The 1992 game selection - your favorites?

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Art of Fighting for me. Not the best game on that list by a long shot but it's a solid fighter with massive sprites and meaty gameplay. It's the only AOF game I return to again and again.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Art of Fighting for me. Not the best game on that list by a long shot but it's a solid fighter with massive sprites and meaty gameplay. It's the only AOF game I return to again and again.

This ^

Learning the Haoh Shoko Ken for the first time was a real treat (and innovative back then). 2P fighting with your homies was a blast with all the taunting.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Only BB2 stands out as still being playable today as it was never replaced by something better.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I'd say:

Andro Dunos
Last Resort
Viewpoint

What I like best about Viewpoint is the music of the first two stages, though.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
There were noticeably more sequels this year, along with some original titles. Art of Fighting and World Heroes debuted this year.

Andro Dunos
Art of Fighting
Baseball Stars 2
Fatal Fury 2
Football Frenzy
King of the Monsters 2
Last Resort
Mutation Nation
Ninja Commando
Quiz Meitantei Neo & Geo
Soccer Brawl
Super Sidekicks
Viewpoint
World Heroes

The titles I liked from this year are Fatal Fury 2, King of the Monsters 2 and Ninja Commando.
Out of that list, my favourites are:
Andro Dunos
Art of Fighting
Fatal Fury 2 (but superceded by FF Special)
Last Resort

The really good games started to come out in 1993, though.

Fatal Fury 2 - More fun than 1 with Street Fighter 2 like Combos, loved the sound.
Art of Fighting - Robert Garcia reminded me of Steven Segal and I liked when they fell and yelled "Ahhhhhhhhh!"
World Heroes - Dragon Lee's "Woooooo" after his fights and Brocken lookin like a Nazi-bot.

So much fun!

ckchan

Shlong King,
20 Year Member
I spent most of the time in playing Fatal Fury 2, indeed I can only afford one AES title at that time.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
There's something about Andro Dunos that keeps me coming back. I've read some people are turned off by the graphics, but I think they're great. My only complaint is that the game uses instant respawn instead of a checkpoint system. I know checkpoints had fallen out of favor for this type of game by the time Andro Dunos came out, but I've always really liked them. Oh well, I suppose - not having popular opinions leads to disappointment.

Hypnos

War Room Troll
Art of Fighting my favourite fighting game forever!
Next great titles:
Andro Dunos
Fatal Fury 2
Last Resort
Mutation Nation
Ninja Commando
Viewpoint
World Heroes

Good year for SNK!

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
andro dunos, last resort, mutation nation, got to add that andro dunos is one of my favourite neo games of all time, great shooter and very underrated.

Black_Tiger

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The shooters are the most enjoyable for me today, although at the time I would have picked some of the fighters and beat 'em ups.

So now it's Andro Dunos, Last Resort and Viewpoint.

In 1992 I would've picked Fatal Fury 2, World Heroes and Mutation Nation.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Art of Fighting, Baseball Stars 2, Fatal Fury 2, and World Heroes. Put tons of quarters into the Neo Geo at a local deli/arcade around that time, especially on these games.

Thunderblaze16

New Challenger
Wow, had no idea Viewpoint was released THAT early. I never looked at it's release date but assumed it was one of the last Neo Geo titles to be released from it's impressive 3D-ish looking graphics and it was one of those early 1st titles ported to the PS1.

Neat.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Wow, had no idea Viewpoint was released THAT early. I never looked at it's release date but assumed it was one of the last Neo Geo titles to be released from it's impressive 3D-ish looking graphics and it was one of those early 1st titles ported to the PS1.

Neat.

"Last Neo Geo titles" "early 1st titles ported to the PS1"?

Would it also blow your mind to know SNK Playmore's last Neo Geo game was in 2004? And that there were six games released in 2003?

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Yeah and i do believe that the aes has got the longest lifespan of any console released as well, correct me if i'm wrong guy's but it's 1990-2004 and officially a 4th gen console...

Black_Tiger

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yeah and i do believe that the aes has got the longest lifespan of any console released as well, correct me if i'm wrong guy's but it's 1990-2004 and officially a 4th gen console...

The PC Engine technically received commercially published software across 11.5 years.

The Famicom library spans 12 years.

The Playstation 2 library spans 12.5 years.

The Sega Master System library spans 13 years.

The Sega Mega Drive library spans 14 years (1988 - 2002).

So the Neo Geo received commercial software about as long as any other console and other consoles released not long before or after came close.

It's impressive that any early consoles lasted longer than their generations, let alone spanning several.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I really like this year, very symbolic for me as I was 15 years old at the time, prolly one of my favorite years aside from 1988 and 1999.

Andro Dunos
Art of Fighting
Baseball Stars 2
Fatal Fury 2
Last Resort
Mutation Nation
Ninja Commando
Super Sidekicks
Viewpoint
World Heroes