Anyone collect board games? Just babbling about them.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I don't, but I have a few I'm happy having around. A few weeks back I got a never used open copy of the early 80s arcade game conversion of Centipede. I got to pop all the plastics off the tree other than a few that dropped, all the cardboard, stickers, etc. And then when it was done I played it with my 5 year old and she and I each one one game. It's got quite a few rules but it's a fun game.

Also I have a few real rarities from out on the west coast. Ever heard of the Official LA Dodger's Baseball Game? For just a year maybe two it was sold, my grandparents invented it and got the license from the Dodgers to sell it with their name. After that it became Line Drive which sold for years longer. I've got old pictures of celebs, the old patents, ad pieces, and there rest in a picture book here. But the real cherry, a prototype travel version of Line Drive. Only one exists and I've got it in a plastic box to keep it safe on a high shelf. I also have my moms old copy of Monopoly from like the 60s(I think, has plastic homes and pewter pieces) as well.

I've been considering picking up the electronic D&D board game adventure as I saw a piece on it the other day on another forum and I had it as a kid.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
this is what i'm running after pairing down a fair amount. i was filling the up shelf more than I was playing the games. That's when i realized i didn't want to have a wall of games that just sat there.
this doesn't include most miniature games, and a few games that are getting updates on my painting table.

I also do not overlap games with my close friends. They have all the Descent, Imperial Assault, and euro stuff. I'm very hit or miss with Euro.

IMG_0757.JPG

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Looking good. I'm not familiar w/Bombay (will look at it).

I've had Jamaica on my want list for a few years now, just haven't pulled the trigger.

We go through our games once a year, usually around October (before we add a bunch more at Christmas). If it wasn't played in the last year - we give it away. We typically only get rid of a game or two as we play games all winter long, often going through 5-6 games over a weekend. This year we got rid of Diplomacy and Upwords - that's it. Upwords was on of those pretty terrible games, w/pretty terrible components, but it was one of the first games we were given 15 years ago. This year space won out over sentiment.

We played Tower of Babble, Love Letter Batman Edition, and Amazonas this past week. The Love Letter games are super quick and easy to learn - we have 5 of them, even though the mechanics are identical; it's still fun to mix up the cards. At $5-7 apiece and such a small footprint; it's a guilt free pleasure to have them.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
With the recent opening of board game bars here in columbus I have been getting into games quite a bit.

If you like euro resource games l highly recommend Le Havre, and At the Gates of Loyang (getting a reprint any day now, and pre-orders up). Those are Uwe Rosenberg games. He also made the really good Agricola, which is now overshadowed by Caverna. You can play all these solitare too.

Some other cool games.

Forbidden Desert
Mage Knight
Takenoko
Memoir 44
Splendor (seriously awesome, and on mobile)
Shadows Over Camelot
Biblios
Pandemic
Scythe

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
With the recent opening of board game bars here in columbus I have been getting into games quite a bit.

If you like euro resource games l highly recommend Le Havre, and At the Gates of Loyang (getting a reprint any day now, and pre-orders up). Those are Uwe Rosenberg games. He also made the really good Agricola, which is now overshadowed by Caverna. You can play all these solitare too.

Some other cool games.

Forbidden Desert
Mage Knight
Takenoko
Memoir 44
Splendor (seriously awesome, and on mobile)
Shadows Over Camelot
Biblios
Pandemic
Scythe

Yeah i played Splendor last month or two ago..Was actually really fun.

Can you guys recommend any cool games that can be use up to 6-12players?
So far the only one i know of is Resistance/Avalon.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
We play 6 for most games and 6+ fairly often as well. Not many go beyond 8 though.

Cash and Guns - bluffing game, up to 8 players, plays in mini 5 minute rounds - fast, fun, everyone is involved in every turn - great.
One Night: Ultimate Werewolf - similar to Bang!, you have a role but have to convince others you aren't what you are - better with more people - supports up to 10 I think. - takes about 20-30 minutes.
Incan Gold - up to 8 players, everyone involved each round, you are in a pyramid and have to stay in or go out each round, it's based on how many booby traps you've already uncovered and how much you're willing to risk staying in to get more treasure. It's a super simple premise and it is GREAT fun. $20 game, small box, loaded with laughs. Takes 15 mins.
Perudo (Liar's Dice) - some people love it, some don't. It's fast, easy, action always moving, great for people good at lying.
Hurry Cup - it's a racing game, you control a car and have to be first to cross the line, a bit of luck involved, but turns go pretty quickly and games last 30 mins - not a lot of depth, but fun for a game or two each game night.
Citadels - resource management, city building, take on roles each round, up to 7 players - plays fast, always involved - up to 7 players - recommend at least 4, but best with 6-7.
Shadows Over Camelot - this is a lot of fun, co-op game, up to 7 players. This has more depth to the ones above; role-playing, teamwork, bluffing, takes about 1-2 hours.
Twilight Imperium - very indepth, takes a few hours, but if you have serious games - it's great.

I'd also recommend some dexterity games - they don't always support 6p at once, but you can play in tournaments or take turns.

Tumblin' Dice
Pitch Car
Flick 'Em Up

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Looking good. I'm not familiar w/Bombay (will look at it).

I've had Jamaica on my want list for a few years now, just haven't pulled the trigger.

I really want to play Jamaica, and Robinson Crusoe, but most people I play with were getting frustrated with Forbidden Desert, which is super simple as you probably already know. You will have to report back on that one if you play it.

If you can get into war games, memoir 44 has an "overlord" play variant, and I think the number of players is only limited by the number of play mats you can line up. Here's a video that shows how it plays out.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Jamaica is a great step up from the entry-level games. Plays well with 6. Absolutely amazing artwork and presentation.
I like it for the racing aspect, but others prefer the confrontation. It comes off as very simple, but the strategy emerges after few games. There's some tricks to it.

Good 6 player games are tough to come by. Most of them run far too long, or half the table isn't engaged between rounds. Telestrations or Codenames are typically how we handle large groups. I still like Mars Attacks Dice Game for big groups because it's fast and has tons of dice.

Just for fun.
DSC04243[1].JPG

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Secret Hitler is great for larger groups. I played on a beautiful kickstarter backer edition. We had 7 players and have played with more previously.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Secret Hitler is great for larger groups. I played on a beautiful kickstarter backer edition. We had 7 players and have played with more previously.

I've had mine for a couple months now and before that had a print and play I put together that honestly looked pretty damn good. I was even thinking about making a few more copies as Christmas gifts.

It is a great game. I know real game theory nerds love Resistance more, but in my opinion there is too much guesswork and simply rooting out bad liars in Resistance. It makes it more difficult for some players to have fun. The added policy mechanic makes for some evidence to base accusations around.

Whenever it makes it to retail, I would definitely recommend it for anyone's group.

Two small quibbles I have. The separate role and party cards are slightly inelegant. and the no talking during legislative session rule gets broken far too often in the form of making faces, sighs, or flat out talking, that I almost think the President and Chancellor should step away from the table briefly before returning with their passed policy.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Secret Hitler doesn't bring anything new to the hidden role genre, but the presentation is top notch. That is a good recommendation.
My friend screamed in a large gaming hall " I am not a Facist you fuck". Worth it for those moments.

lithy

20 Year Member
Which reminds me that I need to borrow Dark Moon for next weekend.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Secret Hitler doesn't bring anything new to the hidden role genre, but the presentation is top notch. That is a good recommendation.
My friend screamed in a large gaming hall " I am not a Facist you fuck". Worth it for those moments.

I'm always a liberal ;)

I take too much pleasure in getting Hitler elected.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
www.secrethitler.com

$35, just now for sale. Paid 42 after taxes and shipping.

Its also still under a creative commons license so you can still print and play.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Another +1 for Secret Hitler. Backed it on Kickstarter last year when it was down to it's last three days. Totally worth it. Haven't had a chance to do a full group of ten yet, it was a little too easy in the group of six.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Secret Hitler is best played beer in hand.

Don't get it if you play with (boring) overly serious gamers or gamers who can't separate a game from reality. I definitely know people I wouldn't play Secret Hitler with or a similarish game, say Diplomacy.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I've been playing a LOT of Arcadia Quest the past two months. My friends and I have been playing once or twice a week and end up playing for like 6 hours each session. Then me and two of my coworkers head to my place during lunch and we've got a lunch time campaign going (we're on our second campaign now). The base game is great, but I think the Beyond the Grave expansion is more fun due to the enemies being more difficult to deal with.

There's a new stand alone being released soon called Arcadia Quest: Inferno. I believe the kickstarters are shipping this month. Really looking forward to that.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'd love to find a complete Battlemasters or Hero Quest at a garage sale.

Yeah, they were lite games, but accessible to people who didn't want to sit around reading a rule book all month.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I have some but do not play them. Trivial Pursuit in a tin box from 1988. Gobots and TMNT board games, and Transformers Monopoly. I think maybe also Transformers Risk.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'd love to find a complete Battlemasters or Hero Quest at a garage sale.

Yeah, they were lite games, but accessible to people who didn't want to sit around reading a rule book all month.

Battle Masters was a lot of fun.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I use to have hero quest when i was little. Never actually played it by the rules though. I would like to check it out now that im older and can grasp it.

What i did use to play was Fireball Island. That game was great. I looked for it recently on eBay and its insane. Ill never be gettinf it again.

Another cool game was Crossfire. But I hear its cheaply made now. Had so mich fun with that one.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hell yeah, Fireball island.

My neighbor had it. The Library book sale had a copy that was 90% complete but they wanted $75 for it. Eventually, I will find a copy of it at an estate/garage sale.

Another game we used to play was Atomisphere/Nightmare. It was great for casual gatherings but got old because it was the same thing over and over again. I guess the DVD version used random chapters to mix it up a bit.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Haven't posted here since before Christmas.

The games that are getting the most play so far this year:
Mysterium - plays fast, incredibly unique, plays up to 7, scales well, art is fantastic. Only issue is everyone wants to be the ghost.
Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition - only played twice, but that's about 8 hours of game time. Minis are spectacular. I would have never thought i'd like and "app" driven game, but it really works well here.
Paris Connection - this is a really meh game on the outside. Box art is meh, train station art is meh, wooden trains are just ok, and the game seems dry...boy is all of that misleading, it plays so quickly and there is a ton of strategy in this simple game of buying stock in companies and laying track. We tend to like it better than Chicago Express and San Francisco Cable Car, which are both otherwise prettier to look at.
Imhotep - fun and fast 4p game which has some "take that" aspect and is deceptive in it's strategy. Not an amazing game, but if you can find for $20 or so, it's a good buy. The wooden stones are super big, very nice for our old decrepit fingers.
Celestia - a push-your-luck game that supports up to 6 players. Good art, fun, not much critical thinking.
Mission Red Planet - seems complicated at setup, it isn't. An area control game with a few mechanics not seen anywhere else.
Zombicide Toxic City Mall - a decent expansion, great minis and makes the base game much more difficult (which is good). Toxic zombies much more difficult than base zombies and requires better spacing and trading of weapons.
The Blood of an Englishman - very fun, asymmetrical 2p card game. Supposed to take 20-30 mins to play, but many matches are 5 mins or less. Very unique in that it is evenly matched, but each player has very different moves they can make.
Between Two Cities - gorgeous tiles, super high quality box and markers. Another very unique game where you cooperate with the player on your left and right. Plays super quickly - only gripe is that it takes as long to score the game, as it takes to play the game.
Cosmic Encounter - I had never given this a shot despite the praise - it really is quite great. A game for 3-5 that really does scale excellently, keeps everyone involved and is just full of backstabbing - great fun. Not nearly as complicated as I thought it was going to be.
Jamaica - fun game, great game board, good chits, game plays fast, but even with 6, it can be a bit long between turns - even at 90 seconds, it just seems long, because your turns are often 5-10 seconds. With 4 it's great, but not as many battles, which are part of the allure. I like it, just can't decide on the best number - it might be 5.
The Grizzled - this is fantastic co-op. excellent theme, plays really quickly, is surprisingly difficult, super fun - we played this probably a dozen times over Christmas break.
Spyfall - oh man, such a simple premise, and I rarely want to spend $20 for what is essentially a deck of cards, but this game just does it right - super easy to explain, but it's fun every single time, can play 20 rounds in about 90 minutes.
Santorini - cool pieces, cool premise, a game of thinking 2-3 moves ahead. Production quality is pretty nice, art on the cards is really well done - fun, games play quickly, but I don't seem to love it as much as others. It's a bit like chess in the movements, or at least in the thinking ahead about your movements.
Onitama - this is also akin to chess, but you only have 5 total moves in any game, and only 2 available to you at a time, but you know what moves you "may" have next turn and turn after, so again, thinking 2-3 moves ahead. Really nice components, another one of those 2 mins to learn and a lifetime to master. I've played about 20 matches and it's probably a 10-10 split, some rounds you dominate, others you have no idea how you didn't avoid getting captured.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
damn dood. you've been busy. Good spread of games there.

lithy

20 Year Member
Forgot completely about this thread.

I went and spent way too much money at the end of 2016 on board games. So I have actually left a few in shrinkwrap still to give myself time to play each one and to avoid buying more games this year. Of course I did already back one game (Sub Terra) on Kickstarter already this year but I have also sold off a few games that I had just sitting around collecting dust, Factory Fun, Settlers of Catan: Cities and Knights, and Clue FX. Some of the so far unopened games I got are Brew Crafters, Ticket to Ride: Europe, and Cacao: Chocolatl. I bought and unwrapped Dark Moon but haven't been able to get it played yet :(

Bought Pandemic: Iberia which is a fantastic variant if you like regular Pandemic which we do, also got the Pandemic: On the Brink expansion but haven't put much time into it yet.

Also bought Pandemic: Legacy Season 1 to play in 'real-time' (play the months in game during the year). We are in February, lost one game in January, won two games so far. It has been fun, although nothing too crazy happening yet. Feel like we're in store for a lot more changes.

Also played 4v4 on a friends copy of Captain Sonar which was awesome Getting 8 people together is tough though.

Played a learning game of Twilight Struggle on a relative's copy, basically got my ass kicked, but hopefully more games to come.

Still play lots of Secret Hitler at larger get togethers, it really is a fantastic social deduction game. Although Codenames has been a popular pick as well.