How many Cell phones have you had?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
First one I got in 2008 was a cheap Samsung flip phone. Hinge broke on it, so I traded it up for another flip phone.

Phone #2 wouldn't work with SYNC in my car anymore, even with a firmware update, so I renewed my contract and got this:

r1d502.jpg

It's a gateway drug to a smartphone, with a touch screen interface. Slideout keyboard is better for texting.

Call me crazy, but I don't believe in expensive swiss army knife smartphones. I'd rather save $ and carry around individual gadgets like GPSs, iPod Touches for apps and music, 3DS and Vita for gaming, and digital cameras.

I'm not dissing anyone for using a smartphone, but I just roll differently. I'm surprised Merc has a smartphone - the guy who watches VHS tapes and plays mega drive.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Since 2004 I get new ones every 2 years due to the contracts but I usually keep them in pristine shape. My fave was the small pantech flip phone that fit in the coin pocket of my jeans. Was also one of the first to have an LED flashlight.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
9, none more missed than my StarTAC.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Since 2004 I get new ones every 2 years due to the contracts but I usually keep them in pristine shape. My fave was the small pantech flip phone that fit in the coin pocket of my jeans. Was also one of the first to have an LED flashlight.

That first one I had was great. Very compact and a good pocket fit. The 2nd one was meh. Both were samsung. This one is an LG.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
God dammit, this thread has me roaring with laughter in the middle of the night.

Seriously though, I've had a new phone about every year-and-a-half since 1999, and 1 extra tracphone I used as a throwaway once. Don't ask.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
First one I got in 2008 was a cheap Samsung flip phone. Hinge broke on it, so I traded it up for another flip phone.

Phone #2 wouldn't work with SYNC in my car anymore, even with a firmware update, so I renewed my contract and got this:

r1d502.jpg

It's a gateway drug to a smartphone, with a touch screen interface. Slideout keyboard is better for texting.

Call me crazy, but I don't believe in expensive swiss army knife smartphones. I'd rather save $ and carry around individual gadgets like GPSs, iPod Touches for apps and music, 3DS and Vita for gaming, and digital cameras.

I'm not dissing anyone for using a smartphone, but I just roll differently. I'm surprised Merc has a smartphone - the guy who watches VHS tapes and plays mega drive.

That phone looks like my 1 year old daughter's vtech play phone. Did they give it to you for free on the renewal at least?

81daa18GvtL._SX425_.jpg

Also, speaking of having different devices, you might want to update that digital camera you're using...that's one blurry pic. You know, you would save money getting all these devices rolled into one smartphone, not the other way around; many contract renewals allow you to get pretty up to date phones for free.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Hmm...

-First phone around 1997 was a Nokia 252 analog on a company called 360 Communications. $1/min back then, paid $30/mo for 30 min. Thing was literally an emergency phone.
Bought a red faceplate for it, it looked like this:
SKH-271.jpg

To this day...that phone was one of the best "feeling" phones I have yet to own. Good weight to it. Obviously too big by today's standards but I still like it...

-2000 was a Samsung SGH-800 on Sprint. That plan was 120min/mo for $30...I thought I was a baller at that point.
-Motorola Nextel flip phone around 2003 (first work phone)
-Motorola Nextel i305 around 2004 (work)
-Cheap LG flip on Verizon 2007 (work)
-iPhone 4s on Verizon 2011 (work)
-iPhone 5 on Verizon 2012 (personal)
-iPhone 5s on Verizon 2013 (work, current)

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I only use burners, so... a lot.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I've only had 3, first was a Samsung a610, greatest flip phone ever. They stopped making it cause it didn't break. 2nd phone was a edge IPhone. Then I got what I have now, a iPhone 4S. Ill get a 6+ in oct when my contract is up.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I've never had a cell phone, although I think all of the stuff that you can do with them nowadays is impressive/amazing. I still use a land line. If I did have one, I'd probably just use it as a gaming device more than anything else anyway.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
That phone looks like my 1 year old daughter's vtech play phone. Did they give it to you for free on the renewal at least?

View attachment 27136

Also, speaking of having different devices, you might want to update that digital camera you're using...that's one blurry pic. You know, you would save money getting all these devices rolled into one smartphone, not the other way around; many contract renewals allow you to get pretty up to date phones for free.

Had to pay $50 and renew my 2 year contract. Supposedly I'm getting a $50 debit card gift card but it hasn't shown up in the mail yet. I'm on family share with my Dad; 550 minutes/month (shared) for $70/ month. Free after 9pm and on weekends and to other Verizon customers. As far as texting goes, we pay .20 to send and .10 to receive. It's cheaper to do that than to pay the $10/month for unlimited.

And do you guys believe I was a telecom major lol.

And I know that's a shitty pic; it was taken with bad lighting at night. It's a 10MP Sanyo I got at Wal*Mart like 5 years ago lol.

You know, you would save money getting all these devices rolled into one smartphone, not the other way around;

I doubt it. I'd get an iPhone and those are expensive as fuck.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Had to pay $50 and renew my 2 year contract. Supposedly I'm getting a $50 debit card gift card but it hasn't shown up in the mail yet. I'm on family share with my Dad; 550 minutes/month (shared) for $70/ month. Free after 9pm and on weekends and to other Verizon customers. As far as texting goes, we pay .20 to send and .10 to receive. It's cheaper to do that than to pay the $10/month for unlimited.

that sounds like a plan from 2004.

if you are going the dumbphone route, just get cricket (which is available in mn) and costs $25/month with unlimited talk/text. at&t owns it so at least you aren't dealing with a crappy network.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
that sounds like a plan from 2004.

if you are going the dumbphone route, just get cricket (which is available in mn) and costs $25/month with unlimited talk/text. at&t owns it so at least you aren't dealing with a crappy network.

He doesn't want to know, he doesn't want anything other than the shittest available choice in every aspect of life, this is what makes him happy.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Fuck me....how do people live with less than a smartphone?!?!?

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I've had 6 in the last 15 years. I take pretty good care of my stuff so it lasts. Would have been 5 but my Motorola slvr was stolen at a concert.

But yeah I don't know how anyone wouldn't want a smart phone. I have a friend who is 35 and just recently only got a phone because his dad got it for him for Christmas. And he still lives in his moms basement. I used to get so mad when he would always ask directions anywhere

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Fuck me....how do people live with less than a smartphone?!?!?

Yeah...to me, a smartphone is basically like the internet or buttsecs...once you go down that road, there's no turning back.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I would have to say about seven or so in the last 10 years. My favorite still is the old Motorola Razr flip phones from back in the day.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I personally have no use for a so called smartphone.