GBA SP repair?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Hey gents,

So I've been playing my GBA SP model 101 and its starting to get annoying. Everytime the console moves just a smidge in my hands, it freezes the game and makes it unplayable. I have absolutely no skill in fixing these things and wouldn't know what to look for, SL if anyone knows the issue and can fix it for me, that would be ideal.

Hell, I'll even buy a cheapo DSlite just to use as a GBA because of the screens. I just want to play me some castlevania!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hey gents,

So I've been playing my GBA SP model 101 and its starting to get annoying. Everytime the console moves just a smidge in my hands, it freezes the game and makes it unplayable. I have absolutely no skill in fixing these things and wouldn't know what to look for, SL if anyone knows the issue and can fix it for me, that would be ideal.

Hell, I'll even buy a cheapo DSlite just to use as a GBA because of the screens. I just want to play me some castlevania!

IMHO, it's difficult to diagnose the issue with your GBA only with your description, however it sounds like something is loose inside. Maybe you can disassemble it (carefully) and take pics of its inside? that way maybe the damage can be seen by somebody with knowledge and can help you fixing it.

Regards.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Could be something as simple as cleaning the pins in the cart connector.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
GBA's are surprisingly easy to work on. Don't be afraid to open it up and clean it really well and go from there. Although probably not related, if you get it working throw a new battery in it too.

Have you tried multiple games?

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
And you can always mod a standard GBA with the screen of the 101 you have (or get it modded). I like the shape of the standard GBA more, than the SP btw.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
And you can always mod a standard GBA with the screen of the 101 you have (or get it modded). I like the shape of the standard GBA more, than the SP btw.

I agree with this, by far the best thing to do with 101 SPs. You can also get glass screen lenses for the original GBA so it won't scratch in your pocket.

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
0fa11ed2d4975ef39f110f35a55c5c42.jpg

Oh yeah, glass lens all the way!

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
That looks dead-on like my GBA Backlit.
Except, you know, no Mother 3.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Thanks for the info gents I never thought of modding the OG GBA with a 101 screen, I'd love that as I prefer the body of the OG GBA.

I think the problem is the pins, as the game doesn't snap in as snug as other systems. I'll crack it open and check it out

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Is there anyone selling the backlit LCDs anymore? Or is a 101 screen the only way to go?

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
Nope rosecoloredgaming literally raped the market empty.

Last edited:

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
If someone made a kickstarter to make anothher production run of 101 screens I would be all over that.

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
Maybe have a look at alibaba for bulk orders
http://m.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=lcd+gba+sp

Last edited:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
the hardest part of doing the GBA Backlight mod is lining up the converter cable with the screen cable without yanking it out or leaving it too loose.

Hot glue is recommended, as there isn't much play in the flat flex cable and the connector is a little loose, it's also designed so that the point where the 101 screen plugs into the converter rests on a small empty spot of the PCB, but the cable is just barely too long to rest it there comfortably. A small dab of hot glue is recommended again, just to hold it there until the shell is re-assembled and screwed shut.

Soldering the wires is simple, provided you have flux. There are plenty of easy places to grab 3.3V and GND on the GBA original.

Also, if you're doing the glass screen replacement, get some thin double sided tape.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
I got 1-2 sp-101 for parts. If anyone needs for donors let me know.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I just decided to roll with a DS Lite when my SP started giving me trouble, other than the non ability to remap buttons, and the screen being a tiny bit underscanned it's totally fine imo.