SNES Mini Rgb mod

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Did some more thinking on this I instead of modding the console I will just mod one of my scart switches with a 9 or 12V PSU and a DPDT switch for pins 8 and 16. One side of the switch - simple passthrough, the other side - 9 / 12 V going to Pin 8 with the appropriate resistor (e.g. 330ohm) to pin 16. Simpler in the long run since I won't have to deal with this bullshit on a console by console basis going forward.

Good idea on modding the scart switch.

I modded one of mine with a built in lm1881 sync stripper to avoid having to install them in problematic console's scart cables

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Good idea on modding the scart switch.

I modded one of mine with a built in lm1881 sync stripper to avoid having to install them in problematic console's scart cables

Sync stripper mod in the 5 slot Bandridge was cool, at some point I am thinking of getting all these scart switch mods together into one unit - definitely saves time and hassle.

In the meantime, I went ahead and modded the SNES for the 4:3 aspect ratio switch anyway. Basically, I left the +5V on the AV connector as it was and run 9V to one of the S-video pins on the AV connector (I chose Luma) since in the SNES Mini these are also unconnected. So basically a separate 5V and 9V line (the 5V going through a 180ohm resistor located in the cable). On the SNES Mini side the mod was as simple as it gets, but it took me a lot of time on the cable side i.e. basically making the cable from scratch. I was lucky enough to have a fully populated SNES connector from a playasia cable, which I used. I decided on running my audio in a separate shielded cable outside the scart cable from the SNES connector to the scart plug, wired all the grounds, added the caps etc. - happy to say the whole thing is working fine. As for the opened SNES connector, once I ascertained all was good I put some hot glue inside and put some heavy stuff on top - hopefully that will keep it shut.

PS. If anybody is in the market for a good professionally (hand) made NTSC SNES scart cable I would recommend those offered by a guy on ebay going under the name 'gamekingno1' (really modest, I know :D). I bought one of these with Csync (he also has cvideo ones if anybody wants those) - these are based on premium quality Bandridge coaxial scart cables and the picture and audio performance is excellent. Only bummer was that his snes connector plug is not fully populated - only has the required pins and its a different design to the play asia / OEM Nintendo one and he also uses hot glue on the snes connector side to seal everything up so this would make any potential modding of the cable pretty difficult.

Last edited:

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
PS. If anybody is in the market for a good professionally (hand) made NTSC SNES scart cable I would recommend those offered by a guy on ebay going under the name 'gamekingno1' (really modest, I know :D).
Those cables are incredible. I just ordered the shielded/grounded SNES 8ft c-sync cable. Thanks for the lead!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
There's always the dc to dc converters that convert 5v to 9-12v. You can just put them in the cable itself.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I ordered this 5v to 9v DC-DC converter and am going to add it to my Scart/Component converter with a switch for 5v/9v ratio control. It's a bit more expensive at $4, but is a strict 9V output.

$_12.JPG

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I ordered this 5v to 9v DC-DC converter and am going to add it to my Scart/Component converter with a switch for 5v/9v ratio control. It's a bit more expensive at $4, but is a strict 9V output.

View attachment 27632

I think you will be allright with either this or the convertor Xian Xi posted. I have once tried a small and simple buck convertor in the scart plug hood (actually posted this on the forums some time ago) and had bad experiences - while it did work, the convertor also gave quite a big ripple which was visible on the picture. That however was just a bare buck convertor without the caps and other components which the convertors posted in this thread have. Either that, or the convertor being situated in the scart plug hood was too close to the video lines and was interfering with the picture.
That said I think that since the 9V / 10V is already in the console it kind of seems redundant to add more components just to achieve the same effect you can achieve by rewiring the AV connector.
BTW if you are thinking of adding that convertor to the cable made by gamekingno1 this may be difficult since from what I have managed to ascertain, the hood of his cable is a factory molded Bandrige plug - you would have to cut it open somehow. If I am not mistaken he actually puts all components in the snes connector part of the cable, using tiny smd caps etc. There is also a 180ohm resistor there to give a step down from 5V on pin 8 to c.a 3V for pin 16. Since the whole deal is covered in hot glue it would make any alterations pretty difficult.

Last edited:

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I'm adding it to my converter box so I can have the option across all consoles. This saves from having to custom wire 9V through every scart cable.

I requested a Genesis 2 Scart cable from gamekingno1 and he made this. Pretty impressive.