The bicycling thread.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Pretty stoked to be going to Sedona tomorrow for some trail riding , it will be tough as i was out of comission for the past month fighting a infection. had a couple of quick rides to get comfortable on the bike again.

anyway had car troubles ....think it was the battery

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Awesome photo, I'm jelly...but the time is here I think, time to start tuning the good old Cobra Kai...

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Well got back from sedona / flagstaff mtb trip . it was a good time with some pretty gnarly trails .

some the trails we rode were
west sedona tour
cathedral rock / Slim shady
HHH

in flagstaff
secret moto
shultz pass

7 bikes and gear a tight fit .

did alot of this trying to find how to stay on the right trail

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Awesome!!! Great pics!

This is it! The time is here to start this ship! The weather seems pretty good around here to get going, I already tuned up the bikes like a good boyscout!

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
less exciting, but i shook off some of the winter rust on a hazy morning the other day.

x8CTAOD.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I rode 50 miles ealier this week, the weather was excellent...and now we got 3" of snow, WTF?!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
View from the highest point of my saturday ride.

bikeride.jpg

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
less exciting, but i shook off some of the winter rust on a hazy morning the other day.

So what do you think of that water bottle?

I rode 50 miles ealier this week, the weather was excellent...and now we got 3" of snow, WTF?!

50 miles on road or mountain? and thats perfect weather for a fat tire bike...

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
So what do you think of that water bottle?

I like it for basic riding and lightweight off road stuff. if i'm gonna get dirty, then i go back to my old one. you were right, the damn nozzle gets filthy in the dirt.

also of note: that mild build up i did on my cheap-o bike made a world of difference. Even on the lower end of the spectrum the components used were night and day from what it came with.

Im looking at a good frame right now and i plan to build up a proper hardtail now.

Last edited:

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Im looking at a good frame right now and i plan to build up a proper hardtail now.

Looking for new or used frame ? if your building up going used is a good way to save a ton. You can find deals on pinkbike.com

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Looking for new or used frame ? if your building up going used is a good way to save a ton. You can find deals on pinkbike.com

new. the one i'm looking at is a proper frame, but it's been discontinued and is super cheap right now.

I'm also looking at the sram eagle groupset for it. it's a little spendy, but holy cow is it fast and light. If I end up cheaping out, i'll go the one step below it. The sram folks were out at one of the local trails letting the riders demo it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I want to get out so bad…I've put in a whopping 15 outdoor mile son my bike since last Sept. 15 fucking miles.

At the moment, today was a high of 51 and raining…so until this shit clears up, all I'm doing is indoor running and swimming. I'd kill for a clean 30 mile hump at this point...

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
new. the one i'm looking at is a proper frame, but it's been discontinued and is super cheap right now.

What frame are you looking at ? If i had the money the hardtail id like is a kingdom vendetta

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
A little uphill action near Poudre Canyon west of town a couple weeks ago.

i4BQ2oY.jpg

EDIT: From a few months ago, I'll really miss hitting the trails west of town during the winter and mud season.

4JVEEcq.jpg

LT5v3Y1.jpg

Last edited:

fluxcore

Another Striker
A bit more urban than the bikes you guys have been showing, but I just bought a Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc 2016 yesterday after uhming and ahhing about it for a few months. Got a couple hundy off it, but still more expensive than I would ever have imagined myself paying for a bike.

Stock img
specialized-sirrus-elite-disc-copy-236769-11.jpg

My city isn't particularly bike-friendly so hopefully I won't get knocked off it in a hurry. Been ok so far with my old shitter bikes.

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
I have a pretty sweet road bike, an orbea aqua, but unsure of year or exact model.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've said it before, around here, you get the choice between road riding, or riding in the fucking woods, which I hate. So...road cycling it is. Still training for the triathlon coming up so I wanted to do some grinders to get the legs in shape. I have a rather difficult 32 mile out/back that has some really nasty grinders in it, I ride that on Sunday and it beat my ass. The turn around point is when the road goes to gravel, it's in a low riverbed. Here's my kit at the half way point last Sunday:

May%202016%203_zpsn0t1yb0z.jpg

Me being better than everybody:
May%202016%201_zpshc20eoqm.jpg

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
man that sworks is a sexy bike. Anyone watching the giro d'italia ?

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
not sure what happened to my other post , well anyway i upgraded my frame to Nomad CC . First few rides have been pretty sweet on it. will probably sell the trek fuel and the bronson frame to build something else up, or major upgrades.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
So my work has a cycle to work scheme. Wherein you pick out a bike, an invoice gets sent to your work, they sign off on it, and you have a shiny new bike up to the cost of 1000 euro. I went to the bike shop today, had a look around, and a chat with the guy there. He recommended some models to me, so I figured I'd run it by you guys to see what's good and what's crap. He suggested the following:

The giant escape: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/escape.1/22180/83978/
The giant roam: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/roam.2/22193/84015/
The trek 7.1x: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/city-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/7-1-fx/p/1320010-2016
The Fuji absolute: http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/absolute-21-

I don't want any kind of racing bike, just a commuter that can handle the odd bumpy road, and my fat ass (I'm around 250 these days). So some sort of reinforced, beefy, with a bit of speed, hybrid bike. Personally I like the roam, but I haven't ridden in years, and last time I did it was bmx style 20 inch fun. Point me in the right direction folks.

fluxcore

Another Striker
I was pretty keen on a Fuji Absolute, but my shitty country doesn't get stock in for anything, so there were no demo models (I would have had to put a deposit down), so I never got to try one. And the Trek FXs were out of stock. As were the local version of the Giant Escape. But I hear good things about each, I believe they are fairly equivalent - the general advice I saw while looking was 'they are roughly the same, try them out and see which one feels best to you', if you have that option.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
So my work has a cycle to work scheme. Wherein you pick out a bike, an invoice gets sent to your work, they sign off on it, and you have a shiny new bike up to the cost of 1000 euro. I went to the bike shop today, had a look around, and a chat with the guy there. He recommended some models to me, so I figured I'd run it by you guys to see what's good and what's crap. He suggested the following:

The giant escape: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/escape.1/22180/83978/
The giant roam: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/roam.2/22193/84015/
The trek 7.1x: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/city-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/7-1-fx/p/1320010-2016
The Fuji absolute: http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/absolute-21-

I don't want any kind of racing bike, just a commuter that can handle the odd bumpy road, and my fat ass (I'm around 250 these days). So some sort of reinforced, beefy, with a bit of speed, hybrid bike. Personally I like the roam, but I haven't ridden in years, and last time I did it was bmx style 20 inch fun. Point me in the right direction folks.

thats awesome!

if possible- check out the cannondale badboy. its a pretty great 'urban' city style bike.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I was pretty keen on a Fuji Absolute, but my shitty country doesn't get stock in for anything, so there were no demo models (I would have had to put a deposit down), so I never got to try one. And the Trek FXs were out of stock. As were the local version of the Giant Escape. But I hear good things about each, I believe they are fairly equivalent - the general advice I saw while looking was 'they are roughly the same, try them out and see which one feels best to you', if you have that option.
My local shop isn't a big facility, so there's not likely models I can try out. They have some bikes in store which I think they just try to sell on and aren't demos. Though they might be. In any case I do like the Giants the best and after seeing the reviews for them all they seem the sturdiest. While the trek seemed prone to varied issues. With broken axles popping up a lot in complaints.

I've never had a proper bike of any kind. Last thing I rode was a redline that was chromed out and great for jumps and wheelies. My main worry is that because I've let myself go a bit, and out on some weight would I be too much for these lightweight aluminum frames to cope with on these bumpy Dublin streets? Might be an irrational fear, but I have it.

By the way: the cannondale bad boy is much too expensive. I've got a max of 1000 euro to play with here. So if I can keep the bike around 800, then accessories for a bit more, I'll be alright. But yes I get the feeling that the bikes he suggested are a bit apples to apples comparison wise.