Dr. Dre is supposed to announce a release date for Detox on Saturday

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Apparently the NWA movie was what finally spurred him into getting a whole album together. So I guess Suge Knight just needs to murder more people or something.

I'd be more eager to hear this if it wasn't for the fact that Dre sounded utterly terrible with Eminem and Skylar Grey on "I Need a Doctor" (seriously, he sounds like a country white guy pretending to be a rapper. It's awful).

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
We'll see if this even happens. He's been working on this album for so long, he's probably put together about 5-10 albums worth of material by now. It would be cool if he could put out anything close to as good as his first two albums, but sometimes overthinking and rethinking a song or songs can really hurt the music. Anyone ever hear GnR's (Axel's) Chinese Democracy?

I've heard a bunch of supposed "leaked" tracks that he's been working on for the album. Some are actualy pretty good, but I expect none will be on the final album.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Chinese Democracy was horrendous, and I'm sad to say I was one of the chumps who bought a copy on the first week.

Dre sounded tired and uninspiring in I Need a Doctor, he has for quite some time. I'd love to hear some angry Dre, one that was real, brutally honest, and up front like his Snoop days or even Eminem's early psycho stage.

Let's be honest, the Beats brand of headphones is one of his best career moves.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Let's be honest, the SELLING off of Beats brand of headphones and Beats Music (apple music) is one of his best career moves.

fixed

Unfortunately, now that he's SUPER rich, he really has no motive to make good music anymore.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Chinese Democracy was horrendous, and I'm sad to say I was one of the chumps who bought a copy on the first week.

You were hoping for Appetite 2 and you didn't get it, doesn't make the album horrendous. Better, There Was a Time and I.R.S. were worth $15 alone, the rest was a bonus.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
You were hoping for Appetite 2 and you didn't get it, doesn't make the album horrendous. Better, There Was a Time and I.R.S. were worth $15 alone, the rest was a bonus.

Better, IRS and maybe Chinese Democracy were the only songs I remember liking on that album but it yeah it wouldn't say it was horrendous. Just didn't come close to measuring up to previous GnR albums (which were great).

As for Detox, i'll believe it when I see it. We've been on this merry go round a 1000 times now so i'm not getting excited just yet. Plus it aint gonna be the same without Nate.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
So he announced he has a new album coming out on Friday. But it's not Detox, he said that he didn't like it, so it's apparently scrapped.

The new album is called "Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre". Oh and it's exclusively on iTunes' Apple Music, and I assume iTunes as well.

here

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
So he announced he has a new album coming out on Friday. But it's not Detox, he said that he didn't like it, so it's apparently scrapped.

The new album is called "Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre". Oh and it's exclusively on iTunes' Apple Music, and I assume iTunes as well.

here

Just saw this. Damn.

That's become more the norm lately- announce something a few days ahead of time. I assume to try to combat leaks/streams.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Apparently the NWA movie was what finally spurred him into getting a whole album together. So I guess Suge Knight just needs to murder more people or something.

I'd be more eager to hear this if it wasn't for the fact that Dre sounded utterly terrible with Eminem and Skylar Grey on "I Need a Doctor" (seriously, he sounds like a country white guy pretending to be a rapper. It's awful).

I thought "sounding terrible" was part of the brand.

Attachments

• graphCompare.php.png
    graphCompare.php.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 113

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Eh. I didn't mind "Kush," though I think it's arguable that Akon has more presence on the song than Dre. I'm glad he admitted that the work he'd done was subpar, though I still don't have high expectations for this.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Eh. I didn't mind "Kush," though I think it's arguable that Akon has more presence on the song than Dre. I'm glad he admitted that the work he'd done was subpar, though I still don't have high expectations for this.

The tidbits he's released so far sound sub par

Time might have passed Dre by

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Album is nothing without Scott Storch. He was and always will be the talent behind Dre.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Good reviews so far. Going to have to buy it on iTunes this weekend.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The production is pretty insane- it's eclectic as hell and is really quite impressive. Dre's flow, though, I still don't know. He sounds pretty different than he did on Chronic 2001, and not for the better (he sounds like he's yelling most of his lyrics now). It's far better than I Need a Doctor (I'm still convinced he was zonked on cough syrup or in half a coma for that one or something) at least.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
"Just Another Day" and "Animals" were good tracks, but overall I was less than impressed.

I guess Dre just doesn't have it in him anymore.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
New ghostwriters :)

So am I the only one here that views Dr. Dre as much more of a producer than an MC? IMO his albums are more to promote artists that he's working with and show off his production styles. I'm pretty sure he has other MCs "ghostwrite" his lyrics on all his albums, I don't really think he tries to hide that.

Anywhooo, back on the subject:
I listened to the new album yesterday. Thought it was pretty cool. Not at all what I expected, and the production is all over the place. I'm going to have to listen to this album through a few times before I'll have a full opinion. Definitely some tracks that stick out above the rest. "Issues" really stood out for me right away. I'm sure after a few more listens, others will too.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
fixed

Unfortunately, now that he's SUPER rich, he really has no motive to make good music anymore.

This exactly. I'm not really a fan of rap, but growing up in the 90's it was hard not to hear snoop, dre, etc. That music, the emotions it conjured up were legit as he was writing/rapping from a place of anger/feeling that he just can't capture anymore. I'm not saying wealthy people don't have problems but with 4 billion in the bank it's hard to conjure up anger/ anything that the majority of youth can relate to.

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
So am I the only one here that views Dr. Dre as much more of a producer than an MC? IMO his albums are more to promote artists that he's working with and show off his production styles. I'm pretty sure he has other MCs "ghostwrite" his lyrics on all his albums, I don't really think he tries to hide that.

Anywhooo, back on the subject:
I listened to the new album yesterday. Thought it was pretty cool. Not at all what I expected, and the production is all over the place. I'm going to have to listen to this album through a few times before I'll have a full opinion. Definitely some tracks that stick out above the rest. "Issues" really stood out for me right away. I'm sure after a few more listens, others will too.
Nah, he isn't even producing stuff in the classical sense of a rap-producer anymore. He is more of a director, that brings together different people to form the vision of dre. i didn't listen to the album yet, but my expectations are pretty low. Btw, r.i.p. sean price.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Nah, he isn't even producing stuff in the classical sense of a rap-producer anymore. He is more of a director, that brings together different people to form the vision of dre.

Ugh, you hit the nail on the head. :crying:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
We'll always have 100 Miles and Runnin...

Last edited:

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I listened to Dre's new Compton album at work on Friday with a guy that's from LA and has a strong tie to that whole scene. He threw it away after we listened to it. Haha

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
I listened to it now. Well, hmm, I liked two songs, if I remember correctly.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
It's okay imo. Could have been better. The featurings are retty meh. Not a fan of King Mez, Xzibit nor The Game... at all. I was expecting more songs with Kendrick considering the name of this project.