Dreamcast imports problem

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
So I used to have an NTSC-J Dreamcast for playing imports, but I gave it to my brother.

I have a Cheats N Codes Vol 1 disc, which is supposed to work as a boot disc to allow you to play imports on a Dreamcast.

I have the Black SEGA Sports NTSC Dreamcast and am trying to play my JP copy of Street Fighter Zero 3.

I boot the Cheat disc, select start game, put the copy of Street Fighter in, and it boots... but after it gets to the "Produced by or under license from SEGA Enterprises, LTD" screen the console reboots and it dumps me to the console menu.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

This Dreamcast has never suffered from any random resetting issues. It works perfectly with all my US games. I never use burned discs in it either.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
What kind of video cable are you using? Street fighter zero 3 will not run via RGB scart.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
What kind of video cable are you using? Street fighter zero 3 will not run via RGB scart.

I've noticed VGA supported games often boot with no video as well.

Anyway, I've seen quite a few bad Dreamcast discs, discs with no visible physical defects that when booted kick you back to the menu. Even stranger is that I've noticed I might have a disc that will sometimes load on one of my Dreamcasts, never load on another one. and then another disc that exhibits the same behavior only with the Dreamcast that will sometimes boot it being the one that would never boot the first disc.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've noticed VGA supported games often boot with no video as well.

Anyway, I've seen quite a few bad Dreamcast discs, discs with no visible physical defects that when booted kick you back to the menu. Even stranger is that I've noticed I might have a disc that will sometimes load on one of my Dreamcasts, never load on another one. and then another disc that exhibits the same behavior only with the Dreamcast that will sometimes boot it being the one that would never boot the first disc.

I never had this issue with original games or backups. I guess it depends on the monitor or vga adapter you are using.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
that would be the problem. dammit.

Yea, It's annoying. Some games work via scart but do not work via vga and some games are the opposite. They have a RGB patched SFZ3 iso out there if you want to play in RGB without swapping cables.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Nah, I don't do burned discs in my Dreamcast (not for any moral reasons, I'm just paranoid I'll wear out the laser mechanism).

I just dug out my composite cable like a cave man.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Yeah SSF2T doesnt work over scart/RGB either. I have to use a patched iso if I want that or use the saturn port out of the collection because I've been spoiled by da RGB.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
I never had this issue with original games or backups. I guess it depends on the monitor or vga adapter you are using.

These were all problems with original discs.

I strongly suspect it to be GD-ROM manufacturing defects and certain systems just happen to have the laser calibrated to a sweet spot to read the poorly made discs.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Nah, I don't do burned discs in my Dreamcast (not for any moral reasons, I'm just paranoid I'll wear out the laser mechanism).

I just dug out my composite cable like a cave man.

Get the Svideo cable, it helps a good amount.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
If your RGB device support 31khz and 15khz signals you can use something like the Toro to get both RGB and VGA support from your scart wire. TORO .

I use a Hanzo and a Zenzei combined because the Toro was not available at the time. You just change the switch when your game do not support VGA and send it all to my scart switch.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
For those games that refuse to work over scart RGB you can downscale them using an EXtron Emotia or any other device that can convert VGA 480p into 15khz, I don't know why Sega did this but it just sucks not being able to play some games over scart RGB, others also don't work over VGA, games such as Plasma Sword or Kikaioh would benefit a lot from a 31khz display.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Does anyone know of someone who mods Dreamcasts for a reasonable price?

I'd love to get a region free mod and/or the replacement battery holder mod.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
There is a guy on ebay that does them.

famicommander

15 Year Member
There is a guy on ebay that does them.
I saw that the other day. I might take him up on it this coming payday.

Definitely the battery holder and region mods, and possibly a new LED. I was thinking green would look cool with my black console, but I haven't decided yet.

I don't think I'll do the overclock mod though.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
I saw that the other day. I might take him up on it this coming payday.

Definitely the battery holder and region mods, and possibly a new LED. I was thinking green would look cool with my black console, but I haven't decided yet.

I don't think I'll do the overclock mod though.

Speaking of a new LED. Is anyone aware of a place that still sells the various color Dreamcast shells that you used to be able to buy for 20-30.00 back when the system was still contemporary?

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
Then you need to go all out and get a USB-GDROM or a GDEMU and ditch the laser entirely!!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Burned discs don't wear out lasers... either the system can read it or it can't. unless you tweak the pot to read bad burns or cdrw you've got nothing to worry about. The only thing that would wear out is the mechanical aspect that moves the laser, not the laser itself, and that doesn't really matter unless the burn has all the files in a shitty order or whatnot.

LED mod is super easy, so is the battery. I haven't done the region free, but I have done the "one wire" region mod that lets you reflash to a different region. I didn't even do a holder in mine, I just put in 2 rechargeable AAA's. As long as I use the console on a semi-regular basis they'll charge up and hold enough of a charge.

Last edited: