Windows 10: You going to upgrade for free?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
To those of you that are PC gamers, have you decided to, or not to get the free windows 10 upgrade?

Explain why, or why not?

I haven't decided yet because I want to make sure I can still play all my older games, and some of the new stuff that might have issues at first. But I have not researched yet.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Fuck and... NO...

If you wanna more professional opinion... Trippy will give you the lowdown on this POS that MS is pushing to you poor saps...

xROTx

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm probably not going to do it. Worried about compatibility issues and want to see if its going to be a flop first.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Fuck and... NO...

If you wanna more professional opinion... Trippy will give you the lowdown on this POS that MS is pushing to you poor saps...

xROTx

I'd like to hear this. I have Win7 and want to know if its worth the trouble upgrading.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
7 ultimate is still a beast. It took me a long time to switch from xp to 7 and I'm definitely not messing with Vista or 8. I want to see some reviews before I make the switch.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I'd like to hear this. I have Win7 and want to know if its worth the trouble upgrading.

Trippy will be along shortly... he'll give you an INFORMED view....

Sadly... poor fook is like MS god or something...

xROTx

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Whenever you post like this, it always comes across to me as overly sarcastic.

YUP... that's what makes me... well.. me...

Usually no fook knows if I'm being serious or not...

xROTx

PS. S'RZLY.... Trippy will be along soon...

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
On my laptop which has 8 on it, yes. 10 can't be much worse than that.

Trippy will be along shortly... he'll give you an INFORMED view....

Sadly... poor fook is like MS god or something...

xROTx

Said the macfag.

Last edited:

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
10 still has compatibility mode for all OS back to XP

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I am a PC gamer (waaaaay too much BF4) and I will be upgrading as soon as it is available.

I currently run WiN 8.1. I like being on top of the newest software, specifically OSs, and have been that way as long as I can remember (I had a pirated beta version of Windows 95 I got from a BBS).

I just built a new rig a few months back and I am sure it is up to the challenge. Looking forward to this new version of DirectX everyone is talking about.

The upgrade from 7 to 8 was not that significant in terms of incompatibilities from what I recall and I don't see there being many problems here.

tl;dr Checking out new stuff is cool, looking forward to 10.

To those of you that are PC gamers, have you decided to, or not to get the free windows 10 upgrade?

Explain why, or why not?

I haven't decided yet because I want to make sure I can still play all my older games, and some of the new stuff that might have issues at first. But I have not researched yet.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
10 uses more of your processing power. I'd recommend not doing it but that's just me.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

Said the macfag.

ALL my macs run windows via bootcamp... macs make the most stable Win OS machines...

Unsure what your beef is... but I use windows 7 on a mac because it's more stable than the generic suppliers of PC's...

You should learn to relax... I don't even get mad at your posts... However, one day i may have to consider that you're stalking me... and Wasabi saved you last time...

I'm not Wasabi...

xROTx

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

Said the macfag.

Exactly, I jumped on the offer for my crappy school laptop, but my desktop... meh...

Here's a quick paste I found reading an article, as I wanted to read up on the new direct X.

But before you get too excited, remember that the mere presence of DX12 in Windows 10 is essentially useless until graphics drivers and other software are released to take advantage of Microsoft’s new gaming API. We might not have to wait long for the first of those tools: The day of the big Windows 10 press event, Futuremark told Forbes contributor Jason Evangelho that it hopes to introduce a new “API Overhead Feature Test” to its 3DMark benchmarking suite imminently after this latest Windows 10 Preview build dropped, though Microsoft likely has some sway in the exact release timing.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I won't be updating to the free version but I cannot say whether or not I will end up using it at some point in the future. My general rule of thumb for computing is that I only upgrade or update based on requirement. Either due to if I need to run a software program or part failure.

The "free" version is advertising based. You will get advertisements in the Live Tiles in the Start Menu and likely will see advertisements in other parts of the OS. Placeholder ad spaces were found early on in the Insider Preview. The warranty or support for the OS is based on a general "lifetime of device" estimate. For a Desktop PC this is 4 years from GA, July 19, 2015. They have no concern whether your PC is one month or 10 years old.

In the OS in general (not just the free upgrade) there are some big time privacy concerns. When you go through initial startup, it asks you about settings, with a "Use Express Settings" button. If you read the text there you can see what it does. If you choose customize settings it breaks it down some more.
Spoiler:
20150430_105530_zpsjt7apwsf.jpg

20150430_105642_zpsitesiwsm.jpg

Whether you are using a local or Live account, you can almost guarantee that your info is going to be farmed out eventually.

Just about all other concerns I have about the OS is mainly UI related. There is a lot of empty space as the OS is still primarily designed for use on mobile devices. Search has been changed so it will search online as well as local to the system. The search bar takes up too much space and search has been bad since Windows 7 for my needs. Third party tools can fix this.

Another thing is you cannot block updates. This Windows Update will try to install drivers. Anyone who uses their PC for gaming will already know to not ever install the video drivers from Windows Update. This is especially a problem for anyone who needs to run specific driver versions for their software.

There are some things I do like about Windows 10 that I wish were in previous versions. One is the recovery/refresh mechanism no longer requiring a separate recovery image. However there is a concern that this may end up being insufficient to removing an infection, since Windows 10 uses the backup files for refresh. One problem with doing a Refresh is that it will uninstall nearly all of your software. It isn't a repair install like in the XP days.

If I were to use this in the future, I would add it to a domain. And then have WSUS installed on the DC in order to handle how Windows Update works and then I can control what updates get offered to the PC. And of course shut off all those options I posted in the pics in the spoiler. And finally would use a Start Menu replacement such as Tihiy's StartIsBack because the Start Menu in Windows 10 suuuuuuuuucks.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I won't be updating to the free version but I cannot say whether or not I will end up using it at some point in the future. My general rule of thumb for computing is that I only upgrade or update based on requirement. Either due to if I need to run a software program or part failure.

The "free" version is advertising based. You will get advertisements in the Live Tiles in the Start Menu and likely will see advertisements in other parts of the OS. Placeholder ad spaces were found early on in the Insider Preview. The warranty or support for the OS is based on a general "lifetime of device" estimate. For a Desktop PC this is 4 years from GA, July 19, 2015. They have no concern whether your PC is one month or 10 years old.

In the OS in general (not just the free upgrade) there are some big time privacy concerns. When you go through initial startup, it asks you about settings, with a "Use Express Settings" button. If you read the text there you can see what it does. If you choose customize settings it breaks it down some more.
Spoiler:

Whether you are using a local or Live account, you can almost guarantee that your info is going to be farmed out eventually.

Just about all other concerns I have about the OS is mainly UI related. There is a lot of empty space as the OS is still primarily designed for use on mobile devices. Search has been changed so it will search online as well as local to the system. The search bar takes up too much space and search has been bad since Windows 7 for my needs. Third party tools can fix this.

Another thing is you cannot block updates. This Windows Update will try to install drivers. Anyone who uses their PC for gaming will already know to not ever install the video drivers from Windows Update. This is especially a problem for anyone who needs to run specific driver versions for their software.

There are some things I do like about Windows 10 that I wish were in previous versions. One is the recovery/refresh mechanism no longer requiring a separate recovery image. However there is a concern that this may end up being insufficient to removing an infection, since Windows 10 uses the backup files for refresh. One problem with doing a Refresh is that it will uninstall nearly all of your software. It isn't a repair install like in the XP days.

If I were to use this in the future, I would add it to a domain. And then have WSUS installed on the DC in order to handle how Windows Update works and then I can control what updates get offered to the PC. And of course shut off all those options I posted in the pics in the spoiler. And finally would use a Start Menu replacement such as Tihiy's StartIsBack because the Start Menu in Windows 10 suuuuuuuuucks.

So basically everything sounds bad...

Recovery is important issue obviously, and getting a good image on there is nice in case you have a lot of trouble with a persistent virus. It' gets annoying fast when you have to reinstall windows, and without the disc, which I assume the free upgrade does not come with, you can be screwed. Personally these days I use AOEMI backupper, and it works great. But a easier way to create a factory partition would be amazing.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Spoiler:

Got my answer. Thank you!

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
Upgraded 7 to 8.1 and it was so damn good from a general user point of view. The instant search voodoo is so nice. Never had to remember where anything was and can keep a cleaner desktop. It was the best performing OS I had used. I'll probably upgrade if there aren't too many issues. I did the digital upgrade last time and it went off without a hitch. I'll probably wait for a week at least to make sure things are compatible and working nicely.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Largely depends on what you're running now but my general answer is no.

I format and run a clean install on all of my machines every couple of years (mostly to clean out registry bloat and all of the leaks and horseshit that build up over time) and will give W10 a serious look when that time rolls back around but it's generally not a great idea to upgrade to a new OS (regardless of your OS of choice) until they've had time to work out the early kinks.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
No.

I'm a Linux only guy at this point. I used to keep Windows 7 around on a separate partition for gaming but my old PC burned up in my uncle's house fire. When I built my new rig I just said fuck Windows. I have so many consoles and handhelds and games that I don't really care if my PC games don't work in Linux anymore. If they don't work I'll just play something else; it isn't worth the hassle of dual-booting and keeping Windows updated, secure, and maintained. Fuck antivirus programs, fuck defragging, fuck firewalls, and most of all fuck Windows update.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
I've been running windows 10 for the last 6 months or so. Haven't seen any ads, even in the RTM Build that's on my surface.

I dont see any issue with the OS sofar.

Also, asking a forum devoted to a 20 year old console if they're going to accept change and move to the latest and greatest.

Ell oh ell.