Metal Slug 5 Boot

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I gambled on a $25 buy-it-now Metal Slug 5 on eBay and it turned out to be a boot. I took some pictures of the board while cleaning it, so I might as well post them for posterity's sake.

_DSC0547.jpg
_DSC0546.jpg
_DSC0545.jpg

Last edited:

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Lol. These boards are hilariously booterific. For 25 bucks it's not terrible.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Boot with an Altera chip, lol.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Ouch, never trust e-bay sellers... never.

This is the place to buy shit, "we care a lot!".

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
When I first received it, it would fail to boot about 25% of the time. After cleaning the boards and reflowing every solder point on the upper board and replacing its cap, it now it boots every time. I'll finish up the bottom board when my next order of caps comes in, if I still have the will.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
link to the auction?

so people :up: what kind of fast talking used car salesman wordplay trickery to watch out for?

edit:know

Last edited:

MuppeT

War Room Troll
report it to ebay and open a case to get your money back asap. they will tell you to keep it and destroy it.. you decide.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Anyone else notice that bootleg is using a couple of SNK chips? NEO-ZMC and NEO-273 it seems.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I dunno man, for 25 bucks its not a bad deal. Does it play like the original or are there any bugs? Kinda hard to cry foul over a $25 Slug 5... game sells for 120+

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I don't want to report the seller. He was a friendly guy who made me a great price on a bundle. For an extra $20 (including free Priority shipping) I got a 1-slot MVS marquee with 1945 mini marquee attached, three original jamma connectors, two nice Happ sticks, and a bunch of random nice Happ parts like coin reject buttons and whatnot that he used to fill the box.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Yeah I agree, there's no real point in disputing over such a small amount. $25 is an okay price for a bootleg as long as it works good. Now if you had paid the going rate for a real Metal Slug 5, then yeah go ahead and file a claim.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
At least it's not Slug '6'. Interesting looking boot too.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I just realized that there is a CPS-2 kick harness in the box too. I'm definitely not complaining about this purchase.

Thunderblaze16

New Challenger
I remember seeing the listing for it and was highly tempted to buying it, what stopped me? I still don't have an AES to MVS converter.

Still for $25 to play the game on actual hardware rather than emulation isn't bad at all for this game.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
There are a few converters available and some are better than others.

I know you'll do your homework, just wanted to mention it.