Anyone collect board games? Just babbling about them.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I've been picking up games as well. Can't remember If I already posted these earlier. Picked up a few Uwe Rosenberg games. Le Havre, and At the Gates of Loyang. Fun little resource management games.

Both are typical Uwe games, resource management. Both also play solitare which is a plus for me.

Next I picked up 2 games I am excited to try. Innis, and Scythe. I hear both are pretty awesome, so next time I have a thursday off I am going to take it to the board game bar on open table night and try to get some people to play it with me. Scythe looks especially good. The components in Scythe are super nice. You can tell a lot of attention was put into this game. There's a Art Connoisseur version that sells for big bucks on ebay with painted pewter pieces.

IMG_3988.jpg

scythe-board-game-miniatures-1024x451.jpg

pic3112623.jpg

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Next I picked up 2 games I am excited to try. Innis, and Scythe. I hear both are pretty awesome, so next time I have a thursday off I am going to take it to the board game bar on open table night and try to get some people to play it with me. Scythe looks especially good. The components in Scythe are super nice. You can tell a lot of attention was put into this game. There's a Art Connoisseur version that sells for big bucks on ebay with painted pewter pieces.

INIS is a lot of fun, we've been able to get ligher/casual players to enjoy that one, since the rules are simple. What is Scythe like?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Scythe is much longer and more detailed. The asymmetry can be intriguing or frustrating for new players. You feel that other people are overpowered when you are losing. It's a great game, but I'm trying to move away from 3hr+ games.

I'd also recommend people stay away from kickstarter unless you are honestly backing the creators. I still back games, but i do not treat it as a preorder system for exclusives.

We finally started a regular gathering once a week. It's really helped us get through the backlog of games. I think i'm past my over-purchasing issues. Most games have fantastic replay-ability, but we are always chasing the new and shiny.

I got about 3/4 of my Mansions of Madness painted. I'll try to take some pics if I get a chance to break it back out.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Scythe is much longer and more detailed. The asymmetry can be intriguing or frustrating for new players. You feel that other people are overpowered when you are losing. It's a great game, but I'm trying to move away from 3hr+ games.

Yeah, I'd say 3 hours is a little longer than I expected from the quota on the box. Hopefully after a few plays it's a little under 2 hours as the box states.

When I was in the board game shop last week a few people were recommending these games.

Gloomhaven: (kinda pricey)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZXVN4...TF8&colid=2HAMUS5ABXSH1&coliid=I14GUHVKTSBN3F

Clank!:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KAC626...UTF8&colid=2HAMUS5ABXSH1&coliid=ID252Y1F3XBWO

Star Wars Rebellion:
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Re...87645209&sr=1-1&keywords=star+wars+board+game

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Interesting that 'typical Uwe games' was mentioned, I didn't mention it in my post, but I actually put Agricola on the chopping block to sell. Couldn't get any interest over $20 bucks so I just held on to it. Figured its worth more than that just for 3 pounds of wooden pieces.

I struggle with it because when I play the game, I don't hate it, but I don't really have any fun either. The decision making is tense, but ultimately I don't really care, being emotionally invested in the worker placement won't help me in any way. I feel like I 'get it', I'm not playing wrong. You build an engine, make it work efficiently, but the payoff is just to barely manage to feed your family, and the whole thing ends in a very unsatisfying way after a set number of rounds.

So, I bought Brew Crafters, another pure worker placement game with good reviews. Thinking that maybe it was just the theme turning me off from Agricola. Once I get into that one, if I'm still not having any fun, then off to the auction block they go and I guess I can write off owning any more in the future.

I can get into worker placement combined with a more interesting secondary mechanic like Alchemists. I enjoyed a simple little print and play solitaire game called Maquis that has an AI 'enemy'. Maybe worker placement just isn't my jam.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
*GloomHaven - fresh off the boat. You may want to wait for more reviews to trickle in. It's a legacy game as well, so it's only worth it if you have a solid group. Card RPG in a box. My friend bought this, but it hasn't arrived yet.
*Clank - That's a good recommendation. New expansion announced. The theme works well for me.
*SW Rebellion - Most would argue it's really a 2 player game but you can seat 4. It certainly feels like SW, but the allure wears of after 1-2 games. Borrow not Buy, IMO.

lithy

20 Year Member
I'd hate to see what you think expensive is, if $150 shipped is 'kinda pricey' ;)

My limit is still under $40 and more often, around $30.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I've not done a Legacy game, so Pandemic Legacy has been one we've almost pulled the trigger on a few times.

Clank! is another that shows up as one i'm supposed to like, and i'm sure I would. I enjoy deck builders quite a bit. TRAINS is one of my favorites and is a go-to far more often than Dominion.

I've been debating between both Conan and Scythe but as others said - time is a real deal-breaker UNLESS it's a game that you specifically plan to play maybe once a year and dedicate the day to it, like Twilight Imperium III. Neither of those feel like that to me - they just feel very deep, very nice theme, nice art, but in that epic time range w/o being epic. I like 1-2 hour games, I don't mind a 5-8 hour game once or twice a year, but 3 hours is just in a tough spot for my needs.

I did buy Inis, but haven't opened yet. It was $49 at coolstuffinc vs. $85 at amazon at the time, so I pulled the trigger.

Sneth - very interested in the pics of your Mansions minis. We're either doing those next, or Rivet Wars. (great minis, gameplay is fairly simple though and missing...something)

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Just got the Legendary Big Trouble In Little China game. Have not had a chance to play it yet but I'm excited.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
I've been debating between both Conan and Scythe but as others said - time is a real deal-breaker UNLESS it's a game that you specifically plan to play maybe once a year and dedicate the day to it, like Twilight Imperium III. Neither of those feel like that to me - they just feel very deep, very nice theme, nice art, but in that epic time range w/o being epic. I like 1-2 hour games, I don't mind a 5-8 hour game once or twice a year, but 3 hours is just in a tough

My roommate and I went in on the Conan kickstarter actually, and got our stuff a few months ago. It's a really fun game, with an emphasis on cooperative playing. A lot of the scenarios are timed(limited number of turns) as well, so it forces you to think and strategize on your feet. It also makes it so games don't last too long, average game after learning the rules is roughly 45min-1 hour.

Most recently though, my roomy picked up a bunch of stuff for Zombicide. So my group has been playing that the past few weeks. Having a blast with it too. There have been a lot of close calls so far, and we actually horribly lost the last game we played. I like how the enemies are all automated, so there doesn't have to be a human Game Master. Also been thinking about picking up Dungeon Degenerates on pre-order. I missed picking it up during it's kickstarter, but they still have it up on their site for the KS price.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I have Zombicide--found it really disappointing.

There's a lot of little issues I have with it that kept our group from enjoying it (relies too heavily on luck with the zombie horde and friendly fire was a silly rule choice.)

We've been playing Yashima a lot since I've picked up the entire game with expansions.

Very cool group of characters that all feel unique and the gameplay has a solid stragetic co-op feel.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
ahhg. I need to find people that play Yashima near me. I've got it partially painted up, but it's hard to get 1v1 games to the table. What are your thoughts on more than 2 players?

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
I have Zombicide--found it really disappointing.

There's a lot of little issues I have with it that kept our group from enjoying it (relies too heavily on luck with the zombie horde and friendly fire was a silly rule choice.)
The base game is flawed, but they fixed almost every fan complaint with the expansions and then the next standalone games. Friendly fire rule is gone; zombies separate more, barricades (deployed by survivors) can divide or blockade the hordes, survivors don't have to watch others play if they die - can comb back as Zombivivors. Black Plague is outstanding - if I could do it over, i'd skip over Zombicide and go right for Black Plague or Rue Morgue.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
PSA: On amazon right now...

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong - $22 (lightning deal)
Istanbul - $31 (prime early access deal)
Scythe - $79 (not in-stock until 3/2/17, buy from MyQuickMart - $40 less than next lowest seller. Seller seems reliable - I ordered this one and passed on the other two)

EDIT: forgot to mention, type in BIGTHANKS for $8.62 off any purchase off $50 today only.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Tooks some pics today of the Mansions of Madness progress. White balance was bring real goofy with the phone, and I didn't feel like pulling out a real camera.

These are what i would consider tabletop quality. The mini's are overall pretty poor quality for FFG. You can tell this is cheap army-man plastic and molding from 10+ years ago. The latest expansion is a step up, but what you get in the current box is rehashed hand sculpted stuff from their other Arkham games.

I'll start with my custom storage box, and upload the rest later.
Spoiler:

box.png

Dunwich horrow and pal. For most of large based models I tried to do a color scheme based on the literature.
Spoiler:

dunwich.png

ghosts. I didn't want to do them greyscale as that would look boring on the table. at the same time, they look a little too Scooby Doo to me.
Spoiler:

ghosts.png

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Goatspawn. There's not much to do with these. I posed them on objects so it didn't look like they were pooping.
Spoiler:

goats.png

The bug eye thing turned out well. One of my more recent airbrush rush jobs. Star Spawn was initially a standard green, but it looked to comic-like, so I made the green more earthy.

Spoiler:

IMG_1064.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1070.JPG
    IMG_1070.JPG
    714.3 KB · Views: 69

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Those are really excellent man - nice work. Storage box - are those rubberbands then?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Rubber bands threaded do a small wooden dowel on the ends. I condition my rubber bands with armorall, so they hold up really well.
Here's a couple more. I probably wont get back to painting for a month or two. In the middle of a move, and i don't have a house lined up yet.

The zombies started out too green. i then used lighter greens, but it was still not right. Turns out, green zombies with flesh dry brush is perfect. Makes sense thematically as well. The red ink really adds some depth as well. Looks great on wounds and the ribs here.
Spoiler:

IMG_1072.JPG

Migo's. I used leftover clear stands from Xwing to make them fly.
Spoiler:

IMG_1073.JPG

Deep ones. Not much to do here. I could maybe see adding a laying of gloss goo or some glossy seawead to add texture.
Spoiler:

IMG_1075.JPG

I'm still tinkering with these bases. I was trying to make it look like a portal but didn't want it too brightly colored.
Spoiler:

IMG_1079.JPG

Cultists. I used these to practice airbrushing. I was quite pleased with the simple effect.
Spoiler:

IMG_1084.JPGUntitled.png

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
those look pretty damn good. I take it mansions of madness is pretty good if you take all that time to paint those.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Mansions is a neat experience and they looked like an easy paint job.
That was my car floor mat that i used as a backdrop....before vacuuming.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Neosneth,

Very nice work.
Do you find painting them relaxing?
Looks intricate, but I would imagine while painting these time passes pretty quickly.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
yes. it's very relaxing. it's one of the main reasons i paint nowadays.
the hardest part is being able to stop or say a model is done. that is something that I've gotten much better at lately. I dont need to paint everything to the best of my ability, just good enough.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Mine are not nearly your skill level, but we're happy with these we did tonight from Mice and Mystics:

MC57W0k.jpg

x2CgujM.jpg

lkzVJDp.jpg

9Lh8tIq.jpg

Played some Mansions last weekend:
mT4iceI.jpg

qiCy6mN.jpg

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
add a little more wash(ink) then some drybrushing and those mini's would be damn fine.

lithy

20 Year Member
Got to spend a weekend with some of the wife's family. Just played games from Friday night until Sunday morning. Always a good chance to play games beyond our normal two player sessions.

Played the following games, will do some short writeups on the couple new ones I hadn't played before in the next day or so when I have a moment.

Real Time: Captain Sonar
Strategy Stuff: Power Grid, Concordia, Alchemists, Pandemic Iberia
Filler level stuff: Monikers, Codenames, Oregon Trail Card Game

I feel like I'm forgetting something.