Out Zone Prototype? What do you think?

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I just found a super rare "Aut Zoon" prototype, this is even before the game was named Out Zone :lol:

Now on a serious note:

I bought this game as a non working PCB. At a first look, i thought it had some strange repair job, but after closer inspection i realised that the majority of components are in different places. Even the mask roms on the "additional" pcb are original.

Is this some kind of prototype, early release,a different revision i missed on my google search, or what?

I already dumped the 3 eproms and they don't match any of the eproms available in mame.

If this really is something "special", i won't even dare to try to repair it, i will just send it to someone with experience.

Here are a couple of pics:

eZ5hzcCl.jpg

BqzvkKjl.jpg

9tHg1Yrl.jpg

uOXm0bRl.jpg

N5mwc7bl.jpg

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've noticed that there are Korean parts on the board.

Are you familiar with the Korean version/versions of this board at all? I'm not.

Last edited:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I've noticed that there are Korean parts on the board.

Are you familiar with the Korean version/versions on this board at all? I'm not.

No i am not. It does say "made in japan" though...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I don't think it's a proto strictly because of the eprom stickers, same as the final product. Most likely an edited version to comply with Korea's videogame policies.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Different game. That is Autism Zone.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Over at shmups the guys pointed that this must be a factory conversion from a Zero Wing PCB.

Seems to have 2 loop difficulty right from the start.

I will try to get it repaired and give some feedback.

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
It's an in house Toaplan conversion, I have the exact same board .DSCF5848.jpg

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
It's an in house Toaplan conversion, I have the exact same board .View attachment 26714

Thanks a lot for your input CaseyTappy, seems like there is no doubt about that right now. Does yours start with 2nd loop difficulty?

The only thing that i'm trying to figure out is the eproms/roms versions, seems like mine are a different version or maybe there is just something wrong with them...

I will post the final conclusion as soon as i have a definite answer.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
There are different versions for sure, but my memory is unclear.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-PCB-(Set-2-if-possible!!-)&highlight=Outzone

This link for instance, describes music and difficulty changes. Another member says they had a version where they noticed different enemy patterns (which I seem to remember when watching gameplay videos).

Also, a vague memory of an old OutZone site in Japanese makes me wonder if all the later bonuses were in all versions of the game. Opethian here seems to know something related to the bonuses as well:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...Outzone-PCB-(Taiwan-Region)&highlight=Outzone

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Necrobump for help:

I got this PCB fixed but as i was expecting, this is the BRUTAL version,lol, the game is so hard that's totally not funny.

I've tried the dipswitches to at least set it to Easy but nothing seems to match online info, not even the Zero Wing version.

The perfect scenario would be to burn the "regular eproms" and use them in this PCB, but i've been told by the guy who repaired the game that's not possible because this version uses "especilaly adapted eproms" for this hardware. In order to use the regular eproms, they would have to be adapted aswell.

Can anybody give me a hint on this matter?

Last edited:

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
Mine is stored away with most of my arcade stuff at the moment so I cant help you for some time, I don't remember mine being unforgiving hard compared to Mame though .

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Mine is stored away with most of my arcade stuff at the moment so I cant help you for some time, I don't remember mine being unforgiving hard compared to Mame though .

His board is not the same as the regular ones. Are you sure you have the same set?

It's one of those "legit factory conversions" by Toaplan.

I believe it start right from the beginning with 2nd loop difficulty.

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
His board is not the same as the regular ones. Are you sure you have the same set?

It's one of those "legit factory conversions" by Toaplan.

I believe it start right from the beginning with 2nd loop difficulty.

Look back in the thread for a picture of mine !

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Look back in the thread for a picture of mine !

I clicked on the quicklink. Haven't seen the other posts tho. :)

I might be just _rm_ that needs some Out Zone training :cool:

I don't have the same board but... I can do better:
IMG_20160623_001437.jpg

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
CaseyTappy has the exact same PCB, so i assume it has the same eproms...

@Atro - You and your big mouth... If you can reach the end of Stage 2 (yes, stage 2) on your first try you can take the game for free, otherwise i will take yours. Wanna bet?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
CaseyTappy has the exact same PCB, so i assume it has the same eproms...

@Atro - You and your big mouth... If you can reach the end of Stage 2 (yes, stage 2) on your first try you can take the game for free, otherwise i will take yours. Wanna bet?

Sorry. I don't trust frankenboards ^_^'
still have stuff for you.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Sorry. I don't trust frankenboards ^_^'
still have stuff for you.

What took you so long to reply? Training?

Now on a serious note:
You have to try this sucker and tell me what you think

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
What took you so long to reply? Training?

easyJet is driving me nuts lately. Too much work. I don't check this board as often as I should do.
I don't know if my Fixeight board is as that board difficulty wise. I find it abusively hard.

But yeah, we have to try that mofo one day :cool:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Important update to however has this version:

Seems like dip 1 ON (from Sw1) approaches the game to the "regular" version in terms of difficulty. This has yet to be confirmed alongside another PCB, but at least it's playable,lol.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
As the Outzone conversions where originally Zero Wing boards you might want to consult the ZW manual for any dip settings .

http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-videogames/Z/Zero Wing pin DIP.pdf

Edit
Can't test but just had a look in storage and mine is on setting:

View attachment 38224

????

I've seen these 2 sites:
http://www.solvalou.com/subpage/arcade_dips/Z/zerowing
http://www.arcaderestoration.com/gamedips/10623/All/Zero+Wing.aspx

The info was different but none seemed to produce the correct effect on my board.

According to that scan, your board (mine was like that aswell) was already at Easy mode from factory. I don't think so...

Last edited:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Ok, seems like the correct info is on page 4 of the document.

Don't understand why they even mention 3 dipswitch banks in the first page when the game only has 2 :confused:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Nice, so did you get it out of hard mode?