What's Your Favorite Platformer?

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
As far as ones not already listed, I'd have to say Yoshi's Island, The Lion King, Skyblazer, and Castle/World of Illusion are some of my all-time favorites.

I also share the love for Kirby's Adventure, Sonic 1-3, Mega Man X, DKC, and Aladdin.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Super Mario World
Sonic the Hedgehog
Donkey Kong Country Returns

Those are my top 3. Tough to pick just one.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
A couple odd ones that come to mind that I enjoy and I don't think have been mentioned:

Little Nemo
Kid Chameleon

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I've always been exceptionally fond of good platformers, especially of the 2D variety. I grew up on the NES so I guess maybe nostalgia has a lot to do with it. I have to say some of my all time favorites are:

Kirby's Adventure
Tomba!
Joe & Mac
Braid
Klonoa
DKC
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 3 (the NES version)
Super Mario World (Super Mario Bros 4)
Sonic The Hedgehog (Game Gear/MS)
Sonic The Hedgehog (Mega Drive)
Sonic 2 (Mega Drive)
Donkey Kong Country 1/2/3
Rygar (Atari Lynx)
Wizball (C64)
Beyond the Ice Palace (C64)
Captured (C64)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
3D: Mario 64
2D: SMW2: Yoshi's Island

Between the two, I would go with Mario 64.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Another vote for Super Mario World being quite possibly the best platformer of all time. The game is pretty much flawless from start to stop.

I noticed Joe and Mac listed earlier...that is a highly overlooked game and a pure blast to play 2 player.

Unless I missed it, Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES) hasn't been mentioned yet...that game is just awesome, especially 2 player.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Too many to count. The usual suspects: Mario, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Yoshi etc. Notable mention: Bucky O'Hare on the NES. Great game!

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Yokai_douchuuki_arcadeflyer.png
Not my all time favorite but a game most of us recognize and nobody plays: Youkai Douchuuki. There was a famicom and Pc Engine port and both are dirt common and many people have it in their pce collection and never get far because there's a very specific way to play and a couple questions in Japanese that are make or break your chance of success in the game.
I beat it a year ago and hated it at first. Then I played it a little more and watched the Game Center CX episode on it and gave it some real attention. Next thing I was hooked on it and played for hours for several days until I beat it. It's one of those kinds of games where you have to play perfectly in order to beat it. It's only 15 minutes to complete. Namco as sadistic mother fuckers. You can not idle in the game or they send stuff that kills you instanly all over the screen. You have to earn certain amounts of money (collected from enemies) to progress in several spots in the game. There is some milking oppertunities but if you exploit them too much you will be punished. The music is very annoying and loops infinitely but after a while you like it more and more.
The ending is really interesting and test how well you have mastered the game mechanics and platforming. You are in purgatory and have to prove how good of a person you are in order to make it to heaven. You have to make it to the top without jumping on any frogs or collecting any money at all.
I would highly recommend this game for people who like classic Namco games and challenging classic arcade platformers. It's a pretty highly regarded game in Japan.

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
I would say my overall favorite is either Sonic the Hedgehog 2 or Sonic 3 and Knuckles. I believe Sonic 3 to be the better game from an objective viewpoint but Sonic 2 is the first Genesis game I saw or played as a kid. I believe I was 5 or 6 and had a Sega Master System at the time but saw my friend playing this game and fell in love with it.

Honorable mentions go to Bonk's Revenge and Super Mario Brothers 3.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
On the NES, I'd have to go with SMB 3, Kirby's Adventure, and the Mega Man Series. Solid titles.

On SNES, DKC 1 & 2 top my list. I spent hours playing and replaying those games. Mega Man X was a game changer for the series. (I never had the SNES cart until recently. I actually had a PC version and played the game using a Gravis Gamepad.) SMW was pretty awesome too.
When I first got my SNES for Christmas one year, I remember getting a game called Kendo Rage. Not a fav. but worth mentioning.

For N64, Mario 64 and DK64 were my go-to platformers.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Sonic 1 (Megadrive)
Sonic 1 (Master system)
Kirby's adventure (nes)
Kirby's crystal shards (n64)
Mario 64 (n64)
Mario Galaxy 2 (wii)
Alex the kidd:miracle world (master system) - highly underrated game

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
There's a lot of games posted already I agree with, so let me call out a more recent platformer that's probably a bit under appreciated:

Mutant Mudds Deluxe

Very solid platformer. It's definitely slower than a lot of games and requires very precise, methodical platforming. Additionally there's a few different upgrades your character can get, but you can only bring 1 into a level at a time which adds some strategy and planning to the game. At the end you can unlock an extra character and set of levels that let you use all the power ups at once and the levels make you use them all. There's a new game coming out soon that's basically a new set of even harder levels.

Oh yeah, and it's one of the few modern-retro games to actually pull off an amazing soundtrack:

Last edited:

Steve

The Wonder Years,
SNES was a great system and I wish I knew more about the games for it but at the time it came out I was all about arcades and arcade ports, the NES was in some ways better than the arcade back in the day, Contra NES> Contra Arcade, the same could be said about the sequel and Life Force but I'm getting way out of topic here. I'd like to see some SNES recommends, I have the usual suspects.

I can give you some SNES platforming recommends.

Prehistorik Man is one of the most underrated games on the system IMO. I rarely ever see people talk about it, but I think it's just shy of "great." I'd say it's very good and definitely a game every platforming fan who owns a SNES should have in their collection.

I haven't yet played PLOK but I've always heard good things about it.

Along similar lines, I've heard good things about a couple titles you might not think are good games, but actually own a good reputation along the lines of "I thought this game would suck but you know what I actually kinda liked it"

Michael Jordan Chaos in the Windy City and Cool Spot.

Again, I haven't played those games quite yet, but they have good reps.

I just recently beat CLAYMATES and while I wouldn't give it a HARD recommend, I did enjoy it and would give it a mild recommend. You play as a bob of clay who throughout the 18 levels can find various colored balls of clay that turn you into 1 of 5 different animals, each one with their own strengths and weaknesses. Nice looking game, sound gameplay (for the most part) but some of the later levels are get a bit maddening.

Speaking of hard platformers, another one is Rocky Rodent. Not great or anything, but it's definitely more than playable and it's got that classic early-mid '90s Sonic-y platforming feel. Hard as nails, though. But worth a look for $10 or less.

And while it's more of an action platformer, B.O.B. is pretty underrated IMO.

Hook and SkyBlazer (both developed by the same company and it shows) are also nice games. Hook a bit on the slow side but beautiful Capcom-esque visuals and music.

Finally, while it's not a platformer (it's a top-down action blast 'em up), I recommend checking out True Lies. A surprisingly good movie game. Cartoony blood and lots of dark humor. For instance, the bad guys can kill the innocent old ladies in the mall by way of grenades. Hilariously dark stuff that you didn't see a whole lot of on the SNES. Tough as bricks too but there are password cheats that make it a lot more consumable if you lack the patience to master the level and nuances. It's also refreshing to play a game that features some levels you don't see as often in a game. For example, instead of a fire or ice level, you get to play a level set on the docks. Another one takes you through a lengthy maze-like subway. The game throws a slightly different look your way, and it's one definitely worth looking into.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Many of my favorites were already mentioned. Another one I really like is Quack Shot for the Mega Drive.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
High Seas Havoc is pretty underrated, it's a sonic clone but it's pretty good and fairly difficult if memory serves correct.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
My 3 favs are:
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario World
Sonic 2

I'm playing through the famicom mini series version of SMB on an anniversary Gameboy micro right now and it is bliss.

EDIT: I'll also give a nod to Mutant Mudds. I haven't played the Wii U version, but the 3DS one is awesome.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
wonderboy.jpg