What's Your Favorite Platformer?

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I've always been exceptionally fond of good platformers, especially of the 2D variety. I grew up on the NES so I guess maybe nostalgia has a lot to do with it. I have to say some of my all time favorites are:

Kirby's Adventure
Tomba!
Joe & Mac
Braid
Klonoa
DKC

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Just straight up platformer.

Super Mario Bros. So good in every possible way, my favorite Mario as well. Lost Levels is a good challenge once you feel you've done everything you possibly can in SMB. We all played it when we were kids and played the shit out of it, so it's a good come back where you can get your reflexes back, you know you still remember all the tricks, shortcuts, moments where you can just hold that B button and go! So much greatness, the way Mario moved was awesome, he slides perfect, the break sounds good, you catch everything on the fly, so intuitive, for me there's hardly anything better.

Super Mario World is also amazing but I feel that like SMB3 it just started to slow down, 3 and SMW share these moments that break up gameplay in favor of bonus stages, maps, and tons of secrets which is cool but sometimes you find yourself just running safely just for the sake of flying and picking coins, I lot of the time you spent looking for secret stuff and unlock everything, I liked it but I always found the gameplay of the first SMB so much more dynamic.

Action Platformer, well there's no better than Ninja Gaiden III NES but I'm not sure if that will count in this thread. So many good ones though, Ninja Spirit PCE/Arcade, BATMAN (Sunsoft City) NES is also excellent and of course Megaman 2, there's also Bionic Commando NES. NES is definitely the best console for action platformers, of course there are tons of disasters but the good ones are just straight up gems. Castlevania is in a league of its own being the true first of its kind which basically spawned a genre. Superb game, fantastic music.

Then there's the one screen ones, I really like Nightmare in the Dark, it's probably my favorite but Donkey Kong is always great to play, also Bang Bang Busters is a lot of fun, way more fun than I ever thought it would have been. I'm a sucker for this genre of platformers 'cause I started with Game & Watch and a lot of this games were at the arcades, like DK, Joust, Popoye, of course Pac-Man and stuff but I could play DK Jr. and the Mickey's Firehouse was awesome with Game & Watch. Hell my first game I ever got to play was Parachute Game & Watch, amazing addictive crazy fucking game, insane! The DS had 2 Game & Watch collections and they are way better than the GB/GBC/GBA ever could reproduce, I play these games on my original DS 'cause of the reflective LCD screen and it brings that authentic feel which is so great, the graphics look like LCD stencils, amazing! They mix Octopus and Parachute together, the game is insane, they even added multipliers which bring so much more fun and eagerness to score high.

SNES was a great system and I wish I knew more about the games for it but at the time it came out I was all about arcades and arcade ports, the NES was in some ways better than the arcade back in the day, Contra NES> Contra Arcade, the same could be said about the sequel and Life Force but I'm getting way out of topic here. I'd like to see some SNES recommends, I have the usual suspects.

I never quite Kirby a shot until recently and then it was a rude awakening 'cause some of these games are actually really good, the GBA Nightmare in Dreamland was great. I have a few here and there not all. I heard good things about Tomba and Klonoa but I have yet to try those games.

The New Super Mario Brothers Wii U is pretty awesome, all those challenges are ridiculous, Nintendo is giving a little for everyone that likes Mario for very different reasons. I'm not a fanboy but I like the games.

My love is with NES, I could do with just that console for the rest of my life, everdrive...I'm all set.

My favorite Action platformers in no particular order

Ninja Gaiden III NES
Ninja Spirit PCE/Arcade
BATMAN (Sunsoft City) NES
Super Mario Bros. NES
G.I. Joe Taxan NES
Castlevania NES
Ninja Gaiden I & II NES
Megaman 2 NES
Bionic Commando NES
Super Mario World SNES
Super Castlevania IV SNES
Castlevania Rondo of Blood Turbo Duo
Super Ghoul n' Ghosts SNES
Hagane SNES
Cannon Dancer/OSMAN Arcade
Shadow of the Ninja NES
Ninja Five-0 GBA (Prolly one of my favorite games ever)
Kabuki Quantum Fighter NES (Thank you Lonesage, I got to No Death Run that sucker, I know it's not hard but still.)

I could keep going...

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I'm probably wrong but...New Super Luigi XBrosX U you gotta go all fast so I think I must be doing something right when I 'win'.

my parents were divorcing when we got our nintendo so even tho OG super Mario's good and all my nostalgia factor is limited. I was never a big time gamer so all the other platforms and anything obscure I have no idea. well I guess I got back into it when I moved out and got psx and dreamcast?

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I heard good things about Tomba and Klonoa but I have yet to try those games.

If you happen to have a modded PS1, I would high suggest 'obtaining' a copy of these. They're beautiful and play really well. I prefer Tomba! over Klonoa in gameplay mechanics, but Klonoa over Tomba! in art and design. I still play both all the way through every few years.

BATMAN (Sunsoft City) NES
Megaman 2 NES

I can't beat Batman without cheating. I have a fondness for all the comic book NES games (even the LJN ones).

MegaMan 2 I honestly have never played. I remember renting 1 and 4 when I was a kid, but never played 2. I've listened to the soundtrack a bunch though. I hope that isn't blasphemy. If I could set aside a month of doing nothing but playing video games, that would probably be the first one i pick up.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I can't beat Batman without cheating. I have a fondness for all the comic book NES games (even the LJN ones).

Sunsoft Batman is brutal for sure. I recall how hard it was for me to beat as a kid when it was new. Took many, many, many tries. Probably the hardest game I've ever beat.

By cheating are you talking about using a Game Genie, or?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
That's a tough question. Here's what I got:

Super Mario Bros.
Bonk's Revenge
Legendary Axe II
Sonic the Hedgehog
Pitfall II
Impossible Mission

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I know platformer can be interpreted a few ways but I count these 5 as some of my favs.
All Mario bros games
Duck tales
Bionic commando
Ghouls n ghosts
Super metroid (I count this although I guess it can fall under other genres to).

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
No particular order.

Super Mario World SNES
Ghouls and Ghosts Genesis
Castlevania Rondo Turbo Duo
Magician Lord Neo Geo
Revenge of Shinobi Genesis
Braid XBox 360
Psychonauts Xbox
Sonic 1 Genesis
Rayman 2 Dreamcast

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
sonic and knuckles
super ghouls n ghosts
donkey kong country
gex
shinobi 3
strider
adventure island
super mario 3d world
bomberman hero
mystical ninja

some of my favorites

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
+1 for Legendary Axe & Caveman Ninja (i picked up Spin Master because it has some influences).

I guess some of my favourites are Wonderboy 3 Dragons Trap, NewZealand Story, Bonk 2, Rastan, Quartet, Shinobi, Kenseiden....mostly action platformers.

escarioth

n00b
the best platformer i played

-Castlevania series (especially rondo of blood)
-Legendary Axe
-all 2D metroids
-Bonk's revenge
-Mischief makers
-Sonic genesis/gba
-Shovel knight... god i love that game

Reaperman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Cocoron on FC is one that I really like which strays a bit from the beaten path. I like the DIY character construction system.

Otherwise I'm still a bit of a sucker for Sonic 2, Aladdin, and Metroid.

I had fun with Antichromatic on Ouya, but can't remember if it was really 'favorites' good, or if I was just so happy to see something resembling a real game on that system.

Last edited:

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Cocoron on FC is one that I really like which strays a bit from the beaten path. I like the DIY character construction system.

Otherwise I'm still a bit of a sucker for Sonic 2, Aladdin, and Metroid.

I had fun with Antichromatic on Ouya, but can't remember if it was really 'favorites' good, or if I was just so happy to see something resembling a real game on that system.

I'm gonna have to check out that Fami title.

Sonic 3>2 ;)

I've considered picking up an Oyua from Goodwill. I had faith in that tiny little box. It's disappointing to see how it didn't last.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I like quite a few, but for console action platform I suppose these are my favorites.

Tokkyu Shirei Solbrain/ Shatterhand
Ninja Gaiden
Gun-Dec/Vice Project Doom
Castlevania
Ninja Crusaders
Mega Man X
Hagane
Super Shinobi II/ Shinobi III

This thread doesn't belong in General.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I love these topics. Makes me check out games that I normally wouldnt have heard of or even bothered with.

Not in any order:

SMB 1, 3, Lost Levels
Wing of Madoola - Famicom
Mighty Bomb Jack - NES
Metroid 1 & 2
Castlevania 1, 2, 3, Bloodlines, Rondo, SOTN, Chronicles
Contra, Super C, Hard Corps
Rolling Thunder
Blue Shadow - NES
Batman - NES
Ninja Gaiden 1-3
X-Men 2: Clone Wars
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Target: Earth (Assault Suit Leynos)
Shadow Blasters - Genesis
Shadow Dancer
Mega Man 1, 2, 3
Vice: Project Doom (I know, but the actual platforming levels are fucking great)
Sly Spy - Arcade
Rastan - Arcade
Astal

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Strict platformers:

Obiously SMB 1-World
Sonic the Hedgehog
Blue's Journey (imo a very underrated game and can be very fun with 2 players)
Pitfall 2
Spyro

Action platformers:

Super Metroid (i like it allot, though i seem to enjoy watching speedruns more then actually playing it)
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Spinmaster

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Super Mario World.
It's perfect, easy to get into and beat. Tons of stuff for advanced players.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I'm probably going to make a list of everything that gets posted that I haven't played and get to it... When I retire.

Reaperman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Sonic 3>2 ;)
I've heard that from lots of folks, but I always thought the levels flowed a bit better in Sonic 2. Neither are perfect, IMO, but it feels like 3 had more 'stop and fumble with the gimmick' moments than sonic 2. I never cared much for 3's shields, either, but that's a comparatively minor gripe.

Come to think of it, the first sonic advance game was damn solid too. (I haven't spent much time with the other two)

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Wrong section of the forums.

Since this is NEO GEO General Discussion, i'd have to say Spin Master.

Otherwise... not sure. Most of the Mario games are good. Duck Tales. The Kirby games. Tiny Toon Adventures.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
The Donkey Kong Series is my all time favorites. I'll never grow tired of playing those.