Windjammers with glitchy character sprites

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Hey all, I received a jammies cart but I'm having some issues with lines through many of the sprites. I have cleaned the cart edge very well. I tried swapping parts with another windjammers cart and determined the problem is on the CHR board. I examined it and see a couple traces with some exposed copper where they make contact with the case but they don't look bad or cut but I haven't checked them for continuity yet.
I have some tools I can use to trouble shoot this but I need some advice on where to look or if there's some utilities I can use to test the cart.
I have a Rom programmer, hakko desoldering iron and a logic probe I can use but I am not sure where to look on a neo cart.
Here's some pics. Any advice would be apreciated
EJyBlRx.jpg

n8ZOROu.jpg

7BUAhWn.jpg

OldTony

New Challenger
First of all I suggest you to check all traces on CHR board with an ohm meter to be sure are ok. Then if are all good you can watch ahead.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
1. Look for a bad solder joint: Look for cold solder joints on the graphics roms.

2. Look for a bad trace: Use the Ohms (best) or diode test to verify the traces from the graphics roms.

http://mvs.gotwalls.com/index.php/Windjammers

3. Look for a bad gfx rom: De-solder the gfx roms, dld the rom files from mame, and verify the gfx roms with the programmer.

If you find something bad along the way, stop and fix it, then re-test the cart.

Last edited:

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Does anyone know what chip to set a programmer at to read MVS mask roms?

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
It depends on the chips size. Windjammers would be 27C800 for the C Roms.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Thanks for the advice guys, I reflowed the rom chips with a little flux and fresh solder and it fixed the problem