Ikea Kallax Shelving On Sale

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I know a lot of folks like to display and store their consoles on these Kallax shelving units so here is a heads-up that they are currently on sale (through July 28, in certain colors.)

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50305739/#/60275812

I picked up my first set today and am really happy with how they turned out. I have limited space and these 30" x 30" units make nice with four consoles.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up, good buddy! I need a couple of these for the new crib.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Do you guys get the ikea in store restaurant with the meatballs, weird gravy and lingonberry sauce over there?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Do you guys get the ikea in store restaurant with the meatballs, weird gravy and lingonberry sauce over there?

yes, but we usually ask for the 'horse free" menu.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Best horse balls ever. ;) I've been secretly wanting a set of these, and a sale might be enough to get me to drive the hour to Ikea.

How much weight can these handle? Will I awake to a game room disaster if I stack a 20" PVM on these?

Last edited:

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Also a nice storage solution for vinyl / laserdiscs. I have a few of the older version, the 'expedit' and they are worth the money.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
It looks like in the majority of colors and sizes they are 15% off.

How much weight can these handle? Will I awake to a game room disaster if I stack a 20" PVM on these?

I am debating the same thing actually. The size I got is listed as
"Max load/shelf: 29 lb
Max. load/wall cabinet: 44 lb 1 oz"

I think my 19" PVM is somewhere in the neighborhood of sixty pounds according to the manual. Still might give it a shot.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Dat bitch felt closer to 100, when I picked her up, lol.

One time, I had a Blarhgth or some tripped out named Media bench. Rated for 50lbs, held the PVM for two years, no sag.

-Protip IKEA breakfast roolz, and IKEA Family members get am additional 15% off.

gusmoney

10 Year Member

Honestly, I was shocked when I read it was only 60lbs. Thing is a bitch to maneuver.

I need to take the ikea challenge I am thinking.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
The rated load in US is much lower because they know that the fat morons that inhabit this neck of the woods will always try to climb it .. break their head and sue after that.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

One time, I had a Blarhgth or some tripped out named Media bench. Rated for 50lbs, held the PVM for two years, no sag.

-Protip IKEA breakfast roolz, and IKEA Family members get am additional 15% off.

the item was already marked down from $35 to $30 though! Damn.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
IKEA family program is free and you get free coffee :) I love about 10min from an IKEA and occasionally stop in just fr the food. For the price its not bad

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
People also love to use these to store their vinyl. Thing is, these shelves are supposed to be oriented a certain way, and when people have them flipped 90 degrees, their ability to bear a load becomes much less. There's pics on the web of these things collapsing under the load of people's record collections because they didn't install the shelf properly. Based on my experience with them, I think they can handle way over 44 pounds. If that's a concern though, you could always get a pair of 2x1's instead of the 2x2, because then they could bear a lot more weight.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Im thinking of getting the 8 shelf version. Using it horizontally to hold a 20" pvm, 20" HD monitor,ps3,ps4,wiiu on the top. The shelfs will me used for my other consoles. I wonder if it can handle that weight.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Im thinking of getting the 8 shelf version. Using it horizontally to hold a 20" pvm, 20" HD monitor,ps3,ps4,wiiu on the top. The shelfs will me used for my other consoles. I wonder if it can handle that weight.

If I were doing that, I would get two 4 shelf units and put them together. That's going to be way stronger.

Just my 0.02.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Damn thanks for the heads up that's a good price and would work great for my small space.

The one in MN is near the Mall of America, which is near my old apartment.

And I always get the meatballs and mac & Cheese.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
Here is a shot of what I entitle: PVM v. Ikea.

j5I11Dk.jpg

Hopefully no bumps in the night --it seems to be holding the load.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Best horse balls ever. ;) I've been secretly wanting a set of these, and a sale might be enough to get me to drive the hour to Ikea.

Well, it's not a secret anymore that you've been wanting a set of horse balls and are willing to drive an hour to Ikea to get them. Please let us know if it was worth the drive.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Well, it's not a secret anymore that you've been wanting a set of horse balls and are willing to drive an hour to Ikea to get them. Please let us know if it was worth the drive.

Those Swedes make them the best my friend.

After Google-ing horrific photos of collapsed shelves full of records, I think I'll wait on these a bit. I love the look of them, but I don't want to risk utter destruction. I'd love to set up both my 20" PVMs side by side, but I'll keep searching for a sturdier shelf for my peace of mind. I hope these work out for you guys!

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
You can just have another kid. They don't exactly sell PVMs down at the corner store.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
Bump!

Was at Ikea today to get some storage bins and I found these Kallax accessory baskets.

If you have consoles sitting at the base of a Kallax cube, these do a nice job of creating some storage in an otherwise dead space. I've put controllers and cartridges above my consoles with the two baskets I bought today.

Install is a snap. The baskets run $10 each.

Last edited: