Anyone collect board games? Just babbling about them.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Anybody else remember this? It's 29 fucking years old, but I had it when I was a kid, so, when I found a complete copy at a local thrift store on Monday for a mere dollar, I snapped that shit right up (I gave away or sold my original copy many years ago, but this could even be that same one for all I know, stranger things have happened). The previous owner applied the labels incorrectly (there's supposed to be a green and orange nest on both sides of the web, not two green on one side and two orange on the other), but, otherwise, it's in pretty much perfect condition.

The gameplay is pretty simple. You win by either successfully dislodging all of your opponent's spiders (there's only room for one foot peg in each hole on the web) or by reaching their nest. You can move two spider legs per turn (but not the same leg twice), and reinserting any dislodged spider legs on any of your dangling spiders uses up your entire turn, so, there's some strategy involved.

It was the perfect buy for the Eve of Halloween if nothing else.

P1010003.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010009.JPG

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Never saw it - great find for a buck for the feels alone.

There's a game from Queen called Banana Party that seems fairly similar.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Holy crap, I remember that game, but I'm not recalling if we actually had it or maybe a friend did.

I bought a unused copy of Battledome because of nostalgia at a thrift a couple months ago, I think I'll bust it out at Christmas time with my brothers.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Does anyone know anything about the Planet of the Apes game that IDW has put out?

Just read about it today and I am interested but what I know of the gameplay sounds a bit odd, a player controls parts of Taylor's psyche??

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I saw this at Barnes and Noble and told the this is on my christmas list

https://www.amazon.com/Pandemic-Rei...pID=51AIL2gUHlL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

20160603_101314.jpg

Pandemic had a system where characters evolved and took on scars from the disease outbreaks, and I think this system would work amazingly for a Cthulhu game.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I saw this at Barnes and Noble and told the this is on my christmas list

https://www.amazon.com/Pandemic-Rei...pID=51AIL2gUHlL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

20160603_101314.jpg

Pandemic had a system where characters evolved and took on scars from the disease outbreaks, and I think this system would work amazingly for a Cthulhu game.

I picked that up a few months back. It's a nice take on pandemic.

Gloomhaven will be shipping out any day now. I've been waiting many moons to get a copy. Should keep me busy for a very long time.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I have not play that version of Pandemic, but the engine seems well suited for it. Running around closing Gates as if they were outbreaks. That seems like a good fit.

Started up another Descent 2.0Campaign. It's not my favorite Dungeon crawler engine, but my friend has gone all-in on the expansions. The current Overlord is doing well. Some scenarios have just been one-sided from the start. It seems to be that way with most of the newer scenarios out of FFG for this game and Imperial Assault. the older stuff actually seems more balanced. The new ones seem to be balanced IF you read and plan everything in advance. We play blind, as it should be.

Descent.jpg

Playing as Aurim the Apothecary.

I have not received my GloomHaven shipping notice, but I'm considering selling it. I just don't have the group for multiple long Campaigns.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
I haven't gotten into Descent - have been close, but too many others are ahead of it (that are already in the house), so holding off.

We played (2) rounds of Airlines Europe weekend before last. Despite the cheesy boxart, and moderately bland board (boring colors... and why not list ALL cities?) The actual gameplay is FANTASTIC. Turns are quick, you only have 4 options, each of them take 10-20 seconds to perform. Game has a finite end. Which airlines to push and when to reveal your stock is incredibly well done. Can't recommend highly enough for folks who want some strategy, but also a game that will play out in 60 mins (4 players). It plays 2 to 5, but I wouldn't play with less than 3. This same review, almost verbatim, can apply to Ponzi Scheme as well, which is on tap for our game of the year.

This past weekend we had a dexterity game weekend - we typically do that 3-4 times per year. We added in a few (non-dexterity) filler games for when other games go longer (added in Onitama and Battle Line). Carroms, Tumblin' Dice, Catacombs, Pitchcar, Go!, and Klask.

A standalone Catacombs and Castles sequel releases on 11/30.

lithy

20 Year Member
We have been playing shorter stuff lately, Sushi Go and Love Letter and 10 Days in the USA. Less time for longer stuff with a 3 year old and a 2 months old in the house.

But I broke down and bought Pandemic Legacy Season 2 on release, so as we wrap up our Season 1 campaign, we have been playing a game or two of Season 2's prologue (the non-legacy 'base game') each week to get used to it and get ready to start. Keeping up with rules might be more of a challenge since although similar the basic game mechanics have some key differences from normal Pandemic which we will possibly get things confused every so often.

@M

20 Year Member
Scored another great thrift store find for a buck the other day, the 1999 LEGO Creator game, not only complete, but with a bunch of extra bricks as well! With the notable exception of the red boat, which is pretty random, most of the extra bricks are duplicates of the ones that are supposed to be there, so, I'm guessing that the previous owner bought two copies of the game and combined them, probably to make the gameplay smoother for easily frustrated children. Basically, you go around the board trying to complete your LEGO model before the other players (there are 20 different card builds included). And, being LEGO, if you don't want to play the game, you can just say fuck it and build something instead.

The messed up thing is that, at that particular store, if they were just selling the bricks in a Ziploc bag by themselves, they'd probably ask at least $5 for them, and possibly more, but they sell the game for $1--not that I'm complaining, mind you! :D

haul_120717f.jpg

haul_120717g.jpg

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I supported the most recent Kingdom Death Kickstarter. That big fucker of a box came a few weeks ago. Holy shit it’s awesome.

@M

20 Year Member
I've seen quite a few photos of the figurines from Kingdom Death online and it does indeed look awesome. Pricey, but awesome.

lithy

20 Year Member
I did nothing but play games this past weekend from about 5pm Friday until noon Sunday.

Risk: Legacy, Condotierre, Feast for Odin, Spaceteam, Tortuga 1667, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, Pandemic: Contagion, Concordia, Sushi Go, Anomia, and probably something else I am forgetting. Had a good time, hardly won at anything, but would definitely do it again.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
I haven't heard of Condotierre or Anomia. I've heard of, but haven't played Spaceteam, Tortuga and Concordia.

I really like Deception - but that one really requires everyone to be into it, moreso than other social deduction games. It can be the best social game, or among the worst, depending on your crowd, where something like Coup / Werewolf / Resistance and push through ok if you have a couple people not into it.

Two under the radar social party games we spend a lot of time with are Hive Mind (Calliope) and Usual Suspects (CMON).

We played Cosmic Encounter w/one of the 6p expansions on Saturday - one of those games that ended fast though. Only 45 mins start to finish - I was able to occupy quickly and my power was I drew cards anytime someone allied with me (the drew one as well) so in the end when they were all ready to gang up on me I had too powerful a hand (a 40pt, 20+ reinforcements and 2 card zaps).

We played Celestia Friday night which is a lot of fun - push-your-luck game for up to 6 players and each player is involved in every turn.

We also played Paris Connection - which on the table isn't gorgeous, fiddly small trains, boring artwork, and super simple mechanism, but we still haven't played a round we didn't love. Brilliance in the simplicity. A game for up to 6 where turns literally take 15 seconds and you constantly change your strategy.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Back to painting this week. New Mansions of Madness stuff came in, so I have to get the monsters completed. I'm about 1/3 of the way done with the investigators.

Had some new games played at the weekly game night.

Photosynthesis - I didn't want to like this game, but it's quite good. 4 player, euro, very pretty, and quick. We played several games in a row, and they all finished in under an hour.

Civilization
- This one looks heavy, but it's not like its older versions. This one plays in about 2 hours if you know the rules. There's a bit of ameritrash thrown into the euro style. Some may like the randomness, but I see others wanting a more pure experience. Looks like a long epic game on the table, but it's really streamlined.

Flick 'em Up - Dead of Winter - We played with 10 people. That is too many for a game with single person turns and player elimination. Some people were out in the 2nd turn. Pieces look great. Flicking aspect is great. The rules are way fiddly and deeper than expected. They added a fair amount of the Dead of Winter theme. Expect an hour or more to learn this game, which seems high for a flicking dexterity game.

GloomHaven - Haven't played. :) My box showed up. Considering selling it to a local gamer who has free time. I just don't see my friends getting this to the table enough to progress. I also don't want to undertake the 2-3 hours it will take to organize the box.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
my buddy picked up Gloomhaven and proceeded to spend at least a full day sleeving all the cards and then flipping it when he saw how much it was going for on eBay (he doesn’t typically do things like that, but he saw a chance to make some extra Christmas money for his kids and went with it)

I’m not a big Euro guy, but I got Scythe a while back and we’ve played that the past 5-6 sessions and while I’m admittedly not that good at it, it’s a damn fun game and I’m glad I own it

only thing we’ve played recently outside of some 2-player Tash Kalar when it’s just me and one other person as that’s our go to

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Friend of mine has Gloomhaven and is pretty content with the game - seems to be fun. Didn't have a chance to play it myself yet.

@M

20 Year Member
Here's another one that I've wanted for a few years and finally scored for dirt cheap the other day--it's complete and never really used (the original owner opened up the cellophane on the pack of 90 playing cards, but apparently nothing else . . . maybe Gregory killed him/her before they ever got a chance to play?) This is from 2002, made by Upper Deck, and is based on the Japanese CG Gregory Horror Show animated shorts. I haven't tried it yet, but I believe the goal of this game is to capture and control three rooms in the mansion, and then escape the premises, before any of the other players can, or the wandering monsters do you in.

gregory horror show box.jpg

haul_122917e.jpg

If you're unfamiliar with, and want to know more about, Gregory Horror Show, you can read all about it at Bogleech, which is where I first heard about it back in 2013. I've since watched most of the CG animated shorts on YouTube and I really dig the papercraft-esque designs of the characters. There's also a Playstation 1 game I've never tried.

http://www.bogleech.com/halloween/hall13-gregory.html

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Friend of mine has Gloomhaven and is pretty content with the game - seems to be fun. Didn't have a chance to play it myself yet.

A buddy of mine got Gloomhaven from the first kickstarter and we played through it last year. We play pretty regularly, like once a week for a 3-5 hour session. Once we started Gloomhaven in Jan or Feb, we exclusively played it up through October -- this includes several 12 hour weekend sessions and a few weeks where we played multiple times. Obviously we really, really enjoyed it. Even after all that time spent, I think we only ended up completing around 60ish of the 100ish scenarios, and we never got our town above prosperity 6 or 7, so we never unlocked all of the items at the store. We did unlock all of the classes, and some were fucking awesome to play, while a couple were either boring or required too much setup to work properly, and managed to finish the "main" storyline, and then Kingdom Death: Monster showed up so we've been playing that quite a bit. I wouldn't have a problem saying Gloomhaven is my favorite board game ever, but it's not something you can just play randomly with anyone.

KDM is pretty fantastic but it is sort of a pain keeping track of all of the resources and their types, individual survivors with their own stats/disabilities/fighting arts/etc, as well as your settlement stuff. The game can be pretty fucked up at times. Like now we tend to keep a few survivors off to the side and just refer to them as breeding stock so if they die while we make them have babies, it's not a big loss since they weren't buffed up anyway -- and then keeping track of lineage is pretty weird once everyone in your settlement is related...

One of us just got Mythic Battles: Pantheon so we'll be playing that between KDM sessions for a while.

Picked up a few light games over the past week: Dropmix, The Lost Expedition, and Santorini. I grabbed Dropmix because it's "half" off on Amazon right now for $50.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Gregory Horror Show Never heard of that one. That's an odd one for sure. Is the game any good or just an oddity?

I decided to sell my copy of Gloomhaven to a local gamer. Despite getting rave reviews, I know my friends and I will not put the time into it, and it will just sit on my shelf in its giant box. Some of the sessions I watched were rather repetitive anyways. I'm scaling back to shorter games overall really.

@M

20 Year Member
I still haven't played it, so, I can't say if the Gregory's Horror Show game is any good or not, sorry. Skimming through the rules, it seems kind of Dungeons & Dragons lite to me.

lithy

20 Year Member
Another game weekend, mostly stuff we have played before which is nice to do instead of being in a constant new game mode.

--Condotierre, fun games nothing notable, a weird male v. female meta has developed, did not go well for the men
--Kingdomino, I got this for Xmas and it is a great little game
--Codenames, lots of it, fun games as well, had to deploy the Pillow of Integrity many times
--Concordia, why am I still so bad at this game. I like it I can just never get a focused strategy going
--Alchemists, sat this one out, sounded like they had fun
--10 Days in the USA, lots of games, nothing to say here, filler game
--Secret Hitler, also fun, several games although the only time I was a fascist we had to redeal, so always liberal, I did kill Hitler in one game though
--Tsuro lots of games during breakfast prep so people could join in after a short game wrapped up. 6-7 player count, I like this game a lot for what it is.
--Risk: Legacy, got my first win on our board 4 games in, no one was eliminated and we actually never had the whole map occupied.
--Shadows over Camelot, I was the traitor and Good won on their last possible turn, 11 seige engines out, all characters at 1 life, and the next evil card was a Dragon which would have finished that quest for evil, so close.
--Sushi Go Party, sat a couple games of this out as well
--Power Grid, another game where I don't seem to win often, although in this one I got boxed in pretty badly and sat behind the pace of plants for too long. Finished last.
--Pandemic: Rising Tide was the only game played that we hadn't played before, got two games in, the first we lost badly, and the second bordered on being a little easy. Game seems like it could be a little more swingy than other Pandemic variants, but still it was fun, pretty game too.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
We had a game weekend as well:

We actually played Tsuro too, though 9 times of 10 if we want that, we play San Francisco Cable Car instead - it's the same concept, only with scoring and you have more than one piece (train) on the board.

Isle of Skye - plays up to 5, though there are enough of everything to play up to 6, except the starting tile. We made a starting tile and played 6 - it was good. Seems a more in depth Carcassone.

Also Power Grid - this time with "realistic resources" which just adds more aesthetic and tactile enjoyment.

Round 4 of Charterstone - this game design is incredible. I'm enjoying the Legacy aspect, but i'm actually looking forward to completing so we can just play the base game, which is a fast-paced worker placement game for 6 people - fantastic.

Ticket to Ride - 10th Anniversary Edition - huge map, love the simplicity still - timeless. It has the huge routes from the 1910 expansion. Took 2nd.

Ta-Da! - got this during CMON's pre-Christmas overstock sale, $3.50. It's Farkle with some fun thrown in - various rules for each round, keep elbows on table whole round, pick up die with chopstick fingers, cover one eye, compliment a player when you lock a die - and you play simultaneously - so these things are being done in a race aspect. For $3.50 - we're ahead of the game. I can see us bringing it out twice a year, which is just fine.

Queen's Necklace - also during CMON's sale - $9. It was ok, not as great as I was expecting based on some reviews and the game designers. It's a borderline filler game - plays in about 40 minutes. Not sure how often it will hit the table. We like fillers to play 6 or more. If we're only playing 4 - we want more depth than this has to offer. Keeping for now.

lithy

20 Year Member
I realize the other thread got bumped and it was really confusing, maybe a mod could just merge both threads together?

We have been playing our Pandemic Legacy Season 2 to coincide with the calendar months. Got our asses handed to us twice for March but got a satisfying victory in April.

Also found two copies of Heroquest at the thrift shops in the past month. First copy was really nice, traded it to a local guy who wanted it for a small pile of games. One of the games included was Jaipur which has been a hit for my wife. Nice set collecting/drafting 2 player game.

Trying to think of what else we have played recently, sadly it hasn't been much, had two kids that can't stay healthy.

I will say if anyone likes to do Print and Play games, I really recommend checking out Microbrew, it is a surprisingly deep but small game for 2 players, a main worker placement mechanic with a side of a puzzle. I was drawn to it because of the beer theme and two players but my wife and I have both really enjoyed it.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Our weekly game night is still going strong. It's sometimes goes too well and we get 12+ people showing up. Not easy to host 12+ people at your house with boardgames.....I need a good fold up table option.

New to the table,
Arctic Scavengers - deckbuilder set in post apoc cold earth. Lots of player interaction. Huge replay ability and expansions.
Fallout boardgame - This is quite rogue-like, but captures the feeling of fallout. Narrative cards go into a quest deck to try and tell a story. the mechanics all work great, but don't look for something competitive. It feels like a modern Talisman.

Darkest Night - Might be my favorite fantasy co-op at this point. New production from VPG is just amazing.
Shadowrun Zero Day - 2 player only, decker battle. Quite like it for quick 2 player game. I usually hate 2 player.
Dinosaur Island - Looks like Ameritrash, plays like a euro. Great components. Theme fell flat with me, but everyone else is liking it.

Last edited: