Game Gear LCD upgrade

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
Can't tell yet. I just played through Land of Illusion last night with the AC adapter. I have a lot of handhelds and made good experience with black Eneloops. I can post battery life in a couple of days.

Genki

n00b
I got my GG modded with McWill LCD mod and it is very nice. Plus it does show GG games in full screen, not shrunken like the older RGB mod board.

I should warn ya, LCD mod draws a bit more power than old LCD. Throw in Everdrive GG and my batteries came out very hot after about 10 minutes. Not fried eggs hot but hard to hold them hot. It's the same thing with my LCD modded Turboexpress and Turbo Everdrive. :/

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
whats battery life like?

I would say battery life is more or less the same compared to an unmodded GG. I could play 3:40 hours with black Eneloops.

I should warn ya, LCD mod draws a bit more power than old LCD. Throw in Everdrive GG and my batteries came out very hot after about 10 minutes. Not fried eggs hot but hard to hold them hot. It's the same thing with my LCD modded Turboexpress and Turbo Everdrive. :/

Can't confirm that. My batteries don't get hot at all, just a bit warm. Even after hours of playing.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I'd been keeping an eye on the GGLCD mod from Japan but they're always sold out. Good to find out about McWill - will be much easier ordering from someone who speaks English.

Genki

n00b
I forgot to take picture of my wiring work before I closed it up.

Here's some picture galore:
swEmAuGl.jpg

playing SMS game and GG game without any noticeable issue. No shrinking like the old RGB mod. The internal LCD has 2 available modes: scanline and no scanline. For the GG game, classic scanline seems better, maybe because I am used to it after 25 years+. But for SMS games, no scanline seems better.

You can change between scan modes anytime by pressing all 3 buttons.

Also my GG has VGA out port and on the monitor I can see quite well if a bit blocky. After looking around my console, I decided port on the side won't work because it's curved and would be a bit tricky to get even cut plus it's also hard to get mounting screws secured near the seam between front and back half. I ended up having it stick out of the back near the converter mounting screw, it just fits if I ever needed a Master Gear converter and VGA display.

The plug does not get in the way of my hands but YMMV.

QXVQxgL.jpg

One thing I noticed, I can't change between internal LCD and VGA on the spot, so I needed to set the dial high for VGA or low for internal LCD. I don't know if this is intended or not.

VGA default mode: (full with scanline)
64rDUi4.jpg

VGA second mode (full without scanline)
PUyIuzI.jpg

VGA third mode (reduced with scanline)
yzbVfy1.jpg

and last one (reduced no scanline)
Zomhhqc.jpg

It may be just me but the reduced mode looked slightly better with even square pixels while the full screen had a few stretched pixels. This was all on 4:3 display, a 16:9 display (or heaven forbid a monster 21:9 display) that doesn't offer classic 4:3 mode will look awful.

SMS games also looked fine in full screen:
Tqg4CO1.jpg

0rp3YID.jpg

I did not take the other 2 SMS modes, it was tiny. Maybe the tiny mode would be fine if you were playing on a 100" display and didn't like Tetris-esque blocks.

large LCD looks fine with scanline mode. I don't have a working VGA CRT and only got an ancient 15Khz RGB display that is not VGA compatible but I would imagine no scanline mode looks best on CRT due to natural scanlines.

One thing I noticed was that in scanline mode, there were varying brightness level on horizontal lines. I don't know if this is the way the mod was done or if I need to recheck my wiring?

I used an old 15" 4:3 NEC VGA panel that I found at a Goodwill for about $5. It had a full glass front which meant easy to clean. Most LCD has bezel that can trap dust and grimes in the corner.

Last edited:

Genki

n00b
One thing I noticed, I can't change between internal LCD and VGA on the spot, so I needed to set the dial high for VGA or low for internal LCD. I don't know if this is intended or not.
my bad, missed a wire, it now works correctly and I can change between LCD and VGA anytime.