Monitors for Atomiswave (LCD, CRT) ???

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
So I got a great deal on a Sammy Atomisave and some games from SNK416 and I want to start getting the other components I'll need.

I'd love to get a tri-sync CRT but they are super expensive new (http://shop.xgaming.com/products/tri-mode-crt-arcade-monitor) and hard to find used here in Canada.

When I discovered the shyntek (http://www.beharbros.com/#!shyntek/czj5) I started thinking that maybe a modern Monitor or TV might actual be a good option since the shyntek will help resolve sync issues and it can also add scan lines.
Has anyone here used the shyntek? What do you think of it?

Does anyone have any recommendations of what Monitor I should be looking for?
Since a modern Monitor will be 16:9 instead of 4:3 what size should I get if I want the usable area to feel like a 25" (or maybe 27") 4:3?

Any other considerations for the Atomiswave?

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
So I got a great deal on a Sammy Atomisave and some games from SNK416 and I want to start getting the other components I'll need.

I'd love to get a tri-sync CRT but they are super expensive new (http://shop.xgaming.com/products/tri-mode-crt-arcade-monitor) and hard to find used here in Canada.

When I discovered the shyntek (http://www.beharbros.com/#!shyntek/czj5) I started thinking that maybe a modern Monitor or TV might actual be a good option since the shyntek will help resolve sync issues and it can also add scan lines.
Has anyone here used the shyntek? What do you think of it?

Does anyone have any recommendations of what Monitor I should be looking for?
Since a modern Monitor will be 16:9 instead of 4:3 what size should I get if I want the usable area to feel like a 25" (or maybe 27") 4:3?

Any other considerations for the Atomiswave?

I have never used the shyntek, so I cannot comment on it. But if you want to use a LCD screen (why would you), the biggest you can use is a 26 inch. You can use any flat CRT in the Atomiswave cab and it will fit the bezel correct, so I suggest you try doing that first. If you can't find a flat CRT, then a curve CRT is your next best option, but the bezel won't fit properly without modification.

Last edited:

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I don't have a cabinet. Just the Atomiswave mother board and some games. I was planning on buying a monitor and making a joystick control panel or maybe a super gun. Once I have the gear working I think I'd want to make my own cabinet.

I would love to be able to buy a cabinet that's ready to go but they are hard to find where I am.

I thought the advice I'd get might include 'try harder and find a CRT'. :) I'll keep looking while I consider what to do.

Thanks for the advice 300wins!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I don't have a cabinet. Just the Atomiswave mother board and some games. I was planning on buying a monitor and making a joystick control panel or maybe a super gun. Once I have the gear working I think I'd want to make my own cabinet.

I would love to be able to buy a cabinet that's ready to go but they are hard to find where I am.

I thought the advice I'd get might include 'try harder and find a CRT'. :) I'll keep looking while I consider what to do.

Thanks for the advice 300wins!

If you cannot find a CRT, then get an LCD with VGA input. I think any computer monitor will do. The Atomiswave has a nice VGA output, IMHO it looks very pretty on my Samsung TVs.

Regards.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Not all LCDs work with atomiswave via VGA. Talking from experience, all CRT VGA monitors do.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Not all LCDs work with atomiswave via VGA. Talking from experience, all CRT VGA monitors do.

I did not know this. Guess I'm just lucky, all three LCDs with VGA I've tried, a Sony and two Samsungs, work fine with it.

Regards.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, the AW only outputs composite sync, most newer monitors will only work with a separate horizontal and vertical sync. The Shyntek mentioned above is a sync splitter, basically.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
OK, all this sounds promising. I do have an older 50" Samsung DLP with a VGA port. I'll try it out.
My Dreamcast with the VGA adapter does not seem to work on this Samsung but maybe the Atomiswave will. And maybe the shyntek (http://www.beharbros.com/#!shyntek/czj5) will make the difference if it doesn't.

I still have to buy a power supply, jamma harness and kick harness.

Any recommendations where to get those?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I still have to buy a power supply, jamma harness and kick harness.

Any recommendations where to get those?

I got the harness on my supergun from jammaboards.com, but they seem to be unreliable (look for their feedback in feedback forum). The power supply I use is a Meanwell RT125A, got it at jameco. Great power supply for a supergun, even if it's not the less expensive one.

Regards.