Dark Souls 3

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
First time I just had to turn this game off, ha - I was fighting an enemy (the last in an area) and hit him off the edge and along I went with him, lol.

Didn't care for the rot tree boss. Just annoying, not fun.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You know...Dark Souls is the only game I've ever played where I can listen to Black Metal and it fits right in, somehow it all comes together...

Blood Fire Death

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
Only played it for two hours yesterday and I'm inching my way forward. Looks and plays good so far.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
My roomates both got it so i'm playing their copy for now until my Gamefly gets here. Then we can go full coop.

I went with Warrior and Life Ring

The first boss got me too. I thought he was gonna do some crazy shit and played too cautious. Whopped him hard the second time.

Game is gorgeous and feels great. Soundtrack kicks ass too so far.
So far lot's of dies for me since i don't know the enemy placement etc.Yeah,started with the hp ring as well.I'm playing it on the PS4 if it is the same for you i wouldn't mind some co-op.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
So ready to finish Dark Souls 1 right now. Just had my first curse experience... fucking 6000 souls to fix. Fuckkk this!!!! Turned off the 360 for the night. At times I really like this game (finished 3 bosses today), then it just gets under your skin with some fucked up shit. I think I am a masochist.

@Electricgrave - I have the PS4 all DLC included version of DS2. More pain and fucked-upness to look forward to after DS1, lol.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Just played a few more hours today. Liking the game a lot so far. Trying to find the zweihander, as I saw some people with it. It was my olde trusty in dark souls one. They said I have to send this npc to steal some stuff, which I did, and eventually he will sell it. I'm getting that damn sword tomorrow. Then dark souls III will truly feel like a dark souls game. Been putting most points in my strength in anticipation.

So far game is great. I'm not feeling like on par with dark souls 1, or demons souls yet, but close. I don't know if anything ever will. They we're just perfect.

I managed to play Co op with my brother. Saved a sweet clip where I got invaded and we both did a parry at the same time on him and did double critical damage. It was fucking epic. I have to find a way to post it here.

So it is possible for two Co op players to parry an invader at the same time and both hit. Thats definitely a new feature.

I might submit it to that YouTube guy that runs weekly videos of the best kills. I think it has potential.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
So far lot's of dies for me since i don't know the enemy placement etc.Yeah,started with the hp ring as well.I'm playing it on the PS4 if it is the same for you i wouldn't mind some co-op.

Yup I'm also on ps4. My tag is Wachenroder.

Is the coop system in this game similar to the other 2 with soul memory and what not?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Go to settings in the menu on DS3 and you can set up a "password" - as I understand the game will try to match you with players that have the same password as you? I guess it makes there sign visible or you have a higher chance to invade them?

I just got the red eye orb heh heh heh...who am I kidding, I only do jolly cooperation.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Just played a few more hours today. Liking the game a lot so far. Trying to find the zweihander, as I saw some people with it. It was my olde trusty in dark souls one. They said I have to send this npc to steal some stuff, which I did, and eventually he will sell it. I'm getting that damn sword tomorrow. Then dark souls III will truly feel like a dark souls game. Been putting most points in my strength in anticipation.

So far game is great. I'm not feeling like on par with dark souls 1, or demons souls yet, but close. I don't know if anything ever will. They we're just perfect.

I managed to play Co op with my brother. Saved a sweet clip where I got invaded and we both did a parry at the same time on him and did double critical damage. It was fucking epic. I have to find a way to post it here.

So it is possible for two Co op players to parry an invader at the same time and both hit. Thats definitely a new feature.

I might submit it to that YouTube guy that runs weekly videos of the best kills. I think it has potential.
Are you on PS4, how about the share function? If so what's your tag...let's be friends!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I made the dragon in the first area go away. Anyone know where it goes?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Are you on PS4, how about the share function? If so what's your tag...let's be friends!

Yep, ps4. I'm jforrest1980

I have the demon avatar from ghosts in goblins.

I'm not sure If I was correct about that doue parry. We both parried, but maybe only one did damage.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I'm not terribly far in to this game (just beat the crystal sage) so my opinion could change BUUUUUTTTT...

I'm finding this game to be the weakest souls game yet. Environments and enemies just aren't doing it for me. Everything just feels so same old. And the game is extremely linear so far.

I'm also not sure what to make of the "faster" game play. Enemies are definitely faster and more aggressive like bloodborne but your character seems to move at the typical souls pace. It adds a new layer of depth I suppose but they promised faster game play and all they really delivered on was faster enemies. So I'm kind of feeling irked by this as well.

I just want to post out that even though this is my least favorite souls game so far, it's still a pretty good game in the grand scheme of things. But with blood borne and ds1 every time I saw a new boss or area I had this kind of awe and would try to figure out how they fit into the story. Even had that in dark souls 2 somewhat. I'm not getting that feeling with th is game though. Everything just feels so generic.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I definitely feel the linear, and environment issues. It is very linear thus far. But I really think they were going for more of a demons souls Nexus feel. Demons souls was pretty linear, but you could choose the stage order to an extent. Thats the feeling I'm getting with this game. I'm about as far as you it sounds like, I just don't think this game has opened up yet.

I feel the environments too. It's like you seen one demon infested woods, or city you've seen them all. Hopefully the scenery changes soon.

Its just really hard to beat the first two games. Everything about the presentation was near perfect.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm digging what I've played so far. I like the progression of this game way more than DS 2.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Yup I'm also on ps4. My tag is Wachenroder.

Is the coop system in this game similar to the other 2 with soul memory and what not?
Yeah it is and as lagduf stated a password system for playing with the player directly.Got to the un-dead settlement recently.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Definitely linear overall but with some branching paths (which eventually reconnect) in each area. Shortcuts exist per area which is nice, but the game clearly isn't interconnected in the way Dark Souls 1 was. But with being able to teleport right off the bat, and having to level up at Firelink I can understand why they did it. Just makes me realize how fucking good that level design was in DS1.

I'm about 16 hours in. Been doing lots of Jolly Co-Operation as I get to each area so I can explore with another player without any real consequences. I really like that you can also engage in co-op when you are unkindled (eh, not sure that's the right word for it...)

I just cleared Cathedral of the Deep. I think I found everything in the actual Cathedral...but undoubtedly I missed something. I'm doing a mostly blind playthrough and I've been watching some Let's Play of Areas I've already beat.

Couple tips/observations:

The CROW does not work the same as in previous games. You drop an item, and if the crow wants it it immediately drops another item (apparently.) I dropped an item that I originally thought you only got once per playthrough (turns out it's twice per playthrough) and then logged off before understanding how it worked. I lost the item I dropped and the item the crow dropped. Oh well.

If you haven't bought a torch I highly suggest doing so. Unless you're a pyromancer, but still - you can light a lot of enemies on fire. And it's pretty cool. Lot of undead are really weak to fire. I've been spamming a lot of firebombs.

Last edited:

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I made the dragon in the first area go away. Anyone know where it goes?

Spoiler:
Might be one of the optional bosses. Or maybe that boss is just another similar looking dragon.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
never played any of this series before but now that I have I wish I had because this is totally my jam

I didn't read anything about it going in but I know generally how the game works based off of all the internetting I do

took me a couple of hours to understand how I should be playing it (started off as a Sorcerer) but once I figured out that you need to break down sections in almost a rhythm-game like pattern of repetition the game started to make a lot more sense and I was dying a lot less

the deep nonsensical lore and dark horrific world is glorious and captivating

I don't think I've ever played a game that so perfectly created its own cryptic universe

the game tells you nothing, expects you to die, and hopes you learn from it

amazing... simply amazing

I know this is obvious to those that have been playing these games for years but it's new and fantastic to me

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
Enjoying it so far, only had enough time to kill 2 bosses so far. I'm kinda torn on how much they reference previous souls games, on one hand it seems lazy and very unlike other souls games except for that jackass that always tricks you.

Spoiler:
But on the other hand I was like yay onion knight when I saw him.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Totally missed an area in the cathedral. Big, confusing area. I've been trying to drop helpful signs.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Definitely linear overall but with some branching paths (which eventually reconnect) in each area. Shortcuts exist per area which is nice, but the game clearly isn't interconnected in the way Dark Souls 1 was. But with being able to teleport right off the bat, and having to level up at Firelink I can understand why they did it. Just makes me realize how fucking good that level design was in DS1.

I'm about 16 hours in. Been doing lots of Jolly Co-Operation as I get to each area so I can explore with another player without any real consequences. I really like that you can also engage in co-op when you are unkindled (eh, not sure that's the right word for it...)

I just cleared Cathedral of the Deep. I think I found everything in the actual Cathedral...but undoubtedly I missed something. I'm doing a mostly blind playthrough and I've been watching some Let's Play of Areas I've already beat.

Couple tips/observations:

The CROW does not work the same as in previous games. You drop an item, and if the crow wants it it immediately drops another item (apparently.) I dropped an item that I originally thought you only got once per playthrough (turns out it's twice per playthrough) and then logged off before understanding how it worked. I lost the item I dropped and the item the crow dropped. Oh well.

If you haven't bought a torch I highly suggest doing so. Unless you're a pyromancer, but still - you can light a lot of enemies on fire. And it's pretty cool. Lot of undead are really weak to fire. I've been spamming a lot of firebombs.

Did you find out how to cross the bridge you raise up by the giant in the swamp pool? I need to figure out how to get back up there. I beat the stage though. Now I need to go explore it some more. Think I found most everything.

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Got this today and I'm only a few hours in. Everything feels nice so far. And the few bosses I've done so far seem pretty easy. Digging everything so far.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
NmX9h6f.gif