UniBIOS black screen issue / board repair WIP

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Got an MV-1B I'm trying to revive, replaced the Backup RAMs, the 74HC32 and D4990, also reflowed the WRAM chips. It boots to stuck on green error with original BIOS. I can't ever seem to get past the stuck on green issue on MVS boards. Original BIOS doesn't report any other errors.

I tried a UniBIOS 3.2 with NeoBiosMasta adapter. Sometimes it says Backup RAM error, but 90% of the time the MVS board turns on to a black screen, with a flickering pixel or two. If I flip all hard dips on, it says Work RAM Test, sits there forever.

Is this a problem with the UniBIOS or the MVS board?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Did you try the diagnostics BIOS? also, stuck on green usually means calendar error, but I think you already know that. Did you check the crystal that is around the backup area?

Regards.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
My EPROM burner doesn't support 16-bit EPROMs, so no I haven't tried a Diagnostic BIOS. I was under the impression the UniBIOS skips calendar errors. I wanted to see if this MVS board is even working past that error.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It skips only Z80 errors iirc. Did you need me to burn you a D-bios?

If the BRAM, WRAM, D4990, Crystal, LS/HC32 and the Q1(?) transistor have all been replaced that only leaves the F0(if the MV1B has one).

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Well it's possible my 32.768KHz crystals aren't any good. If I were to buy a Diag BIOS from you, you got any good crystals on hand too?

Where would the Q1 transistor be? The battery-marked area is very simplistic on the MV-1B.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Well it's possible my 32.768KHz crystals aren't any good. If I were to buy a Diag BIOS from you, you got any good crystals on hand too?

Where would the Q1 transistor be? The battery-marked area is very simplistic on the MV-1B.

I should have some, I remember buying some when I was fixing MV1Cs. As for the transistor, it's the one that controls the /CE line on the BRAM. If there is a transistor in the area and the output is tied to those pins then that's the one.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Ah okay I see it now, on the solder side of the PCB. How does one tell if it's bad? What sort of transistor should I replace it with?