RIP Roddy Piper

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I loved his character. A lot of people fail to realize that he was the guy that made Wrestlemania I, and not Hogan or Mr. T. I subscribed to the WWE Network for a bit and watched their reality show that had Piper on it, and it made me appreciate him a lot more. All of my childhood favorites are dying. Mr. Perfect, Macho Man, Warrior, and now Piper.

Fuck, I need a drink.

Rest in Peace, man.

View attachment 27336

EDIT -- Showing my appreciation for the guy, here's one of my fondest childhood memories:

I saw a interview with Hot Rod and he was recounting this segment. He said the coconut he broke on superfly's head was real, and knew that Jimmy was going to kick his ass for real of he got hold of him, so he made sure to hide from him later.

He was so awesome. All my favorites are gone now. Hot Rod, Macho Man, Mr Perfect, Rick Rude, Bam Bam Bigelow. Sad they're all dying so young.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
with each death of one of my wrestling heroes another piece of my childhood memories dies
The thing is now more than ever our childhood memories is where our heroes and idols will live for the rest of our lives, so don't let them die, in the contrary, keep 'em alive and hold to them dearly 'cause it is all we have left and no one can take them away from us until we're gone.

I know it's a different thing but when Dio died I felt heavily afflicted, specially 'cause he was still performing and recent before his death, he was with Black Sabbath again doing the Heaven & Hell thing which was great. I couldn't even bring myself to listen to anything with Dio, it was painful but after much grief I finally and thankfully realized that it's not the person that I'll miss but what they left with me that I admired and that's not going anywhere, that's their legacy and it's with me forever, that's their goal to reach every single one of us and leave something behind, carry it with you and don't let it die, this feeling you get when you remember your childhood greats it's part of who you are...anyway, just getting nostalgic and rambling like an old dog...

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Watching They Live in his honor right now.

R.I.P., Mr. Piper... you were taken too soon. :(

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
:( :( :(

What a damn shame. I always had an affection for Piper and his antics. I dare say that he was one of the pillars that made the WWF rise to the top just as much as Hogan, Savage, and Andre did.

For some reason, one of the first memories I have of Piper is when he was a color commentator alongside Vince McMahon. The character of Saba Simba was making his way to the ring and Piper blurted out "That's Tony Atlas!!" in a very unscripted fashion (you could clearly tell McMahon was NOT amused by the reveal). :emb:

At any rate, thanks for the years of entertainment you provided while I was growing up Mr. Piper. May you Rest In Peace. :crying:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
RIP hot rod damn reading this now,sad news indeed.I grew up on the wwe in the 80's and he really stood out playing the heel.Dunno why but all of a sudden i think of this music video he was in.

Last edited:

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
RIP Piper. They Live was indeed a classic.

If you haven't seen it, Hell Comes to Frogtown is a good backdrop for a few beers and laughs. I'd recommend it.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Your not alone man, with each death of one of my wrestling heroes another piece of my childhood memories dies.

I don't even fucking recognize any of these new whippersnappers in the current WWF oh I mean WWE

Because they all look the same anyway.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I had no idea that he was a wrestler. I just thought he was awesome in They Live.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
I just the other day watched the episode of "It's Always Sunny..." that he guest-starred in. Sucks to see these guys from the golden age of wrestling passing away.

He was actually in a second episode (season 8 I think?) though while I love that show, his best performance in straight acting in my eyes will always be They Live.

Like so many others, he was one of my earliest favorites too, right up there with Hogan and Andre and Ultimate.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
"I'm giving you a choice. Either put on these glasses, or start eating that trash can."

Piper was my favorite old school wrestler and he never got enough credit for making the WWF/E what it is. There's no Hogan without Piper and Andre.

RIP You crazy canuck.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The thing is now more than ever our childhood memories is where our heroes and idols will live for the rest of our lives, so don't let them die, in the contrary, keep 'em alive and hold to them dearly 'cause it is all we have left and no one can take them away from us until we're gone.

I know it's a different thing but when Dio died I felt heavily afflicted, specially 'cause he was still performing and recent before his death, he was with Black Sabbath again doing the Heaven & Hell thing which was great. I couldn't even bring myself to listen to anything with Dio, it was painful but after much grief I finally and thankfully realized that it's not the person that I'll miss but what they left with me that I admired and that's not going anywhere, that's their legacy and it's with me forever, that's their goal to reach every single one of us and leave something behind, carry it with you and don't let it die, this feeling you get when you remember your childhood greats it's part of who you are...anyway, just getting nostalgic and rambling like an old dog...

:crying: Beautifully put. I feel the same way.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
RIP hot rod! My favorite wrestler when i was a kid, he shall be missed :(

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Man one by one the legends are disappearing.

Truly one of the best. RIP

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
R.I.P. you beautiful Scot-Playing bastard! I grew up watching the Snake Pit and enjoyed his cameo on Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
My favorite thing about Roddy is how he walks shaking his head side to side like a bobble head but in a really cool demeaning way, he was the best character from his time, so awesome to watch to this day. Not so hot in the ring though but he made it up with much needed mic skills and personality traits.

Mr. Perfect to me is the best of the best, right next to flair and Macho.

hehe i remember that headshake :)...my favorite was the ultimate warrior...gorilla press and gone !

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Piper pulled off the "unhinged lunatic" 'rassler gimmick really well.

RIP.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Piper was loved by our whole generation. Never kept up with rassling after those golden years past, but my memories of watching it and laughing/cheering/booing were some of the few memories that stuck. The kids of the 80's and 90's were the last who truly got to enjoy their childhood to the fullest.

Gonna watch "They Live", "... Frogtown" and drink a couple beers, a toast to the last of the good 'ol days.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
R.I.P. you beautiful Scot-Playing bastard! I grew up watching the Snake Pit and enjoyed his cameo on Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

You know, he kept calling you the n-word earlier?!

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
came to pay my respects to someone I remember fondly from childhood. thx for the memories, Roddy.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
The WWF tribute from tonight's RAW:

Very well done.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
47bb1b01f4c85e733c93fe97d306b930.jpg