Pretty sure my chassis is shot

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
When I first got my Neo Geo cabinet, it had an intermittent issue that caused the display to intermittently have too much of one color. a quick wiggle of the wires would typically resolve it. After a while, the issue went away for a few months. Then it returned. I would wiggle the RGB connector on the chassis and it would start to display fine again.

Today, it stopped. It now shows too much red and will only properly display the colors if the cable is pulled tight causing pressure to be applied to the connection on the chassis.

I'm thinking about replacing the CRT and chassis with a 27" WG I found locally but i don't think that'll fit in the MVS-4-25 ver. 2 cab. Can anyone confirm this?

I do have a Hantarex 33" chassis I could pull from my project machine. Not sure if that would work :spock:

I'm thinking about just redoing the solder joints on this connector. I'm just digging through my tools trying to find a good screwdriver and alligator clamps to discharge the CRT.

IIt looks like it's a Zenith tube. Not sure what chassis is in there right now. I can't find a model name on it anywhere. Any information is appreciated. Thanks guys.
ab1056f4dc261c6e2b3f5a15232e7921.jpg

fc79f2d5316b204083d49dbcde5f2cff.jpg

605fef0e8b7c1085aa1e836a4ddee3a2.jpg

Last edited:

OldTony

New Challenger
First step resolder all connectors (jamma and monitor cable) if you press on connector and so all colors are ok this can be only a fake soldering point or a circuit track broken closly.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
This sounds like cold solder joint.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
This sounds like cold solder joint.

Either that or the connector is losing force and just loose now breaking the connection. If it is a cold solder joint, make sure you remove all the old solder, don't just add new solder.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thanks guys. I'm picking up a new insulated screwdriver and some solder this afternoon so I can discharge the CRT and pull the chassis so I can reflow that connector.

I'll post a follow-up after the repair has been attempted.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Repair complete. Y'all were right. Really crappy solder points on the RGB connector.
acb3916daccd2885122fa5788f716aeb.jpg

Back up and running!
f0bd77ae044d9a74fefa05dd77db67f7.jpg

OldTony

New Challenger
Well done! Solder points was really crappy, there was cracks all around.