Anyone collect board games? Just babbling about them.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
played Defenders of the Realm for the first time last week

wasn't sure how I'd feel as it's the most generic looking fantasy-themed game I've ever seen, but it was a great game

very solid RPG feel and quite a challenge

we managed to win even though my buddy set up a challenging game (everyone played are board game vets)

also backed my first Kickstater game:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kazoodoogames/glyph-1

(I like rolling dice)

micah7

n00b
I snagged Betrayal at House on the Hill, 7 Wonders Duel, and Ticket to Ride Europe from Amazon when they did a buy two get one free deal a week or so ago.

Betrayal is a popular choice in my play group, but I didn't own it and the deal made it worth having a copy. The wife and I haven't sat down to play 7 Wonders Duel, but I've heard a ton of great things about it.

played Defenders of the Realm for the first time last week
very solid RPG feel and quite a challenge

A coworker has been trying to get me on this game for months now, but I generally disagree with him when it comes to board games. I might have to check it out.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I hit up a new boardgame cafe that started up around here. Just the lady and I.
Surprisingly good menu with alcoholic drinks. I didn't even expect that.
Game selection was quite good as well.

Finally got around to playing some 2 player games. I usually have little interest in them.
Tides of Madness was definitely our favorite. I'll be picking this one up on my next trip to Miniature Market. It's great they have a local pickup option.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I haven't sat down to play 7 Wonders Duel, but I've heard a ton of great things about it

It's really good.

If you like 7 Wonders, you will love it.

I might even like it more than the original version just due to how easy it is to play and setup--it still feels very rewarding even with its simplicity stripped down.

My buddy and I play that one a lot as a finisher after something more heavy.

Our last gaming session was several attempts at Ghost Stories; which may be one of the hardest games we've ever played. It's basically just like a brutal, non-stop Horde Mode of a game and for me, a lot of fun. I think some of the other guys weren't as crazy about it as I was, as it is difficult to the point of almost not being fun.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I need to keep an eye out for a cheap copy of 7W Duel but I've got too many games that I haven't played enough as it is, so I'm trying to curb my buying for a while.

Wife and I have been playing Pandemic Legacy each month to coincide with the game, so far we just won our April game, things are getting interesting.

Also found a couple good filler games at the thrift shop lately that play well with just the two of us.

Also have a small pile of games I still need to sell or trade away.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I picked up all the Exit games. These are essentially escape-rooms-in-a-box. They are place once and done, so I may try to pass them around here. I've heard great reviews, so i'm looking forward to them. I'm hoping it has a similar feel to Time Stories in a much smaller box.

if you haven't played Time Stories, you definitely should.

micah7

n00b
Wife and I have been playing Pandemic Legacy each month to coincide with the game, so far we just won our April game, things are getting interesting.

Did you play standard Pandemic before picking up Pandemic Legacy? I've read about how it works, but wasn't sure about spending another $50-$60 on it. There's so many other games out there!

FYI - Pandemic Legacy is $39 today on Amazon Prime if someone wants a good deal on it.

lithy

20 Year Member
Yeah, Pandemic is probably our most played game. Probably 100+ plays. Also picked up Pandemic: Iberia over the holidays which is also good fun.

I paid about $33 for Legacy from Cool Stuff Inc, but I see they have it listed back up to almost $60.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I picked up Legacy as well from CoolStuff. Grabbed a pile of stuff during their 15 year anny sale.

We haven't opened Legacy yet. We have done 3 cases on Sherlock Consulting (new version) - which has been as amazing as people have said it was - just pure fun if your group can embrace the theme (and if they are smart).

We've been playing a lot of Evolution lately - it plays equally well 4-6p, turns are fast, their are multiple strategies that can be successful and component quality is super high.

We've also been playing a lot Happy Pigs - which we bought as a filler game that we thought would be super light, fun for younger crowd, passable for older crowd. The mechanics are easy enough the younger crowd loves it, the strategy and planning is deep enough the older crowd loves it as well. It's like a very light Caverna, plays in 60 mins, pure fun and great artwork.

lithy

20 Year Member
Consulting Detective is brutal but fun. You'll sit around a table for an hour. "Ok, I think we got it". Then question #1 is "What item did Bradley Stevenson steal?" and you'll be "I don't fucking know who Bradley Stevenson even is!" and it just goes downhill from there.

Then you find out Sherlock figured it out in like 3 moves, while you consulted every address in London during your investigation that in real life must have spanned well past the statute of limitations.

We've played 4 cases from the old version but don't own a copy for ourselves. I saw that there was a new set of cases released recently too, hadn't looked into them too much though.

Evolution is fun the handful of times I've played it at game gatherings. Not sure I'd ever pick it up myself, but mostly because I don't often play with that many people.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I heard there's a fair amount of errors and typos in Consulting Detective that make some of them unsolvable.
That's the same problem with Mythos Tales, which is pretty much the same game with Lovecraftian theme.

Have you experienced any of those problems? I took these games off my list after reading about those issues.

lithy

20 Year Member
I heard there's a fair amount of errors and typos in Consulting Detective that make some of them unsolvable.
That's the same problem with Mythos Tales, which is pretty much the same game with Lovecraftian theme.

Have you experienced any of those problems? I took these games off my list after reading about those issues.

I was warned ahead of time that Case #3 had some issues. We skipped that one, we may go back at the end, but I wanted to avoid reading too much about the game and finding things out that I shouldn't where if I get into reading errata for case 3 after we have done the rest, if I ruin it, well apparently it is ruined anyway.

This goes for the old version, I haven't read or heard anything about the new cases.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I recently got Shadows Over Camelot: The Card Game on the cheap and am looking forward to playing a game with some friends soon.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
we play the original Shadows Over Camelot every so often

really fun game, but we house rule that thing to make sure there's always a Traitor

the game gets way less fun when you've figured out nobody is a Traitor halfway into the game

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Shadows Over Camelot - absolutely, we always play w/a traitor. Half the fun is assuming someone must be the traitor - because that was so stupid? - then next person does something even dumber and you're very confused.

Sherlock Consulting (new version, Jack the Ripper) - cases 1-4 are Jack the Ripper and they play sequentially. We haven't started those yet. We've played cases 5, 6, and 7. If there were any errors - we haven't noticed them. You definitely need i'd say at least 4 people though. We always play 6, but I think it would be fine if you have at least 4. Less than that you wouldn't have the creativeness i'd think. You really need to pay attention to the most mundane clues, particularly early on when you get the case description. We play it "live", meaning you can't go back and re-read the initial visit/case description, because in real life you couldn't go back either. If you want to re-read a witness/suspect account, it counts as another clue used.

It's hard to describe w/o giving away info about cases, but all 3 cases we've played we solved, they made sense, and we definitely had to come up with some theories after each clue (fake examples to follow): Maybe he has two families? Oh, i'll bet he has a hook for left hand! He was at the hospital as an employee, not as an accident victim! Stuff like that.

The Sherlock answers are a very minor irritation. Basically Sherlock will hit the correct spot to ask questions every time, so for example, case 4 we solved in 12 clues, which we were very impressed with ourselves. Sherlock had done it in 6. We still scored well and it's just such a different feeling after a game. All the cases we played after dinner, dusk to dark, and embraced the theme. We didn't use bad English accents or anything, but we took on the atmospheric feelings of old London for sure.

Also - for those that play, we use "perler beads" in different colors to mark locations we've been, think we should visit, or were otherwise of note. It's very helpful for establishing likely traffic patterns, or "if he would have had enough time to do both murders", etc.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Shadows over Camelot is hard enough without a traitor! Does the traitor ever lose in your groups?
It hit the table with my friends tonight, and the traitor easily won of course. I'm still very impressed with the quality of this game for being so old.

I think you've sold me on Consulting detective. I have a bunch o new stuff to get through, but i'll be on the lookout for that one.

I tried Mysterium and Killer Bunnies tonight.

Mysterium i liked, but I probably wouldn't buy. It's essentially a whodunnit with dixit abstract art cards. It's good for what it is, but i like other deduction games better.

Killer Bunnies - I had seen this get a fair amount of play at Gencon 8-10 years ago. There always seemed to be a decent following. I see why it had appeal at the time, but the gameplay is a little too haphazard in today's market. It's a very light take-that card game with dice rolling and goofy ways you are trying to kill other bunnies. The rules were a little rough to read, and the cardstock was also quite dated. I think we all expect linen cards nowadays. It feels like more detailed version of "We didn't play test this". Could be fun...or funny...but I wasn't feeling it. The way to determine the winner is also pretty random for today's games.

Last edited:

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Nice to see so many people on the forums playing board games. I have a couple myself (maybe more than a couple).

I mainly play X-wing with my brother (this game is awesome), bought Armada as well (but no play time yet). Other games that get a lot of play time are Memoir 44, Imperial Settlers, Evolution (get the base and flight expansion!).

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I finally got a used copy of Catan (and a Catan side game) so I'm excited to learn how to play this game.

I had it once before but it was sealed so I sold it for $20 (after buying it for $2).

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Catan gets a lot of hate since there are newer games that "do Catan, but better", but that's quite silly imo. It's still a sound game and plays a lot faster than other tile laying - city building - hand management - resource trading mechanics. Enjoy it. If you plan to read the rules, that works, but there are quite a few YT vids that can explain it in under 10 mins and you'll be playing in less than 15...

Neo Sneth - very similar thoughts. I played Killer Bunnies 10 years ago and while it passed a night, I had no interest to ever play again. It's gimmicky and random. The "humor" wears off really quickly. Folks who want to play this game often - I don't understand. Exploding Kittens is the same. It's almost-funny once, then just a complete game of randomness with almost zero decisions to make and unavoidable deaths. It's Uno with cats on the cards.

We have Mysterium and like it quite a bit. Being the ghost is definitely makes it more enjoyable. We'll pull it a couple times a year I imagine. Amazing cardstock and components, just really well done. If someone says, "Let's play Clue" - i'll go grab Mysterium. It's an upgrade to that game, pretty significantly.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Though I don't collect board games, I did find my old Simpsons 'Don't Worry' version in a closet far far away. It was a blast to have the family together, fighting over and over... over such abstractions. Definitely & very highly recommended ;).

lithy

20 Year Member
I like Mysterium ok, although to be honest, I really like Clue too. My problem with Dixit is that there really isn't much of a 'game' there so at least Mysterium give you a challenge, some specific goal to attempt. It is just a little limited as a true deduction game in my opinion. Still fun to play with the right group and hear people convince themselves of wrong signals based on their card that they are sure the ghost was trying to tell them.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Any time someone mentions Clue I bring out Mystery at the Abby or Kill Dr Lucky

It might have been the fiddly setup that sort of cooled my interest in Mysterium. We learned to play at a boardgame cafe which isnt the best environment for that game. I believe one of the other players liked it enough to buy.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Has anyone here tried that Dark Souls board game? They're doing another run of those soon and I've been curious. Although everyone I know is boring and doesn't play board games...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Waiting for my copy to arrive.

I suspect there are better dungeon crawls, and games in general, but....Dark Souls.