neo geo aes CRAZY prices?

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
im just glad i got into the aes when the common games were still selling for cheap. i remember getting 11 new old stock aes games for 250 shipped which helped out my collection alot. Now, those same games are going for 60-100 bucks each!

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
im just glad i got into the aes when the common games were still selling for cheap. i remember getting 11 new old stock aes games for 250 shipped which helped out my collection alot. Now, those same games are going for 60-100 bucks each!

I'm guessing that lot of 11 included like NAM, Blues Journey, Baseball Stars, Super Spy, Alpha Mission II?

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
This new age of gaming just ain't cuttin' it with load times and having to cling on to the internet! That's why RETRO is so popular now imo.
BB
I agree with you. Retro is just plug and play. Turn the power on , press start and you are started in 5 seconds the most. The last generation, PS4 and XBOX One are not successful yet.

Last edited:

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
It's upsetting to know I can never finish my metal slug Collections. It was horrible three years ago let alone now. It is damn near impossible for me to get a Metal Slug 1 US and JP and Metal Slug 2 US with out paying 6k plus for any of them. Unfortunately thats all I'm Missing.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
It's upsetting to know I can never finish my metal slug Collections. It was horrible three years ago let alone now. It is damn near impossible for me to get a Metal Slug 1 US and JP and Metal Slug 2 US with out paying 6k plus for any of them. Unfortunately thats all I'm Missing.

^This. I just need MS1. I'm also still kicking myself for selling my AES Big Tournament Golf all those years ago. It really sucks that the rare carts need provenance to have any confidence in purchasing. At this point my only hope is to stalk the Neo Store and pay Shawn's premium pricing for a legit cart.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
^This. I just need MS1. I'm also still kicking myself for selling my AES Big Tournament Golf all those years ago. It really sucks that the rare carts need provenance to have any confidence in purchasing. At this point my only hope is to stalk the Neo Store and pay Shawn's premium pricing for a legit cart.

Provenance is a nice first screening step but not a guarantee. You need to get a loupe and check yourself - otherwise you can't be sure of what you've bought (and given the prices we're talking about you shouldn't be trusting anyone but yourself).

BTG was the painful one for me to get back (but the most important) - smaller print run than MS1 and also bootlegged almost as much as MS1 - took me two boots and a king's ransom offer that sat for 6+ months before I got it back.

btw, if JP MS1 is now $6k+ then that's, conservatively speaking, a ~50% jump from even two years ago when I was fortunate enough to find mine on these boards. Homecart market doesn't seem to have a ceiling.

Last edited:

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
BTG was the painful one for me to get back (but the most important) - smaller print run than MS1 and also bootlegged almost as much as MS1 - took me two boots and a king's ransom offer that sat for 6+ months before I got it back.

I'm on my second MS1 boot. Hopefully the third time will be a charm. As for BTG...well...that one is gonna hurt. Ima pay at least 10x that what I paid the first time...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Or you could, you know, not buy overpriced games.

Bar81

20 Year Member
I'm on my second MS1 boot. Hopefully the third time will be a charm. As for BTG...well...that one is gonna hurt. Ima pay at least 10x that what I paid the first time...

You must have gotten it pretty cheap then. I paid 5-6x what I sold it for in 04/05 when I got it back this year. I hope you've gotten refunds on the boots. Paypal is almost the only way to roll these days with Neo unless it's an in person deal.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
You must have gotten it pretty cheap then. I paid 5-6x what I sold it for in 04/05 when I got it back this year. I hope you've gotten refunds on the boots. Paypal is almost the only way to roll these days with Neo unless it's an in person deal.

Bought BTG it from Adol for $350 in 2000 or so. Ya, pretty bloody cheap.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I'm guessing that lot of 11 included like NAM, Blues Journey, Baseball Stars, Super Spy, Alpha Mission II?

the following games were nam, blues journey, super spy, alpha mission 2, 3 count bout, super sidekicks 2, ninja combat, sengoku, ghosts pilots, magician lord and riding hero

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I've only been into the Neo Geo for about 6 years now (nothing compared to a lot of you guys). I've always been an SNK fan and always wanted one, but it wasn't until then that I took the plunge and spent what I thought at the time was 'crazy money'. If only I had known, I would have bought everything I wanted back then. Now I have gaps in my collection, like Burning Fight, that I just don't want to pay so much for.

I think part of the problem with Neo Geo is that it's the top end of the retro market. People seems to get into the whole retro thing with something from their childhood that's still relatively cheap, and then a lot of them work their way up to more expensive systems and eventually end up at the Neo Geo. Sadly, people also seem to see it as some kind of status symbol, like their better than other collectors because they have these rare games. You see it a lot on the Neo Geo related FB groups, people posing with multiple copies of a rare game, it really is quite pathetic.

Bar81

20 Year Member
You see it a lot on the Neo Geo related FB groups, people posing with multiple copies of a rare game, it really is quite pathetic.

Yup, there are a lot of sad people that derive a lot of their self "worth" from their Neo collections (this is why Neo has so many collectors with multiple copies of rare games, complete collections, etc. despite the prices). The way I look at it is they're not causing harm to anyone and it's like the zoo for most everyone else - you point and shake your head and move on (although the guys that hoard multiple copies of rare games are dicks since they are keeping others from owning them).

Last edited:

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I think the most expensive games I have on AES are KoF98, Last Blade and Last Blade 2

KoF98 was around $120
Last Blade was $180
Last Blade 2 I traded a modded turbo express for it.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
This is the way it's going with all retro, being a big shmup fan if it wasn't for emulation and mod's i really would struggle to play the best shmups on systems like the saturn, megadrive and ps1.

ScarletSpeedstr

War Room Troll
People seems to get into the whole retro thing with something from their childhood that's still relatively cheap, and then a lot of them work their way up to more expensive systems and eventually end up at the Neo Geo.
That's mostly accurate for myself. I saved all of my systems and games since the 2600. In recent years, I've gone back and purchased the odd game that I never had for NES, SNES, or Sega CD until one day I realized I could finally get that one system that was out of reach as a kid, the Neo Geo. I made the error of going the CD route first, but have since corrected that mistake.

SouthAmericaNeo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I wish that there was a ever drive for the AES. That would be the best for the gamer and not the collector.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
I wish that there was a ever drive for the AES. That would be the best for the gamer and not the collector.

It's only a matter of time. Krikzz said that it would be too cost prohibitive and labor intensive to build a Neo Everdrive. I think what he really means is that he doesn't feel like developing it. His business with more than robust enough with all the other Everdrives that he sells. Even if he doesn't develop it, someone else will. Most likely the Chinese. Perhaps they can perfect the holy grail All-in-1 cart that will surpass the 138/161s out there.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

An ED for the Neo isn't as straight forward as one, or a similar flash cart, for other systems. You want to play Neo on a budget, get an MVS. If you care about gaming, why do you have an AES?