Get Windows 10 is annoying the piss out of me

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I haven't bothered with Windows on my personal computers since about 8 years ago. Now the only machine I have with Windows is an old laptop dual booting RHEL7 and Win7 for the stupid EPROM programmer, which only runs on WIndows. For everything else, I use Linux or my macbook.

Regards.

I'm the reverse. I have 5 desktops & 3 laptops(not including my tablets). I have OpenSUSE on 2 of the desktops, Windows 8.1 on 2 & Windows 10 on the last. On the laptops I'm running Tails, Ubuntu MATE & Windows 10.
When I have free time(and I'm using a PC), I try to devote as much of that time as possible to music production(electronic)... and that happens to be my main Windows 10 desktop. I have a Macbook Air also, but I hate how small the screen is and the small HD so I never use it.

Btw people... when switching to Windows 10... if possible, do a clean install. "upgrades" are the ones that are occasionally problematic. Whenever we get in a Windows 10 system that's not working properly(at work), 100% of the time it's one that's been upgraded. That and more then 1/2 of them were malware/virus' related(infections that carried over from their previous OS')

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yep, thought everything was going to be smooth with my upgrade, but the last 2 days when shutting down, it hangs up on a few programs that wont close.

Did the clean install today. Actually, I told it to do a clean install, but it didn't wipe my hard drive. Odd.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Yep, thought everything was going to be smooth with my upgrade, but the last 2 days when shutting down, it hangs up on a few programs that wont close.

Did the clean install today. Actually, I told it to do a clean install, but it didn't wipe my hard drive. Odd.

if it wiped it, then it couldn't use all that delicious information about you.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I haven't bothered with Windows on my personal computers since about 8 years ago. Now the only machine I have with Windows is an old laptop dual booting RHEL7 and Win7 for the stupid EPROM programmer, which only runs on WIndows. For everything else, I use Linux or my macbook.

Regards.

Get a Batronix. Full Linux support.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member

It does that so you don't lose your stored data. You just lose all installed programs, accounts, and customizations so you get a clean install

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
updated my tablet. No wifi adapter now.
kinda useless.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Check to see if its missing the driver for it. Things like this always happen when Windows goes to a newer version. That's the likely cause. Download to a flash drive from another computer or use a USB -> LAN dongle to download it direct.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I had an issue today on someone's HP laptop I installed Windows 10(was another "upgrade"). Everything went fine & Windows 10 installed all the drivers. Afterwards though, the wifi would connect but kept showing "limited" and not properly load any websites. I ended up uninstalling the wifi driver & then manually installed the 'Windows 7' driver for it from HP's website. After doing so, the wifi then worked perfectly.

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
The new Insider build got released yesterday that is supposed to be primarily improved context menus, new ways to provide feedback on Insider, and the official support of language packs in the new builds. I have yet to really take a look at the insides of it yet but I am hoping with the language pack support the RSAT will work better. A big issue that's been reported though is that 64-bit Chrome will instantly crash upon launch but the 64-bit Canary dev build still works fine. I started to get a little worried about that last one because I use Canary almost exclusively and then I read that it's the one working fine.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I had an issue today on someone's HP laptop I installed Windows 10(was another "upgrade"). Everything went fine & Windows 10 installed all the drivers. Afterwards though, the wifi would connect but kept showing "limited" and not properly load any websites. I ended up uninstalling the wifi driver & then manually installed the 'Windows 7' driver for it from HP's website. After doing so, the wifi then worked perfectly.

If its an Intel WiFi device, I'd recommend grabbing their OEM driver for it from their website. Should be more stable than using a Windows 7 driver. Otherwise, just stick with that for now until HP updates their drivers.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
one thing I have noticed is that randomly when it boots up, the mouse cursor is stuck at the very top of the screen and when I try to move it in any direction with the touchpad all it does is move quickly back and forth. Quite odd, but a reboot remedies it.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
This is cool. I had installed Windows 10 on a laptop that I later upgraded the hard drive on. Anyway, I just grabbed that hard drive and installed it on a Macbook Pro tonight. I turned on the Mac and forgot to hold down the keys for Internet Recovery.... it then went to the Windows 10 screen & displayed the 'getting devices ready' msg. After about 5 minutes, it booted right into Windows 10 and everything works just fine. Debating if I should just keep it like this or not.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I call bullshit on this. M$ is going for a pay-as-you use model. Fuck them in their tight, cash-run-grabbing asses. Apphole isn't much better, but they are the lesser of two evils. Linux (Ubunto) is the way to go.