Any Lynx gamers here?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Got it when it came out and had an original unit and played the shit out of rampart and APB. Pinball Jam was another fun game. Played it so much I rubbed the paint off the console. The arcade port of Ninja Gaiden was good for its time.

Never played the batman game or Ninja Gaiden III though.

Kinda hard to go back to playing this system though I admit.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Yeah paint will come off the gen 1 Lynx regardless I have found out. I got one from launch and at the time was amazing. When the system tanked I drove all around scooping up any game I could find as toys r us put them down to 2.99 each. Rampart was a favorite of mine, also played a lot slime world in 4 player mode with some friends. I think it could do 6 or 8 though but we were probably the only 4 Lynx owners in town :-) blue Lightning was ok, never got into batman, ninja garden was solid, and I never found a copy lemmings or Tetris (I'm thinking Tetris was just a bootleg). Turning the system for Tate games made complete since and was not uncomfortable at all. I bought a second gen system that had 6 games packed in at Electronics boutique on clearance but ended up like the original system more. I sold that one off in the last year and still have some games for it but not sure if I'll ever be compelled to play it again. Not sure how California games kept my attention for so long but it served it's purpose back then and I don't regret buying it. Especially since most of my games were purchased for 3 bucks and not 30-40 bucks each like the retail prices were then.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I love my Lynx II.

I have the homebrew shooter Zaku in the system right now.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Zaku is freaking great FC. Someone needs to do a screen replacement so I can see the damn thing.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
xybots was amazingly addictive, ninja gaiden ruled, loved chips challenge... dammit now i need another lynx.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Played STUN Runner, Xybots, and Shadow of the beast a lot on my Lynx II...

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I too had one since it came out - the Blue Lightning demo at Toys R Us sold me. I had a Lynx 1 and a couple 2's.

Amazing memories with that system. It was a huge part of my early years. I had a MASSIVE collection I've kept over the years and only recently sold it all. I had enough times busting it out for a go and realizing, I just can't enjoy it the same way any more. Zaku was great though - as mentioned.

I think my greatest hits for the system are:

Ninja Gaiden 3
Awesome Golf [I logged many hours in this]
Bill and Ted
Blue Lightning
Xybots
Hard Drivin [choppy as fuck, but that game was so popular and this was handheld!]
STUN RUNNER

Great system. There's a guy in germany [?] I think who is able to swap out the LCDs now with a new one. It looks incredible.

https://youtu.be/-NQaoRDVGms?t=4m18s

Last edited:

Zangrief

Kula's Candy
Pretty sure Xenophobe was the last Lynx game I bought in its day, but it's the only one now that gives me the INSERT GAME screen.. Ninja Gaiden kicks ass, along with Xenophobe. Scrapyard Dog is a fun romp.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There is indeed a screen replacement, I have yet to order one.

Lynx is an awesome, often overlooked system. I think it has one of the best ratios of good to bad games out there for a retro system. Great version of Rygar too.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I have about 90% of the library. I grabbed a ton when deadstock was flooding the market.
I took a break from collecting, and I missed out on some decent games. Kicking myself for missing Eye of the Beholder. Frame rate is terrible, but it's still neat.

My screen is washed out pretty bad now. It's old. I had a McWill Screen on order, but I backed out when I thought about the library. His conversion screen package is amazing, but it's also laborious to install.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Never actually played a lynx..does it have shit battery life like the game gear?
Worse.

At the time the Game Gear was rated for four to six hours on six AAs while Lynx was three to five.

With modern batteries I tend to get closer to eight on a Game Gear and Lynx though. We've come a long way since 1989 as far as batteries are concerned.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Are people still really playing 20 year old portable systems on the go? Use an AC adapter unless you are, for whatever reason, traveling with an Atari Lynx.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
There's a guy in germany [?] I think who is able to swap out the LCDs now with a new one. It looks incredible.

https://youtu.be/-NQaoRDVGms?t=4m18s

That would be cool to play it on a TV screen kinda makes me want to get another. I had a second gen one but the only game I had for it was Ninja Gaiden.

Hell I wonder if you could hack a controller port on also and essentially make it a console? I would just do away with the screen and use it on a tv only lol.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Wonder if any of our tech guys here could do the VGA out mod on the Lynx? Damn I'm wanting one of these again now. Like to go hardcore and put a DB-9 out if possible for a external controller lol.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I got an AC Adaptor and the end broke off, so I had to keep it on with tape. Got a cheap AC adapter from Radio Shack.
Viking Child was another. They had pit fighter and Klax but the GBA version of pit fighter is the far superior.

Edit: Here's what I have: I have all the boxes for the games in my "box of boxes" collection:

2lvg2v6.jpg

This needs the 3DS Virtual console treatment, along with Neo Pocket.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Looked up Double Dragon and dang! Goes for like $100. Has anybody played it? How does it stack up to the GBA version?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
dvdXploitr loves the Lynx. He should be in this conversation.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Looked up Double Dragon and dang! Goes for like $100. Has anybody played it? How does it stack up to the GBA version?

I had double dragon. Sold all my Lynx collection last year. You can't compare any Lynx game to a gba game, let's be honest. But for Lynx, double dragon is very good and extremely faithful. The sprites are a little on the large side. Once you get used to that its great. $100 great? If you are collecting, yeah. If you just wanna play the Lynx version for gameplay reasons...eh, maybe not.