Homemade Holo Labels

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I came across this Pipilio holographic adhesive film and took a shot at making some holo-style labels. The paper is about $3.00 after shipping (though you'll have to request USPS 1st class from customer service).

The labels do look like some kind of genuine product that once existed, but the black print came out somewhat faint. I'm not sure if the surface didn't take as much toner as normal glossy paper or if the shop was running low on toner. I also had them laminated, which bubbled a bit.

Here are some pictures, and a modified label template w/SNK watermarks to take advantage of the material. It was hard to photograph the effect, but they look like the back of a CD. I also did a "Turbo" sticker for MS2 with the slowdown reduction patch. Those templates are here.
_DSC0690.jpg_DSC0686.jpg_DSC0682.jpg_DSC0693.jpg_DSC0697.jpg
161-in-1 Neo Geo Label - Original MVS Cart - Mod 3.png

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Looks really slick! A gif of you moving it would be cool...

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I applied the Shock Troopers mock-holo today, and inlaid an arrow on the front of the 161. The 161 actually looks really nice now.

I've given up on trying to capture how good these look in pictures though, it's impossible to show the holo surface effect on a 2D display. All of the smaller text and lines appear to float on the surface, and the SNK watermark is stunning. The serials look like they were stamped on. If only they had printed more consistently...

_DSC0787.jpg
_DSC0793.jpg
_DSC0791.jpg
_DSC0788.jpg
_DSC0796.jpg

Last edited:

sparksterz

Camel Slug
That's pretty neat! Does it make the entire surface holographic? Or just the snk logo area?

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Anything that is fine and black (text, lines) seem to rise above the surface. The SNK watermarks are part of the effect, since they appear to lie beneath the printed surface. Basically it looks like everything was stamped individually on a reflective label.

Last edited:

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I love that these look professional but yet completely different than anything official. Nice job!

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
Awesome job! I wonder how it looks when you combine the holo look with the custom image labels that some members are creating?

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I love that these look professional but yet completely different than anything official. Nice job!
That is what I'm going for since the only carts that I'm replacing labels on are either unlicensed (multi-carts) or boots (Shock Troopers, MS5).

Awesome job! I wonder how it looks when you combine the holo look with the custom image labels that some members are creating?
I think the key is considering that the layering of transparent elements produces the best results. Most label designs would need a slight tweaking to really set them off.

My next batch will be in color, and I'm going to make sure that the printers use a high-DPI to see if it will improve the result. MS5 is up next, and I'll see if I can improve the others just for the hell of it.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
These look great! Like you, I would use these on the multis and boots, but also on the carts I have with torn, missing, or already fake labels.