Playing JAMMA Games Naomi

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What exactly do you need to do to play jamma boards inside a cab that has a Naomi setup? I would think you just need to remove the jamma harness from the JVS and plug that into your jamma board, is there something else that needs to be done?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
How many different types of Naomis are there?

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
The extra button harnesses I've had for my Naomi cabs have all been 10 pin AMP connectors (even though the connector goes into a 15 pin plug) that plug into the same place under the control panel. http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Naomi_Universal.

Xian Xi is referring to the kick header on the io.

yeah it's a 14 pin JST. supposedly the pinout is different on rev A and B, but I have both and it's the same story, only useful thing on that header is button 6 , you gonna pull 1-5 from the jamma edge.

wonder why the JVS conversion manual says otherwise....

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Ah right, when I saw cab in the title I assumed it was just the under the CP plug/connector for the kick buttons...Don't mind me then.:)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Xian Xi is referring to the kick header on the io.

yeah it's a 14 pin JST. supposedly the pinout is different on rev A and B, but I have both and it's the same story, only useful thing on that header is button 6 , you gonna pull 1-5 from the jamma edge.

wonder why the JVS conversion manual says otherwise....

Oh sweet. A customer wants to use a Pandora in his cab and has no idea on how to do the kick harness. So from what you are saying is that the kick harness is a 14 pin JST connector that pretty much only has pins 4 and 8 populated for the kicks since the other 5 come off the jamma edge? So technically I just need to make him an adapter with the male 14 pin JST header with those two connected to the Pandora adapter and that should plug right in?

Thanks

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Looks like he has a Dynamo cab and not a dedicated one. Am I safe to assume that he most likely has the Capcom I/O board?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Not usually safe to assume much with a NAOMI due to all the IO options and such, but probably either the Capcom IO or one of the sega JVS->JAMMA ones. It looks like the pandora crams all 6 buttons on the JAMMA edge, sacrificing 2 of the ground pins for it (kinda like some chinese clone cabs).

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Looks like he has a Dynamo cab and not a dedicated one. Am I safe to assume that he most likely has the Capcom I/O board?

Safest thing would be to have him send you pics of his setup then post them here

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I know. From some reason he's hesitant which isn't making it easier on me. I'm trying to get him to open his cab up so we can make sure. I guess he thinks that everything is standard and should be easy, it was when it was just JAMMA.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
He sent me pics, the Kick harness is a molex on the JVS 14P but at least I know what I need to make now.

Thanks guys!!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
It depends if the cab is jamma or JVS.

If it's a JAMMA cab with a NAOMI setup then you just pull out the NAOMI and the IO you're using (capcom or sega jamma) and put a jamma board in that motherfucker.

If it's a JVS cab (naomi universal, etc) then you're kinda fucked on JAMMA unless you re-loom the cabinet (francoB loom for example, but he doesn't make them anymore) or find one of the hard-to-find jamma to JVS converters that konami / namco made. I guess the namco ones break a lot. RiverService made one but I've heard it's laggy and I'm not going to shell out $200 to STV's bitch ass to find out.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Edit:

His cab is JAMMA, so he doesn't need anything.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
The only thing is if his monitor is 31khz only or can it do both 15khz and 31khz. If it's 31khz only, then he will need some sort of converter (since most JAMMA games are 15khz).
But otherwise, like fox1 said, his cab is already JAMMA (from the jamma loom in that picture).

Nevermind about the 15/31khz monitor. I believe his monitor does 15khz since he plugs his VGA cable into the Sega I/O, So he should be set to just play JAMMA games normally.

Last edited:

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
It depends if the cab is jamma or JVS.

If it's a JAMMA cab with a NAOMI setup then you just pull out the NAOMI and the IO you're using (capcom or sega jamma) and put a jamma board in that motherfucker.

If it's a JVS cab (naomi universal, etc) then you're kinda fucked on JAMMA unless you re-loom the cabinet (francoB loom for example, but he doesn't make them anymore) or find one of the hard-to-find jamma to JVS converters that konami / namco made. I guess the namco ones break a lot. RiverService made one but I've heard it's laggy and I'm not going to shell out $200 to STV's bitch ass to find out.

RiverService actually makes a wired version that isn't laggy. It's their PCB version that's laggy. Or alberto1225 (Yu-Ting) brother makes a similar JVS to JAMMA wiring that also works. FrancoB makes the best one, but like you said, he doesn't make them anymore.

Last edited: