Neo Turf Masters - Bad sound

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
hey all, I sold a NTM to aha2940 and when he got it, it's having sound issues:

Any idea what could be causing this? It worked properly when I got it and played through it earlier this year.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Most likely dirty slot. The average CMVS/MVS owner rarely clean their slots. I clean mine every week.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
What if the cart slots are clean, and the game cart itself is spotless, and there is still squealing noises and such? could it be a bad rom?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What if the cart slots are clean, and the game cart itself is spotless, and there is still squealing noises and such? could it be a bad rom?

If it's squealing then it's usually the PCM going bad.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
If it's squealing then it's usually the PCM going bad.

I cleaned both, the cart and the slots. I even tried with three different systems (2MVS, 1 AES+converter) and the issue is the exact same with all systems. I do not know what to do, if the issue is the PCM, that is beyond my soldering skills, and I do not have a replacement PCM. If the issue is one of the ROM chips, I can burn an EPROM and replace it...any way to know for sure?

Also, many thanks to Lemony for starting this thread, I was pretty busy these days.

Thanks for any help guys, I really want this cart to work.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I cleaned both, the cart and the slots. I even tried with three different systems (2MVS, 1 AES+converter) and the issue is the exact same with all systems. I do not know what to do, if the issue is the PCM, that is beyond my soldering skills, and I do not have a replacement PCM. If the issue is one of the ROM chips, I can burn an EPROM and replace it...any way to know for sure?

Also, many thanks to Lemony for starting this thread, I was pretty busy these days.

Thanks for any help guys, I really want this cart to work.

If you have the ability to burn and replace, you can pull the V roms and verify them. If they are verified then it's most likely the PCM. Every time I've had squealing sounds it's always been the PCM.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
If you have the ability to burn and replace, you can pull the V roms and verify them. If they are verified then it's most likely the PCM. Every time I've had squealing sounds it's always been the PCM.

Thanks James. I'll do that. It's not like I'm gonna return the cart to Lemony or anything, I want it fixed and want to play it, damn it!

Here goes me, hoping it's not the PCM.

THanks!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thanks James. I'll do that. It's not like I'm gonna return the cart to Lemony or anything, I want it fixed and want to play it, damn it!

Here goes me, hoping it's not the PCM.

THanks!

If you have a spare PROG board lying around you can just swap the roms over to the new one also. Most people use chipquik to desolder the PCM and transfer in another one.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I think I have some prog board, but will have to wait to replace the tip on my solderin iron. It seems I do not care for it well enough, I seem to have to replace it every few months. Any tip on how to care for them, appreciated.

Thanks!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think I have some prog board, but will have to wait to replace the tip on my solderin iron. It seems I do not care for it well enough, I seem to have to replace it every few months. Any tip on how to care for them, appreciated.

Thanks!

Make sure your heat isn't set too high, lower the temp when you aren't using it but will be using it within 30 minutes. Mine is initially set at 700F and when I'm not using it I drop it to 200F to keep it warm. Also when it's not in use, make sure you tin the tip with some solder, don't leave it heating without solder.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hey guys

Just to give closure to this thread, I fixed the cart by replacing the V1 ROM. What I did to diagnose was desolder the V1 rom and tested it against the MAME rom. It failed. To be sure it wasn't a problem with my EPROM reader, I desoldered V2 and tested it, it went fine. After this, I concluded V1 had some issue and after replacing it with an EPROM, the cart works fine.

Thanks!!

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Xian Xi, saving neo geo carts since 2005 :buttrock:

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Most likely dirty slot. The average CMVS/MVS owner rarely clean their slots. I clean mine every week.

The OCD is strong in this one ;)

I clean mine every... never.
But I clean my cart contacts to a mirror shine. I figure the slots are only gonna collect dirt from the carts.