow enough you can really take a minute to soak in your surroundings. That's why I love riding by the river whenever I get the chance, so awesome in the summer.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

It really makes you appreciate nature...sometimes.

I really lost focus on the fun and exploration side of cycling a few years back. I grew obsessed with numbers, performance, stats. I use(d) Strava and there's a ton of local strava segments scattered here and there. My rides became more about personal records (PRs) and breaking others records than then enjoyment of it all. Rides became a chore, I started getting an anxiety about me when I knew I was going to go attempt a "strava segment" on a ride the next day...country roads became a means to get to the next segment...I wasn't fun anymore and by end of season 2013, I was so burnt out, I didn't want to see my bike again.

This burnout resulted in my riding a local loop nearly all last summer...again and again, 20 mile sessions of this miserable loop. Rides became a workout for me, and little else.

This season, thanks to nearly 2 months of straight rain (may/June), my '15 season was shot as well. I decided it was time to begin enjoying riding again...went out and did my first 50 mi ride since early '14 basically to see if I could. For the rest of the time, I love a good 30-40 mile session...that seems to be the sweet spot where I can get done, go home, and still go about my day without being miserable.

If summer '16 is actually a summer and not a fucking monsoon like this year, I expect good miles out of my body...