The bicycling thread.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy

how about the trek allant , specd pretty well and it has disc brakes. if you are in a hilly area they'll be best . being on the heavy side you'll burn through rim brakes. giant roam is a nice bike but with the front fork it adds unnecessary weight and one more thing to maintain.

Maybe look into diamondback bikes they were known as a low tier bike but they improved a lot in recent years. they have a commuter series that may work for you

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
By the way: the cannondale bad boy is much too expensive. I've got a max of 1000 euro to play with here. So if I can keep the bike around 800, then accessories for a bit more, I'll be alright. But yes I get the feeling that the bikes he suggested are a bit apples to apples comparison wise.

the bad boy starts at 683 euro (converted from dollars) for the bb4. the bb3 is 925 euro. it goes up from there. just sayin.

fluxcore

Another Striker
I may as well actually throw in the bike I bought, the Specialized Sirrus - there are disc brake versions too. Again, equivalent to the various Giant/Trek/Fuji models, just so happened that I could actually try the Sirrus and really liked it.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
the bad boy starts at 683 euro (converted from dollars) for the bb4. the bb3 is 925 euro. it goes up from there. just sayin.
Hadn't seen the bad boy 4. That changes options. Cause I liked what I saw on the more high end one. So if the 4 being just a slight bit lower end has most of the same components it would be a good choice. I'm gonna put them on the list he gave. I'm gonna try and narrow things down. Though end of the day what they have in the shop kind of dictates what I can get. I could go to another shop sure, but I'd like to keep my drive home in my tiny car with a bicycle crammed in there as short as possible. And these guys are 5 minutes down the road.

I'll ask about the suggestions made here. Based on what yous have said fancy front suspension doesn't matter, and get disk brakes thanks guys

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Landed up getting a great deal on an older, used Giant 24" road bike. My daughter has expressed interest in joining me on road ride and possible getting into kids level triathlons.

When I got it home, it was just filthy. I had to take much of it apart and give it a heavy cleaning. Once I did, that older Sora 3300 set was shifting like a champ. Popped on a new bottle cage and new yellow handlebar tape and it was ready to go.Here's the little guy:
Emma%20bike%201_zpsv4jieauq.jpg

We went on our first ride yesterday, 14 miles:
Emma%20bike%202_zpsorjmzmzd.jpg

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I went for the giant in the end folks. Went back to the bike shop today, and there she was all blue and shiny and I didn't care about the facts, or reviews, that was the one I wanted. Call me a fool if you like, but hey sometime you just know what you want, even if it isn't perfect for you at that time.

He had to order my bike, and I have to send the invoice he gave me to my work's hr team and get them to sign off on it. But I'll be biking to work soon. Might even get a picture of it for you guys.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Landed up getting a great deal on an older, used Giant 24" road bike. My daughter has expressed interest in joining me on road ride and possible getting into kids level triathlons.

thats pretty cool , are you going to get her clipless pedals?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
thats pretty cool , are you going to get her clipless pedals?

Not yet. I think that will be a bit of for her. This all spawned from my doing that triathlon 2 weeks ago and her meeting a family with 3 young kids that do them as well (their 8 year old daughter did the same tri that I did and their 11 year old son did an Ironman 70 last year). They're the one that sold the 24" Giant.

Were doing small neighborhood "brick" sessions where her and I will ride 3-4 miles then run .5 miles immediately following the ride. There's a kids tri that I want to get her in summer of 2017, it's 100yds in the pool, 4mi bike, 1mi run. She's got the bike down and should easily be able to do the run this time next year. We need to work on the swim, which is 4 lengths of that pool. There's plenty of time though.

So...long story short, no clipless yet, especially with tri training. It's easier for her to wear the running shoes on the ride then just hop off.

fluxcore

Another Striker
I went for the giant in the end folks. Went back to the bike shop today, and there she was all blue and shiny and I didn't care about the facts, or reviews, that was the one I wanted. Call me a fool if you like, but hey sometime you just know what you want, even if it isn't perfect for you at that time.

Good stuff, the most important thing is to get a bike that will make you WANT to ride :)

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I cycle for transportation, but the savings and exercise I get from it are major bonuses.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
What kind of accessories should I go for? Bike came in at 699, lights, lock, helmet, and a rain coat, all brought it up to 815 or so. So I've got a little left in the 1000 euro kitty to spend on other things. I'd like a chain guard, I remember getting my shoe lace caught in the chain when I was a kid and I'm a bit paranoid now. Maybe some mud guards, it rains a lot here and anything to keep muddy dirty water off me. Smoke mentions clips. What can clips do for you?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i would do a rear tire splash guard since you are using it as a commuter and dont want to get rain/ mud directly up your ass.

maybe a decent pair of mtb flat shoes for pedal grip (like five ten). that will help you get into the swing of things over clipless pedals quicker. with clipless pedals you would need to get both shoes and pedals (not sure thats in your budget) and then learn how to attach and detach yourself from those pedals quickly and in traffic. its an easy system to learn, but you should really work your way up to it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
What kind of accessories should I go for? Bike came in at 699, lights, lock, helmet, and a rain coat, all brought it up to 815 or so. So I've got a little left in the 1000 euro kitty to spend on other things. I'd like a chain guard, I remember getting my shoe lace caught in the chain when I was a kid and I'm a bit paranoid now. Maybe some mud guards, it rains a lot here and anything to keep muddy dirty water off me. Smoke mentions clips. What can clips do for you?

i would do a rear tire splash guard since you are using it as a commuter and dont want to get rain/ mud directly up your ass.

maybe a decent pair of mtb flat shoes for pedal grip (like five ten). that will help you get into the swing of things over clipless pedals quicker. with clipless pedals you would need to get both shoes and pedals (not sure thats in your budget) and then learn how to attach and detach yourself from those pedals quickly and in traffic. its an easy system to learn, but you should really work your way up to it.

This.

Splash guard is a must on a bike you plan on riding on the elements and I definitely would not recommend riding clipless on a day to day bike. Here's my "commuter bike:

(this was on a "fred-challenge" a few years abck, 30 miles on a non road bike).
524604_10202245002754297_1039558087_n_zps2f6584ed.jpg

It's a 2012 Specialized Crossroads. I call it the "mini-van". Thing is heavy as hell, has a suspension front and even a cushion seatpost. I have fairly grippy standard pedals on the thing and would never think of doing clipless on it. I did replace the horrible pancake seat it came with...it was a big granny wide saddle that covered your entire ass, super not comfortable). Another thing you'll want is a decent saddlebag to put things in like a spare tube, CO2 kit, phone, keys, etc). Also, a water bottle cage...another must.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
One of these days I'm going to get a Brompton folding bike and get the toddler seat as well. Would be really convenient for those quick grocery trips.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member

So I can't just wear my adidas or whatever on it and have to get new shoes? Skate shoes are flat bottom will those work? I wasn't planning on getting clips. But you guys are saying I should. Why would i need these? Do your feet slip on the pedals a lot?

So now I'm looking at:
Shoes
Mud guards
Bags
Clips
Pedals
Chain guard

It's adding up alright. I'll also need lights, a lock, and a helmet. I've sent off all the paperwork to the hr team at my work so I've just got to wait til they approve it and I'll have my bike.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
So I can't just wear my adidas or whatever on it and have to get new shoes? Skate shoes are flat bottom will those work? I wasn't planning on getting clips. But you guys are saying I should. Why would i need these? Do your feet slip on the pedals a lot?

So now I'm looking at:
Shoes
Mud guards
Bags
Clips
Pedals
Chain guard

It's adding up alright. I'll also need lights, a lock, and a helmet. I've sent off all the paperwork to the hr team at my work so I've just got to wait til they approve it and I'll have my bike.

Personally, I just wear any old shoes when riding my fort bike. I just have to remember to tuck my shoe laces so they do not get caught in the chainring. Some of the things on your list I do not have, but I can tell you that pedals and a small saddle bag should only set you back $30 or so at most.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Sorry for all the questions. But I'm new to this and getting started. My works HR team approved my bike purchase agreement. Now I have to wait 30 days for the accounts payable team to cut a check for the shop, so I can get my wheels. So it'll be a month til I can post up photos.

I've also found out that there has been some bike theft around my work a girl in my department had hers stolen last month. So I wonder, these aren't cheap bikes a lot of us have because of the finance scheme. Other than a decent lock what do you guys do to prevent theft?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Sorry for all the questions. But I'm new to this and getting started. My works HR team approved my bike purchase agreement. Now I have to wait 30 days for the accounts payable team to cut a check for the shop, so I can get my wheels. So it'll be a month til I can post up photos.

I've also found out that there has been some bike theft around my work a girl in my department had hers stolen last month. So I wonder, these aren't cheap bikes a lot of us have because of the finance scheme. Other than a decent lock what do you guys do to prevent theft?

Sorry, can't help you there. That's one thing is do not have to deal with as my bike never leaves my sight.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

So now I'm looking at:
Shoes
Mud guards
Bags
Clips
Pedals
Chain guard

i dont know that you need a chain guard. you can get away with gym shoes just fine the mtb flats was just an alternate suggestion since we were talking clipless pedals at the time. .

I would start with Lock, lights, rear mudguard, helmet, saddlebag, maybe a decent set of grippy pedals.

these are the pedals i use the little bumps grab your shoes so you dont slip: https://www.amazon.com/Redline-Lo-P...ywords=mtb+pedals&refinements=p_36:1253555011

this is the saddlebag i use. Its high quality, and if you need more space it expands: https://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Bigmo...id=1467979630&sr=1-1&keywords=Avenir+Bigmouth
bike accessories can get you in deep really quick, just get what you need and you can accessorize later.

here is a basic rear mudguard: https://www.amazon.com/X-Tra-Rear-B...qid=1467979726&sr=1-1&keywords=bike+mud+guard

Thats a good basic setup for your bike and is sub $60

the lock you shouldn't try to skimp on (especially with the theft issue). I'd go with the kryptonite new york set, but its a little spendy. find a decent headlight/ tail light combo if your streets are well lit ($30-$50 all in). If they are not, then you need to go bright. a solid helmet can be found in the $30-$50 range. you can always upgrade anything and everything later.

other theft prevention you can to is take your seat and front wheel with you to your office. (if it is a quick connect)

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i dont know that you need a chain guard. you can get away with gym shoes just fine the mtb flats was just an alternate suggestion since we were talking clipless pedals at the time. .

I would start with Lock, lights, rear mudguard, helmet, saddlebag, maybe a decent set of grippy pedals.

these are the pedals i use the little bumps grab your shoes so you dont slip: https://www.amazon.com/Redline-Lo-P...ywords=mtb+pedals&refinements=p_36:1253555011

this is the saddlebag i use. Its high quality, and if you need more space it expands: https://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Bigmo...id=1467979630&sr=1-1&keywords=Avenir+Bigmouth
bike accessories can get you in deep really quick, just get what you need and you can accessorize later.

here is a basic rear mudguard: https://www.amazon.com/X-Tra-Rear-B...qid=1467979726&sr=1-1&keywords=bike+mud+guard

Thats a good basic setup for your bike and is sub $60

the lock you shouldn't try to skimp on (especially with the theft issue). I'd go with the kryptonite new york set, but its a little spendy. find a decent headlight/ tail light combo if your streets are well lit ($30-$50 all in). If they are not, then you need to go bright. a solid helmet can be found in the $30-$50 range. you can always upgrade anything and everything later.

other theft prevention you can to is take your seat and front wheel with you to your office. (if it is a quick connect)
Most of my shoes are flat on the bottom like the shoes I've seen. Being flat footed anything with arches makes me hurt. So I tend to get skate shoes or similar to keep my flat feet, flat.

I think taking my wheel, and seat will be ideal. I believe they're both quick release. They keep saying they'll make the bike area indoors at work, but it's been years and hasn't happened. At home she can live in the dining room.

I'm getting a bit excited about this whole thing... Too bad I have to wait a month.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Other than a decent lock what do you guys do to prevent theft?

Don't get anything less than a solid metal u-lock, and even those aren't invincible. Get a long cable to loop through the wheels. Never leave it anywhere overnight. Probably never leave it out of your sight :D

This is my latest bike, rescued it from the Grandfather-in-laws backyard. Stripped all the extra crap off it, cleaned it up and she's a great city crusher.

902134e6364d793c50cf98f1e47ac3e4.jpg

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
So I've been biking in to work the past few weeks. Started slow, two days one week. Three days the next. Four days. This week I pulled five. One thing I can't help but notice is muscle pain all throughout the front of my thighs. Part of me is like "that's the muscle growing after not being used in a while." Then part of me is like "maybe there's something wrong and you're being stupid." Either way my legs are burning especially the fronts of my thighs.

Everything else see,s to be gravy so far. Other than a couple of rainy rides (it's Ireland that will happen) and a lot of pedestrians walking in cycle lanes, or cars using them as passing lanes. Things are going smooth and I'm really starting to enjoy biking. Suppose all I can do is keep at it, keep pushing, and get better and faster. Right now I'm taking 25 minutes to do a route that google maps says should take 14. So I've got some work to do. Though I'm terrified of cycling through this big huge round about that's on the way in. I see the other fellas in spandex and shit go through it like its nothing. Me I'm just like "nope, sorry" as I'm cycling in jeans like a drug dealer.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
So I've been biking in to work the past few weeks. Started slow, two days one week. Three days the next. Four days. This week I pulled five. One thing I can't help but notice is muscle pain all throughout the front of my thighs. Part of me is like "that's the muscle growing after not being used in a while." Then part of me is like "maybe there's something wrong and you're being stupid." Either way my legs are burning especially the fronts of my thighs.

Everything else see,s to be gravy so far. Other than a couple of rainy rides (it's Ireland that will happen) and a lot of pedestrians walking in cycle lanes, or cars using them as passing lanes. Things are going smooth and I'm really starting to enjoy biking. Suppose all I can do is keep at it, keep pushing, and get better and faster. Right now I'm taking 25 minutes to do a route that google maps says should take 14. So I've got some work to do. Though I'm terrified of cycling through this big huge round about that's on the way in. I see the other fellas in spandex and shit go through it like its nothing. Me I'm just like "nope, sorry" as I'm cycling in jeans like a drug dealer.
You're not going full speed the entire time are you? There are certain segments I'll push a little bit, but then some I just cruise. I finally live in a place where taking a bicycle can usually be quicker than using a car.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
You're not going full speed the entire time are you? There are certain segments I'll push a little bit, but then some I just cruise. I finally live in a place where taking a bicycle can usually be quicker than using a car.

No, I'm too out of shape to push the whole while. I think it's just down to being overweight and out of shape. Finally using the muscle has the muscle in some pain. But it's faded now. We will see how it feels later in the week.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My Specialized CrossTrail has been amazing , but i'm looking to add something different and fun.

I have been considering a recumbent bike or trike, but it seems like the market is still quite slim. Anyone tinker with a recumbennt on the roads or trails?