Capcom CPS3

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
I have this CPS3 "Street Fighter 3 New Generation" pcb which I currently have with the sole purpose of gathering dust in one of my scraps shelves, problem is I don't care for NG, I want 3rd Strike as its the only relevant game of the SF3 series IMHO,

I have been wondering if theres a way to play other CPs3 titles in this board without one of those modded cartridges? please excuse my ignoarance but while I'm not a noob regarding CPS3 (I exchanged this PCB for a Sega Dremacast back then when cps3 was still around, so I have this thing for almost 15 years now) but I'm a bit lost between all the info I got so far from the internet, some people recommend a bios mod, others that have modded the cartridge swapping the CPU??:confused:, then theres region differences, some games that work, other that don't, RAM requirements etc etc. I only want to play 3rd Strike... and maybe Warzard, any recomendations?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'd be surprised if the battery is either still going or hasnt pee pee'd all over the inside.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
well, the thing is still working, I hooked it to cab today and had a few games with my nephew.

jon713

Camel Slug
well, the thing is still working, I hooked it to cab today and had a few games with my nephew.

Here is a good resource: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=CPS-III

Well if you want to play 3rd strike you would need the right amount of memory (SIMMS) which is pictured in the link that I provided. Then you would need to find a 3rd strike cart that hasn't been suicided. U can find one on ebay thats dead and send it to Japan http://www.sophia-corp.jp to have them fix it for you (They only except Japanese carts) and that will cost you $150. I think finding the SIMMS would be the hard part as they are hard as fuck to find and if you do find one they are very expensive. Oh yea and also a 3rd strike CD but you can find those files online and burn your own copy.

Or you can just buy or have dark soft / Mitsu mod your SF3NG cart for around 50-60 and it comes with all the games plus the CD.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Thanks for the links, guess I will not be playing 3rd Strike, my board doesn't have enough ram, damn.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Thanks for the links, guess I will not be playing 3rd Strike, my board doesn't have enough ram, damn.

Darksoft is looking at reproducing 128mb SIMMs. I recommend going to his forum and voicing your interest.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'd recommend getting your cart modded with the SuperBios at the very least. That way you only need 1 CD for all games. Keep in mind that if you go that route, you need the Max amount of RAM (see requirements for 3rd Strike), even if you only want to play a game with lower RAM requirements such as New Generation or Warzard.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
From what I have seen so far getting something playable out of this system will cost lots of money (for me) , on top of that it's a flimsy/unreliable hardware; too much hassle to do basic maintenance like changing a battery, I may consider selling this before it dies on me.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
I went to run some tests on this the other day and to my surprise found out it's not working anymore, black screen, only thing I did was to swap some simms positions and I don't remember where they were before, do these require to be installed in a specific order for the game to work?, or is my cartridge suicided? I don't see what else could be going wrong with this thing.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I went to run some tests on this the other day and to my surprise found out it's not working anymore, black screen, only thing I did was to swap some simms positions and I don't remember where they were before, do these require to be installed in a specific order for the game to work?, or is my cartridge suicided? I don't see what else could be going wrong with this thing.

The right size simms need to be in the correct orientation. If you have mixed them around but at least have the sizes right then you should be able to rewrite them using a CD.