How many Cell phones have you had?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I would have to say about seven or so in the last 10 years. My favorite still is the old Motorola Razr flip phones from back in the day.

Those were really nice phones. My wife had one and we always liked it.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I have no idea. I carried a pager for years before getting a phone. I usually get a new phone every year and a half.

I've only broken one, I normally take care of them.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
if you are going the dumbphone route, just get cricket (which is available in mn) and costs $25/month with unlimited talk/text. at&t owns it so at least you aren't dealing with a crappy network.

Something to consider. They have that at Sears + Target right? That would save us $20/month. I've seen the ads.

He doesn't want to know, he doesn't want anything other than the shittest available choice in every aspect of life, this is what makes him happy.

Cell phones are pushed to shit in the media and they've brainwashed everybody to use expensive shit. It's like PCs in the early 2000s; last month's model is obsolete.

iPod touch + free public wifi FTW.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Jesus Greg, you're actually wasting money attempting to be a cheapass. That plan you have is terrible.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Something to consider. They have that at Sears + Target right? That would save us $20/month. I've seen the ads.

they have their own stores and you can order online too. if you have more than one phone line, they discount it further. call them and fix that travesty of a plan you have.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I started with an Ericsson phone, which has really big, back in like 2001. Then I bought a Samsung slim. Very nice phone, good reception but it did not work with SIM cards, so I had to switch it when SIM cards started to get common here. Then I got Motorola C115, Moto C135, couple of Sony-Ericcssons, then a Nokia. Finally I bit the bullet and bought an iPhone 4s, which was stolen from me at gunpoint. Finally, got my current one, which I've had since 3 years ago, an iPhone 5, and I love the thing. Just replaced its battery, works again as new. Will keep it until it no longer turns on, or it becomes so obsolete it can't connect to the cell network anymore.

Regards.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Cell phones are pushed to shit in the media and they've brainwashed everybody to use expensive shit. It's like PCs in the early 2000s; last month's model is obsolete.

You can buy an entry level smartphone for $50.

You could probably get one second hand for the price of a takeaway.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I've had several since the nintey's. It's come a long way from black and white dot matrix with a green backlight. Ask us how many beepers we had. And how much of a boss it made you feel like. I easily had at least 4.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Up until 2010, not very many at all. Then I started doing phone repair on the side(these days, daily at the computer repair shop I work at). I regularly get people trying to sell me phones(mostly broken) or just flat out abandon them. So I've had over 100 different phones(lots of the same phone of course). As far as how many I'll have at the same time, usually 2 or 3. The rest I end up selling, trading or using for parts.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Greg how many times to you have to tell us you hate smart phones? I don't fancy them myself that much (for many reasons), but I don't create a thread or post about it every month or so. Unfortunately, I have the type of job where it's almost required to have one.

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Greg, your plan is awful, sorry to say. You are paying more than me and getting a lot less, and I'm in Canada! Not to mention, that phone should not have cost you 50$, when you can get a Samsung Galaxy S4 (or equivalent iPhone) for free on contract renewal. You're getting taken for a ride, and your provider won't say anything because they probably can't believe you're willing to pay that outrageous monthly rate. Not trying to shit on you here, just trying to inform. I can understand resisting the advancement of technology, but you are spending more to get less than, more than likely, most of us here. You can still use a smartphone as an MP3 player, get your free wifi, have a better camera, and spend less. You may want to shop around provider-wise; you are spending waaaaaay too much and should have gotten a smartphone without that 50$ credit bullshit that would make the one you got look like that vtech I showed earlier.

More OT, I've only had 4 phones since I got my first in 2002. Had some shitty flip phone, then a Blackberry, then an iPhone 3GS, now an S3. My next phone will be an imported Sharp Aquos phone for sure; those IGZO displays and 4K2K video recording with near as no bezel is the biz!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
GregN: You need to get a Tracfone, bro. $80 per year if you hit up one of their deals and only need like 1800 minutes. Text = 1/3 minute.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
11, I think.

Three Nokia, three Samsung, three BlackBerry, one Sony Ericsson and one from a manufacturer I can't remember. That was the first one. My last three have been BlackBerry phones. I have a Classic right now.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
I've had 3. Got a cheap little phone you had to buy minuets with in 2006. In 2011 I got a nice regular flip phone and two years ago I had to trade it for a really crappy android mini smartphone that loves to be silent and drop calls.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
can't believe you're willing to pay that outrageous monthly rate.

Not really. We never go over the 550 minutes. It's .45/min if we go over (ouch!) We have a landline too (all of this is bundled with 15M internet, Direct TV, Family Share Cell phones, land line). When I'm living at my house, it is my only phone. I call friends a lot when I'm commuting to kill time and we still don't go over the minutes. I'm also lazy and don't like feel like shopping for this shit. Thank you for not flaming me.

And I no longer hate on smartphone users. To each his own. Just thought I'd post my phone and start a discussion. I have friends who have iPhones, and they pay out the ass and get shitty, spotty service with AT+T. I talk to a friend in WI all the time who I don't get to see anymore and he's on AT+T and there's always dropped calls. And smartphones do have some good games on them like the Sqeunix games, and Deathsmiles.

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I probably had two or three dumbphones on contract with VZW. They were all awful junk with gimped firmware, designed to upsell you more garbage from the VZW store.

4 or 5 years ago, I set up a $30/month plan from T-Mobile that has 5GB of HSPA data, 100 minutes of voice (I never call anyone), and unlimited EDGE data and SMS. I've been using it with a second-hand HTC smartphone since then, running an old Cyanogenmod. I'll never go back to contracts or carrier-locked phones.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Greg how many times to you have to tell us you hate smart phones? I don't fancy them myself that much (for many reasons), but I don't create a thread or post about it every month or so. Unfortunately, I have the type of job where it's almost required to have one.

I don't hate them; But if I get one it would HAVE to be an iPhone - no exceptions, and those are expensive as shit. I'm a tight ass on everything but games. I like to keep things simple - and that is the advantage the iPhone has say what you want. And when it's something as important as a computer that I use constantly, I don't mess around. I also have Lenovo ??? running ubunto that i got on cowboom.com. I don't believe in debt. My parents grew up in the great depression, so they how hard it is. My mother taught me how to manage money, keep a budget and live responsibily + my accounting technology degree gives me a business background to understand the flow of money. And I don't believe in debt; I only buy what I can afford, and pay my credit card bill off every month. I've been at the same bank since I was 6. Maybe I should be posting to cheapass gamer and not here. I know all the trendy hipsters like it I was addicted to my iPod touch for years for the apps and used foursquare at Wifi hotspots but gave up on it and lost interest. I play Deathsmiles and last gladiator pinball and rock band on an old model no. 7.1.1 OS I believe that is at its max.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
No lie, I've seen farmers in third world countries with better phones than Greg.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I honestly don't care much about phones either, but you don't have to spend a lot to get a smart phone. My last contract was £8.50 a month for a Moto G, which is a really good value smart phone, which included 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 500MB data. Considering I am nearly always in the range of wifi, the data is sufficient.

I have recently renewed and got an iPhone 4S on the same plan as above for £12.50 a month. It's not the latest model, but it does the same job and works perfectly well for me.

Both of the above phones were free on a 24 month contract. There really is no excuse not to get a smart phone, it can easily be done cheaply if you don't care about having the latest model.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
No lie, I've seen farmers in third world countries with better phones than Greg.

I mean hell I was riding my bike in the countryside a few days ago, saw a farmer hock a loogie, squat, and then whip out an iPhone or some shit.

Fucking farmers in third world countries making $500 a month have better phones than you Greg. Let that sink in.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I remember my phones very well. I was very late to the game in getting a cell phone, and I still have about half of them.

Sony Ericsson T610 - I picked this up in about 2004 as my first phone. Chocoloate bar style phone. Shitty camera, but small and compact.
HTC 8125 - Pocket PC Windows mobile. Slide Keyboard. Decent Camera, but it was kind of bulky. I dont actually remember much about this phone for some reason, but I had it for about a year.
Blackberry Curve - My first work assigned mobile phone. I fell in love with the interface, keyboard, and trackball.
Blackberry Bold - Upgraded work phone. Most likely my favorite phone of all time. Classy leather back, bright screen, and amazing keyboard.
Iphone 3,4,5c - Currently on a 5C as my work phone. The App store is why you use an Iphone. The lack of expandable memory and input devices is infuriating. The reliability and ease-of-use is top tier. It's far more polished than Andriod, but not quite as flexible.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
You should try the keyboard on the Classic if you liked the Bold. It's totally AMAZATRON.