Would you fund a kick starter for SNKP?

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
I know people are heated about the shenmue3/sony kickstarter but if SNKP did one and it was for a game we wanted, would you still fund it? I'd love a kof14 or garou 2 kick starter.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Would definitely be in on funding another garou or a samurai spirits game

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
Would be worth funding, und the right circumstances.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I personally am against funding through the Kickstarter model. It's neither a charity nor an investment, so it just doesn't make sense to me.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
No, I would not fund them. SNKP sucks ass. If I saw them panhandling on KS I'd immediately look the other way.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
It would depend on how they plan to release it. If they were to actually release a new MVS/AES/NGCD title, then yes. They know the hardware and how to best take advantage of it so I'm sure that whatever they release would look amazing.
If it was for current gen consoles, I would be hesitant. Could go either way.

If it was for iOS/Android then absolutely not.

Reaperman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'd readily back a kickstarter for a ton of things. Granted that 'ton of things' are all wishful thinking that would never happen:
  • Neo geo on a chip. An ASIC to go into arcade hardware, consoles, even plug-and-plays. Or for that matter, pretty much any type of neo compatible hardware that's not just software emulation.
  • Android powered jamma/hdmi board designed to upgrade MVS systems with new games or populate new HD cabs. Since they insist on doing goddamn android development anyway. Maybe come up with a storefront for it, or a percentage-based subscription plan for the three arcade owners still out there.
  • All new USB arcade sticks with a cable or socket for neo geo use. Perhaps a design with standard arcade hardware inside.
  • New or republished AES/MVS games. (perhaps a cart that works on both)

The most likely things to get kickstarted would be more fighting sequels (ff/kof/ss/whatever) for modern consoles/pc. I might go for that during a steam sale three years after it comes out, but I'm sure not interested enough to back it.

Last edited:

StaticX

15 Year Member
Well if it was a new aes/mvs/cd game or a sequel to like one of their own games I wouldn't mind. But yeah, the whole cellphone game would totally turn me off.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
...if they were to actually release a new MVS/AES/NGCD title, then yes. They know the hardware and how to best take advantage of it...

Uh...say what???
I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of the programming, designing, & manufacturing staff that made the games that ran on neogeo hardware are long gone & either moved on to other companies & other platforms, or changed careers, or retired. So the SNK we knew & loved is DEAD & any young rookie half ass current employees of whatever rag tag remnince is left of the company would be incapable of bringing anything of any interest or value to the table.

Better to use a kick starter to gather enough funds for them to track down and release one of the remaining 13 games that we know would be better as well as more original & true to the hardware. That would be my dream.

Thunderblaze16

New Challenger
I have to yet to fund any kind of Kickstarter with Mighty 9 being a very close temptation but throw me a new shoot em up and I'll consider it, something I have yet to see on a Kickstarter.

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
No, I would not fund them. SNKP sucks ass. If I saw them panhandling on KS I'd immediately look the other way.

I feel similarly. I've been consistently disappointed with everything SNKP has put out. The best thing I even bought from them was NeoGeo Station games on PS3. And even that was kind of disappointing, especially with them not really releasing anything after the initial batch of games.

And then there's Neo Geo X...that was a poor investment on my part. And I was foolish enough to go back for the Mega Pack.

If SNKP decides to run a kickstarter, they'd have an uphill battle to convince me.

Last edited:

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
If its a nextgen title, then yes. But knowing snk, they would just keep all the cash they got from the kickstarter.

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
There is no way that they would cater to outdated systems..

There would be no mvs, cd, or aes cartridge...

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
They will never, ever, ever produce another MVS/AES/NGCD game. Ever. Forever. Until the end of time. I'm amazed that there are still folks out there that think that's a possibility.

As for a Kickstarter, I would support it if it meant releasing a quality game. However, with all the money they've made from their mobile and pachislot business, they shouldn't need it.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Fuck no...as others have mentioned SNKP is a terrible company. They would definitely fuck it up, Im amazed they havent gone under.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Kickstarter is bullshit. Make the fucking game, if you do a good job it'll do well, always and forever; You get what you give.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Exactly, if the demand is there they shouldnt need a kickstarter. I mean if that many people are interested, they could just go to a bank and say "hey look how many people are willing to buy this game, give us some fucking money so we can make it!" . Giving money to a company so they can sell you something doesnt seem right.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
They would probably pull some bullcrap like trying to fund a damn cell phone game.

StaticX

15 Year Member
Exactly, if the demand is there they shouldnt need a kickstarter. I mean if that many people are interested, they could just go to a bank and say "hey look how many people are willing to buy this game, give us some fucking money so we can make it!" . Giving money to a company so they can sell you something doesnt seem right.

Cool, well that wasn't the case with Shenmue for 14 years now was it?