Any Colecovision fans?

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
Hey guys, was just wondering if any of you are into the Colecovision at all? I never had one growing up (my first system was a Master System) but I've just been discovering this system for the first time recently. I've been having a lot of fun with it , especially considering this system is a couple years older than me. Sure, it's a far cry from Neo Geo as far as graphics and sound are concerned. However, I feel that the Coleco is a great way to experience '80's arcade games at home the same way the Neo is for '90's arcade games. Not arcade perfect of course but still way ahead of other consoles of the time. The games are simple, fun and addictive and the graphics are primitive but still have that old school charm about them.

Probably the worst thing about the system is it's controllers but I've found some ways around this. I've found that some of the games(mostly the shmups) work well with the Sega Master System controllers. I also just received some modded Coleco controllers with ball tops and straightened cords. These have been working quite nicely. I've been playing it all day. Some of my favorite games are Bump n Jump, Pepper 2, Time Pilot, Mr. Do, Gorf and Antarctic adventure. How about you guys?

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
The controllers suck. I've been meaning to ball-top mod them, but I just haven't had the time. The games themselves aren't bad, but it's been a blessing to get some awesome homebrews and ports from MSX by TeamPixelboy and OpCode Games.

Here's what I have:

Antarctic Adventure
B.C. Quest for Tires
Bump ‘n’ Jump
Congo Bongo
Cosmic Avenger
Frogger 2: Threeedeep!
Defender
Girl’s Garden
Gorf
Gulkave
Illusions
Jungle Hunt
King’s Valley
Lady Bug
Mecha-8
Miner 2049er
Module Man
Montezuma’s Revenge
Moon Patrol
Mouse Trap
Mr. Do
Ninja Princess
Q*Bert
Pepper II
Slither
Smurf Rescue in Gargamel’s Castle
Space Panic
Tapper
Tutankham
Venture

King's Valley and Mecha-8 are pre-purchased, but they'll be sent in September.

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
The Colecovision was the first video game console I ever played and B.C. Quest for Tires was the first video game I ever played...on an old black and white TV at the time too so I've actually never seen any of those games in color before. I considered looking into finding one for purchase but then I bought a Neo Geo instead and now I'm broke.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
FUCK YEAH

I have an AV modded Colecovision and I love it.

GORFians take no prisoners. Remember that.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Colecovision was the first game system I ever had, but Donkey Kong was the only game I had for it. I eventually threw the controller down in frustration, breaking it, and my dad threw the whole system away. Dammit.

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
The controllers suck. I've been meaning to ball-top mod them, but I just haven't had the time. The games themselves aren't bad, but it's been a blessing to get some awesome homebrews and ports from MSX by TeamPixelboy and OpCode Games.

I found out about the Coleco homebrew scene rather late through the Colecovision flashback. Of the games on there the ones I enjoyed most were Princess Quest and Mecha 8. It's amazing what they can do with the hardware these days. Those two games could easily be Nes games. I'd like to check out some of the other ones I've heard about like Space Invaders Collection and the Pac Man one but unfortunately they all seem pretty hard to come by these days.

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
The Colecovision was the first video game console I ever played and B.C. Quest for Tires was the first video game I ever played...on an old black and white TV at the time too so I've actually never seen any of those games in color before. I considered looking into finding one for purchase but then I bought a Neo Geo instead and now I'm broke.

Haha I feel your pain. For awhile I was buying various games and accessories for the Coleco, Nes and other systems but now that I've been getting into Neo Geo that's going to consume most of my spending money. In the future if you are looking for one, I would recommend talking to a guy named Yurkie on the Atariage forums. He sells Colecovisions that have been modded for av, rgb and have a pause button for every game. They are completely refurbished and include better, modded controllers. It's obviously more expensive than a regular, old one but might be your best bet since it's pretty tough to find an old one with no problems these days.

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
Haha I feel your pain. For awhile I was buying various games and accessories for the Coleco, Nes and other systems but now that I've been getting into Neo Geo that's going to consume most of my spending money. In the future if you are looking for one, I would recommend talking to a guy named Yurkie on the Atariage forums. He sells Colecovisions that have been modded for av, rgb and have a pause button for every game. They are completely refurbished and include better, modded controllers. It's obviously more expensive than a regular, old one but might be your best bet since it's pretty tough to find an old one with no problems these days.

Thanks for the referral. I don't know about getting a Colecovision anytime soon though. Reasons I might would be for nostalgia, but I actually only have extremely vague memories of playing the system, or for completionism to own every system I ever encountered in my personal console gaming history, but then I'd have to find a Famicom system and maybe a TurboGrafx-16 too.

However, the thought of connecting a modded Colecovision outputing RGB is very entertaining to me. It's like when I got my S-video modded Atari 2600 to output through the framemeister -- I was playing Adventure and my character had right angles so sharp that I noticed my TV stand was slightly tilted.

Last edited:

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
As much as I enjoy the Coleco , given the choice I would (and did) get a TurboGrafx first. Hard to compare the two but TurboGrafx is one of my favorite systems ever. Top 3 at least. They are also often modded for Rgb and will make better use of it.

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
As much as I enjoy the Coleco , given the choice I would (and did) get a TurboGrafx first. Hard to compare the two but TurboGrafx is one of my favorite systems ever. Top 3 at least. They are also often modded for Rgb and will make better use of it.

That's exactly what I like to do. Get myself a TurboGrafx and mod it for RGB. And better yet, get a TurboCD addon for it too. That was my introduction to CD-based gaming, which at that time was just regular gaming but superior music, which doesn't sound like much (no pun intended), but it really blew my mind at the time.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Controllers are utter garbage, but at the time it had some of the best arcade ports. Kind of like the Atari 5200...though the 5200's controllers are much worse than the Coleco's.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Some time ago I picked up a Y cable for Atari 2600 and use that with the colecovision and a standard 3 button Genesis pad. This lets me use the colecovision controller for the numeric pad needed to start a lot of the games, while using a better overall controller.

I like the Colecovision for what it is, the games are mostly focused around arcade ports but they're good for their era ports.